Small White Worms Born From Sack In Tropical Tank

vols

Help! I watched small white worms come out of a sack. My black mollies just had fry (10) in tank and doing well. Only seen since Thursday morning. What do I do about these little worms since water change maybe difficult with fry? Once again, I have to replace some of my Tetra tests so I can't answer the good questions but I will be able to after son gets home from school. While at the store is there anything needed to get rid of these worms?

I have been reading ALL info regarding Grain's issue with worms and see how many have knowledge in this area. I have also gone to Rocky Mountain site to see what I can get to rid my tank of these things.

I saw a clear sack at bottom of tank with many clear/white worms with black heads and tails. Since I just got the black mollies less than 2 weeks ago and she had fry, I didn't know if this was how more fry were born so I left them alone. The worms are now crawling around on the rocks but after coming out of sack they went straight down to bottom of the gravel. I also see the fry nibbling on them. I don't want to hurt my 10 fry mollies because I plan on giving them away but I also don't want to destroy my tank or hurt the parents. The parents are now staying at the top of the water. It was really strange because they hovered over the worm sack yesterday like they were watching it. They took breaks on who was going to stay while one went and ate. I thought they were more fry or I would have bastered them up then! I really need help because we do have a large fish store here that may offer products that I can purchase to get rid of these things before real trouble breaks out. I would LOVE any advice that I can get from anyone!!!! HELP!!! I will be able to give water parimeters this afternoon but the dip tests shows all just peachy keen!!!!!!

I don't know if I could get a good one now but I can try. I will try. I can tell you that when they emerged from the clear sack they looked like pin worms (very small but with black on each end). They don't swim and they really don't inch. They kinda crawl with a touch of sssing like a snake would. I am trying to find a gravel that may have one on it to get a picture.

Thank you so much for even asking. I wish I could move this to 911 so someone could help me. Thank you for trying and I hope this helps.

I've never heard of worms coming from a sack before... then again, when my tank was infested with the little buggers they seemed to just appear out of nowhere so I have no idea what they might've come out of.

Where are the worms? Are they attached to the glass, or do they swim about freely in the water? Are any of them on your mollies?

If they aren't feeding off of your fish, then they are feeding off the detritus in the tank (poop, uneaten food, etc). I hate to use unnecessary and/or harsh chemicals in my tank, so what I did when I had some disgusting worms in my tank was keep it CLEAN. Very very very clean! I rinsed my filter media in a bucket of old tank water; I removed all decorations and rocks they could hide under/around; I changed the water almost daily; and I vacuumed up every little piece of poo I could find either with my gravel vac or with a turkey baster. Eventually, the worm colony starved to death.

Thank you and I am trying but because of the fy it is really hard to try to vaccum. I am going to figure it out some how. I free hand into the filter right now BUT I am going to do something.

They don't swim. They aren't attaching to the fish from what I see so far. In fact, since they are staying in gravel the fry are biting them. I hope they are just a blessing for food source for the young ones but when you read about "flukes, anchor worms, etc." then you really get freaked out. I wish I had just whipped out that sack when I saw them!

I am like you also, I don't want to start chemicals. I have been really lucky that I have not had a need for them so far and really don't want to now.

Anchor worms attach to the fish's body and usually have to be physically removed, so I'm pretty certain you haven't got any of those.

Flukes can only be seen with a microscope.

Planaria are harmless white worms that attach to the glass.

The type of worms I was blessed with was none of the above. I was never able to figure it out, but thankfully they were harmless to my fish.

Thank you so much. I feel much better. I have removed a certain amount of the bottom trash (LOL) and found a couple of very, tinny, whenny of them (I think) and they look dead after the removal from tank for a few minutes.

I think these are something that hopefully someone else has had experience and teach us all more but I am not going to freak out and med my tank until more harmful things happen.

None of these are on the side of the glass and I hope they are just dying or feeding my fry (without harm)!

A turkey baster is a useful tool for removing the junk in the tank, but also for sucking up the worms when you see them and getting them out of the tank!

I definitely freaked out when I found worms in my tank, but they were harmless yet disgusting. Try to keep things clean, keep an eye on them, and get as many out as you can. Oh, and keep us updated!

These worms don't sound like they are presenting any harm to your fish, and, indeed, your fry are having a very nutritious snack out of them as well. I don't know what they are, and it probably is still best to try and remove them, but, as I said, it doesn't sound like they're posing a threat.