Does Anybody Need These?

Hi all,

I just picked up a used tank last night and it came with a fairly new UG filter (it is a 29 gallon). I wouldn't use it for a goldie tank, but if anyone else has a use for it and lives close to LA (I live in downtown) let me know. I sure hate to throw it away.

Best,

Amy

I use UGs and I don't have a problem with them, but I don't have a tank they'd fit in.....

I bet you keep your tank a lot cleaner than this guy did! I was so grossed out when I pulled it out and there was just layers of muck under there. I just posted a really long post about the new tank, but do you think that I should use it? The filter is a Penguin Biowheel 200 GPH, so not quite enough. The UG runs on a 60 gallon air pump. What do you think?

If I do use it how do you put yours in? Just on the bottom and rocks on top. Would it be good or bad for my plants?

A UG filter running on an airpump is going to do virtually nothing for your tank but trap detritus underneath it and make a huge, disgusting mess. The tank I rescued that sounds like it was as gross and overstocked as the one you rescued also had UG filters in it running on airpumps and a broken powerhead.

Although some people like UGs, (no offense Lynda!!) I strongly recommend against them. More trouble than they're worth.

UGs are trouble and you do have to do them just perfectly. I'm not sure I would generally recommend them to most people. I have a 4 foot long tank, so I run two Penguin 1140 Powerheads. They do an excellent job of moving the water. And the other trick that's the very most important with UGs is the gravel. You can't use a large gravel that allows the gunk to fall underneath. You have to use a very small, fine gravel (1mm) that creates an almost solid layer of substrate (of about 2") that stops the junk from getting sucked underneath and, instead, it just lays on top of the gravel waiting to be removed. So then, of course, I do very thorough vacuuming during water changes. After more than a year of running, there is virtually no gunk underneath. But, I have to admit, the two 10 gallons with bare bottoms are REALLY nice when it comes to cleanings. It's just that I'm a very visual person and my main tank is not only a home to my fish, but its' also a decorating statement; I want it to be as nice as any other interior space I might design, so I'm willing to go to the extra work to make sure it looks nice.

Hi Lynda,

I totally agree and am glad you said it. Part of the reason I love fishkeeping is that you are creating a minature world in your home and I prefer the look of gravel. I'm using a larger size rock (and so was the guy who gave me the tank). That really explains why all that junk fell under the UG.

Amy

Just wanted to get back with you on all posts. Sunday is fine with me. Can you EM yet?