Potassium Permanganate Vs. Hydrogen Peroxide

lynda441

As we are beginning to find out, PP is illegal here in California. When I did some research into why, it appears that it is because it is non-organic, carcinogenic, creates toxic by-products and does not dissipate in the ground table. This study appears to suggest that hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative as it is not harmful to humans or the environment, produces no harmful by-products and, from a vanity standpoint!, does not stain. It would be nice to find a substitute for PP since we can't get it here and, let's face it, to take care of our land too!

Potassium Permanganate vs. Hydrogen Peroxide Study

Oh wow, when you guys kept saying that you can't get PP in California, I didn't know you meant it's ILLEGAL!! I have never used PP myself, which is why I don't know too much about it. I always sterilize my plants and tanks with bleach solutions, which is far easier to get and use.

Thomas says you can use hydrogen peroxide to sterilize things, though we haven't used it ourselves. He says it reacts with mostly organic things, which is what we would want it to react with.

As we are beginning to find out, PP is illegal here in California. When I did some research into why, it appears that it is because it is non-organic, carcinogenic, creates toxic by-products and does not dissipate in the ground table. This study appears to suggest that hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative as it is not harmful to humans or the environment, produces no harmful by-products and, from a vanity standpoint!, does not stain. It would be nice to find a substitute for PP since we can't get it here and, let's face it, to take care of our land too!

Potassium Permanganate vs. Hydrogen Peroxide Study

Go figure :blink: . I can get PP legal, but not Prazi, which has no side effect what so ever. Why, why, why? :krazy:

Be careful with HP, it can give blisters when it is not strongly diluted.

This is another one that I find absolutely ridiculous. PP is, of course, non-organic. So are millions of chemicals and compounds. That does not mean that they are all something, somehow, terrible. PP oxidixes. So does bleach. There are many such sterilizing agents. For this reason, they cannot be beat. No organism can develop an immunity to their sterilizing properties. They KILL organic things. That is what they are meant to do.

Are there "bad" things you can do with PP? SURE. SO MANY ordinary things we have available in our cupboards lend themselves to awful actions. Give me a bottle of ammonia and a bottle of bleach, a car and a metal drum and I can easily terrorize the whole city - kill and maim and horrify thousands. It takes NOTHING to do so. But are they going to outlaw cars or bleach or ammonia? Cannot do it. Such is PP. In the "wrong" hands, yes, it can be misused - and dramatically so. But anyone with even a modicum of common sense, there is not much that you can/will do with it other than accidentally stain your hands or your clothes brown.

As a cancer causing agent - that has never been directly proven or even indicated. (So amn of those studies are flawed - and, for that matter, one of the few things that ha DIRECT links to deadly cancer (smoking products) are still used and sold over the counter. Go figure) As "harmful" to the environment - PP not only is it sooooo much less harmful than dumping bleach in the drain, the soaps that you use in your laundry, the backwash water from your backyard swimming pool. The pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers used in a kitchen garden have more residual affect on the environment and water table.

As soon as PP comes into contact with biological material, it reacts - and deactivates. It is then a benign amber chemical - harmless. Biological matter is everywhere in the world - that is what makes the EArth so great. There is very little that is "clean" enough not to deactivate PP rather quickly. It takes a fairly large amount - concentration. It does not corrode. It does not remain in the environment. It does not continue to sterilize after deactivation. PP can be used to sterilize small life forms without harming larger life forms - simply with control of concentration. There is no residual afterwards. It can be instantly and completely deactivated with HP.

HP, on the other hand, is much more difficult to get - in concentrations that actually will DO something. It is a very strong chemical in higher concentrations - as noted, can BURN. It will keep burning and eating through flesh until removed. There are MANY things that can be done with HP that are just as "terror"" inducing. It requires much higher concentrations of much longer duration to do the same sterilizing job. The by-porducts are benign when "used up". You would need at least 1 gallon of the dilution readily available on the shelf of HP to do the same job that 1/16 tsp or less of PP crystals will do.

I have absolutely no qualms about using PP. I use it with knowledge and caution, but I will use it. It is VERY VERY effective and controlable. I have difficulty using HP. I cannot get concentration enough, it does not do as effective and complete a job and it takes FAR longer to do any job. When HP is used in concentrations to effectively sterilize as does PP, it is a very STRONG oxydizer - bleaching clothing/hands and burning skin. Since it is not easily deactiveate, it must be greatly diluted before disposal.

JMO

But anyone with even a modicum of common sense

Once you spend any time at all in California, you will see that this statement is completely inapplicable to 98% of the people. Common sense has ceased to exist in this state. It baffles me too. But, this is what we have to live with, so we "adapt." We're forced to.

I just read an entire article on how HP can be used to clean and sterilize more safely than bleach, but I do agree that the higher concentration is hard to find so that may be where the problems come in.