Gel Food And The Microwave?

spencervirt

Any loving fish owner who is maybe even slightly obsessed (like me) about taking care of their fish has probably made gel food at one time or another. And im sure many of you have also become slightly wacky waiting for it to thaw (memories of dial up?) What do we all do when we want something to thaw fast? We use the microwave. Sadly, im going to call a Cease and Decist on that. It has been proven that microwaving any food kills over 85% of all the nutrients in the food. What this means is that by microwaving your gel food your fish will get LESS nutrients than pellets and will be starving for more food that their stomachs cant handle. Your fishies health food diet will turn into a disgraceful excuse for the healthfullness of McDonalds. So be "a dear" and feed your fish real food! The kitchen counter with the ample warming sunlight awaits.

Mustloveoranda

I have no specific source of information on that but heres what I know for sure- cooking whether by microwave or stove etc kills some of the nutrients in any food, but the microwave in particular is apparently murder to food. There are articles upon articles on that. Apparently, as I have read, microwaving broccoli for example completely kills its cancer reducing capability and renders it lifeless. I have hard though that some vitamins have no problem being microwaved while others die completely, three in particular die fast.

Anyway, I hope I fueled the interest there!

Mostloveoranda

Any chance of finding out where you got that information? The science geek in my boyf is dying to know.

:tomuch:

I just wanted to add ..that in the end raw from the earth is always best ..try steaming veggie foods also popping lettuce and other things into the freezer for 20 minutes and taking it out softens it ,also if you do not feel comfortable microwaving gel food remember to take it out ahead of time ..now I was wondering if just warming things up in the microwave vs cooking in the microwave would kill of nutrients ??...I hope Daryl chimes in she knows this stuff :D

Edited by hi-d

I think the problem doesn't necessarily lie in microwaving food, but in boiling it. I've been toying with the idea of a raw food diet (I'm all ready vegan) and from what I gather much of nutrients are lost in heating food over a certain temperature. I haven't made gel food in a while, so I forget the process, but isn't there a part of the process which does involve boiling the food? So, maybe gel food does lose some of it's nutrients in preparation...

I never 'nuke mine! I make a monthly batch of Mazuri which I cut into more or less one inch square pieces. I store these in an airtight container & keep it in the freezer. Each day I take enough for that days feedings & put it in a small container in the frig. This way I always have some that is not frozen & ready to feed!

Guest Isilme

Microwaving (= heating food, the same as steaming, coocking,...) can indeed damage vitamines. Some vitamines are however immune to coocking, so not all vitamines are lost (if you want to know which, I can tell you). Some vitamines are also destroyed by oxygen, light, deepfreezing,...

Microwaving and heating in broad however does not destroy carbohydrates, fat or proteins. So microwaving food does not magically removes all calories from your food (THAT would be a great idea, I could eat pizza and grilled cheese every day!), only some vitamines. As I said earlier, this is only because the heat damages the vitamines (also NOT the minerals, they are also immune).

I also don't believe that it is 85% of the vitamines. If you only thaw it (and do not cook it), the temparature rise will be small and over a very short period of time. Letting something thaw on the counter in the sunlight also destroys vitamines (sunlight, oxygen) and it takes much longer so more vitamines can be destroyed.

Another thing with thawing is that bacteria have the opportunity to grow and multiply. Thawed food in the microwave contains 60% less bacteria than food thawed on the counter (and 30% less than food thawed in the refrigarator). If I would thaw gelfood, my first option would be the microwave (but don't let the food get hot!), then the refrigerator (cold so bacteria won't grow that easily + no light + less oxygen) and the counter last, sorry...

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Isilme on this this: the damage done by microwaving is unlikely to be as high as 85% (unless you get it to boil of course), and given the chemical structure of most vitamins, which is fairly stable (although oxygen is a big no-no in keeping organic molecules stable), I would think that freezing it does just as much damage as heating it. I've gone to wikipedia as a quick source of information (I don't have the time to search for my biochemistry course book, sorry), and it among other things states that:

Vitamin C chemically decomposes under certain conditions, many of which may occur during the cooking of food. Normally,
boiling water at 100?C is not hot enough to cause any significant destruction of the nutrient, which only decomposes at 190?C, [36] despite popular opinion.
However, pressure cooking, roasting, frying and grilling food is more likely to reach the decomposition temperature of vitamin C. Longer cooking times also add to this effect, as will copper food vessels, which catalyse the decomposition.[36]

Another cause of vitamin C being lost from food is
leaching, where the water-soluble vitamin dissolves into the cooking water, which is later poured away and not consumed
. However, vitamin C doesn't leach in all vegetables at the same rate; research shows
broccoli seems to retain more than any other
.[105] Research has also shown that fresh-cut fruits don't lose significant nutrients when stored in the refrigerator for a few days.[106]

Hope this helps ...

• 1 month later...

I'm finding that the issue with microwaving isn't about killing nutrients, but about molecularly changing the gelatin into a potentially toxic element. I posted this in a separate thread, but I wanted to share it here as well.

The overwhelming majority of gel food recipes I have been able to find, including those on Kokos, utilize microwaving. I will admit, myself, that I have used the microwave to cook my gel food. I never thought much about it.

I have recently heard information that suggested we should not use the microwave to cook our gel food, but I never heard why. So, I did some research. I was only able to find one article on the reasons why we shouldn't use the microwave for gel food. It's compelling and it does concern me. It isn't about killing the protein, nutrition or neutralizing the medications. It's about the gelatin itself. This article is not about making gel food for fish, but the information should still be applicable. Here is an excerpt from that article:

"Whatever form of gelatin is used, it should never be cooked or reheated in the microwave. According to a letter published in The Lancet*, the common practice of microwaving converts l-proline to d-proline. They write, 'The conversion of trans to cis forms could be hazardous because when cis-amino acids are incorporated into peptides and proteins instead of their trans isomers, this can lead to structural, functional and immunological changes.' They further note that 'd-proline is neurotoxic and we have reported nephrotoxic and heptatotoxic effects of this compound.' In other words, the gelatin in homemade broth confers wonderous benefits, but if you heat it in the microwave, it becomes toxic to the liver, kidneys and nervous system." Why Broth is Beautiful - "Essential" Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin by Kaayla T. Daniel, MS CCN (*The Lancet is the world's leading independent general medical journal.)

While this may sound like panicking, I, personally, would rather play it safe than sorry, so I intend on throwing out all of my gel food that has been made with the microwave and make new gel food. This, however, does not need to stop us from utilizing the microwave to make our gel food. All it stops us from doing is heating the gelatin itself in the microwave. I have found no evidence suggesting that microwaving kills proteins or other nutrients (any more so than other forms of cooking). Thus, we can steam our veggies and/or fruits in the microwave and then mash them. We can cook our seafoods in the microwave and mash those. Then we heat the water, and only the water, in the microwave and then pour it into the food to be gelled and mix in the gelatin and let set. We can mash our med food into a fine powder, mix in the gelatin with that then add the hot water. I have not yet tried this method, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I will report on the results when I do. Kokos Thread: Making Gel Food In The Microwave, May Be Toxic To Our Fish