Anybody In So-cal With A Pond Or Big Tank?

I just picked up a used tank last night (there is another thread on that) and it came way overstocked with fish. The real reason it is overstocked is the rather giant common...As my husband said, "he looks like something you would catch in a lake." The fantail is showing signs of stress from being in such terrible water conditions, but when well-taken care of I think she will be rather lovely. The Common is just huge and sort of breathtaking because of that.

I have an indoor pond that I'm pretty sure would take the big guy, but I thought I would see if someone close to Los Angeles (I'm in downtown) would like these guys. I know anyone here would provide a great home for them.

Some pictures below.

I'm planning to take the Zebra Cichilid to a LFS for credit, but if anyone is in love with him let me know.

post-15599-1218567316_thumb.jpg

post-15599-1218567330_thumb.jpg

post-15599-1218567342_thumb.jpg

Pretty fish! I like how the cichlid looks pink! Are you considering keeping the fantail?

I just picked up a used tank last night (there is another thread on that) and it came way overstocked with fish. The real reason it is overstocked is the rather giant common...As my husband said, "he looks like something you would catch in a lake." The fantail is showing signs of stress from being in such terrible water conditions, but when well-taken care of I think she will be rather lovely. The Common is just huge and sort of breathtaking because of that.

I have an indoor pond that I'm pretty sure would take the big guy, but I thought I would see if someone close to Los Angeles (I'm in downtown) would like these guys. I know anyone here would provide a great home for them.

Some pictures below.

I'm planning to take the Zebra Cichilid to a LFS for credit, but if anyone is in love with him let me know.

Hi Amy,

I have a friend here who is willing to take the two goldies if you want. She has a 10 ft by 15 ft by 3 and a half foot deep home made pond that she designed about 8 years ago. The fantail would go into her inside tank. If you end up needing a home for them, Kelly will give them a good home.

Hi all,

Sadly, the fantail passed on last night. She was showing the most signs of stress, her tail was deformed a bit and covered in large blisters. My guess is from the bad water conditions. The water she was in was so thick and green that I couldn't see that until I got her in cleaner water. She was in pretty bad shape and towards the end of the night it became clear that she wasn't going to recover. I was sort of considering keeping her and it makes me so sad. She was a really pretty fish.

The common was huge, probably around 8 inches. The only thing the guy had for me to transport him in was a large plastic garbage can and I put a screen over it...thank god, because he keep trying to jump out and banging into my hand. I wish I checked this post earlier, Roni and I would have brought him over to your friend's house. But he went to a pond at Aquaurium City.

What the guy thought was a Cichlid turned out to be a Kissing Gourami. He seemed very happy to be in a tank at Aquarium City and I'm sure he will get a good home.

I was really worried none of them would make it if they didn't get into a larger space soon. In just one night in the tank that I cleaned out the water turned back to a light pea green with gaint poo floating and the ammonia soared. I think even with daily water changes these guys were in bad shape in those conditions. It looks like they kept up with them for a while, but when they got moved it and the tank couldn't keep up with the continous bioload it was too much.

So the tank is empty and I'm just hoping I did right by them. I'm not totally convinced I did, but I really was in a panic about what to do. I do think this is the best store I have been to in the city and they were very careful with them (In fact, this is the first time any fish store owner ever has said that each common needs twenty gallons each (and fancy ten) and he wasn't talking to me...he was trying to help someone who just killed all fourteen of his goldies in two days). I'm going to check on them in a few days.

I'm excited about the new tank, but feel so sad for those fish. I can see the beauty of getting a new tank if you can afford it. Then you don't inherit someone else's bad fishkeeping problems.

Amy

I'm so sad that you lost the fantail. It's too bad, but we have to be positive and just look at the fact that you managed to get the other two into a good situation. Now, a Kissing Gourami! That would TOTALLY explain the pink color and it would also explain the shape. I just thought the body shape didn't fit any cichlid I'd heard of, but I was just taking the cichlid part as fact and not exploring the possibility that the guy was wrong and it was something else. Well, I'm so glad that you found them homes. I knew I liked Aquarium City. I've found that they do have people who can give good advice. It's a store you actually can listen to, but that they took both your fish is extra cool! Of course you did right by them. Don't ever question that.

No dwelling in the past. Just be positive now and look toward the future. You have a great 30 gallon tank and you can have yourself some beautiful fishie soon! :gfish::gfish::gfish: Did any of the gf at Aquarium City strike your fancy?

Thanks for making me feel better. The guy I spoke with I think was the owner and was super sweet and knowledgable (and even gave me store credit, even though I think he was doing me a favor). I'm headed back in a few days to pick up the Biospiore and I'm really torn about that cute little Calico Oranda I saw...I'm starting to get antsy about wanting another six weeks for cycling and know I can keep up with the water changes, but I also feel like my fish keeping so far has been surrounded with so much loss so far.

It is strange the guy didn't know what kind of fish he bought, but then he also said he kept trying to buy other fish and they kept dying (and I'm thinking why are you doing that when you know you are already overstocked, dummy). And I asked him what their names were and he said, "fancy goldfish", "white guy" and the "big guy." It makes me said that pretty fantail died without a name, though I was calling her "sweetpea" so maybe she did get a name after all.

Thanks for making me feel better. The guy I spoke with I think was the owner and was super sweet and knowledgable (and even gave me store credit, even though I think he was doing me a favor). I'm headed back in a few days to pick up the Biospiore and I'm really torn about that cute little Calico Oranda I saw...I'm starting to get antsy about wanting another six weeks for cycling and know I can keep up with the water changes, but I also feel like my fish keeping so far has been surrounded with so much loss so far.

It is strange the guy didn't know what kind of fish he bought, but then he also said he kept trying to buy other fish and they kept dying (and I'm thinking why are you doing that when you know you are already overstocked, dummy). And I asked him what their names were and he said, "fancy goldfish", "white guy" and the "big guy." It makes me said that pretty fantail died without a name, though I was calling her "sweetpea" so maybe she did get a name after all.

Don't be sad Amy. Her name was Sweetpea and now she's swimming in that great big pond in the sky and feeling Oh so Good. The other two are better off than they were with that guy you got the tank from too. It sounds like this store will find them good homes and take care of them the right way too. You did Good!

Thanks, Roni. And after having that big guy with me even briefly...you are going to need that big tank for Elvis. That fish was huge!

LOL, I can imagine, I've seen Kelli's monsters. Elvis is 10yo now and only 5 and a half inches long. He lived in a one gal for soooo long, I doubt he will get very big, tho you never know in that size of a tank. :)