Fish Swimming Without Purpose

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

This is my 30 gallon tank and it's been happily cycled for nearly 2 years. It has a BioWheel 150, a BioWheel 200, and an internal Whisper 21i. 4 small fish. 2 Fantails, 1 Lion, and 1 Bubble (who is aggressive enough to get her fair share of food)

Ping, my very first goldfish is the one who is suffering. She sort of wobbles when she swims, almost as if it's difficult, and draining. She doesn't bottom rest at all and is very happy to eat as of now. Her fins are sort of blah as well. They are not clamped but she doesn't really use them either. Even the pectorals. She just sort of.. Uses her tail to move and the other fins sort of hang there... She looks super skinny, and just seems... Dull. I've had fish act like this and then up and die within 24 hours but she's been like this for about a week. I've upped the water changes thinking maybe it was to high of nitrate but the water changes haven't helped her symptoms. I tried moving the filters all to one corner thinking maybe the current was to strong and was wearing her out. Also have tried salt but this hasn't helped either. All water readings on this tank are normal. The other fish seem ok, but I can see another one starting to act the same way. Plus this second fish DOES bottom rest. So I'm really at a loss here. I haven't treated this tank with any medications for almost 6 months.

I'm sorry that your fish aren't feeling well :( . Could you also answer the other questions from the box on top, so we can get a more accurate idea of the situation?

Hey Halloween. I saw your post yesterday.. Even though the tank has been established for so long and you say the params are normal, do you think you could copy & paste the box of questions like Erinaceous asked? Just so we can make sure the mods have ALL the info?? After that hang tight.. The mods have been away and/or busy lately, but hopefully someone will be on soon : ) I am sooo sorry they aren't doing well...

Guest Halloween

Dear CountryLovah, while I normally WOULD say I appreciate all the help (no matter how little I recieve) I've gotten, I haven't recieved any. I don't really believe the mods have been all to busy as this thread has recieved over 45 page views. I've answered all the required questions, and I'm NOT going to reword everything and put it in list form. I'm actually VERY angry right now, shaking actually, that all the wanted information must be in list form in order to get attention. It's taking a lot of self control right now not to freak out over the fact that the provided information isn't good enough. It SEEMS that reading a paragraph is to much work, so in response to that, I won't get any help. I DO appreciate the attention you've given this thread even though my 2 fish are almost dead.

My only real hope is that hopefully when someone totally new comes along and they type their problem out in paragraph form rather than list form, they'll recieve the help right away simply for being new, and not be left with nothing and their dead pets.

Thank you for your interest CountryLovah.

I'm sure you're distressed about your fish, all of us are when they aren't feeling well. You really haven't answered the questions asked about your tank fish to let people give you sound advice. Asking for your water quality readings, information about your care schedule, how much salt you tried for how long, etc. isn't intended to make you needlessly rewrite what you've already said, it's about giving enough information that people can give you good advice.

I'd keep up the water changes, those will not hurt and may help. If you can grab a sample of water, most pet stores will test for free (just insist they tell you the numbers, not some vague "okay" or "high")

Dear CountryLovah, while I normally WOULD say I appreciate all the help (no matter how little I recieve) I've gotten, I haven't recieved any. I don't really believe the mods have been all to busy as this thread has recieved over 45 page views. I've answered all the required questions, and I'm NOT going to reword everything and put it in list form. I'm actually VERY angry right now, shaking actually, that all the wanted information must be in list form in order to get attention. It's taking a lot of self control right now not to freak out over the fact that the provided information isn't good enough. It SEEMS that reading a paragraph is to much work, so in response to that, I won't get any help. I DO appreciate the attention you've given this thread even though my 2 fish are almost dead.

My only real hope is that hopefully when someone totally new comes along and they type their problem out in paragraph form rather than list form, they'll recieve the help right away simply for being new, and not be left with nothing and their dead pets.

Thank you for your interest CountryLovah.

I'm sorry you are (or were) feeling so angry.

When I first came here I actually wrote all of the information out in a paragraph form and was asked to complete the form. It's not so much because people WON'T help if it's not in the right format, it's just easier for the members/moderatores that are trying to help.. Right now one of the moderators that focuses on diseases and emergency,is gone for a month. Another is in the process of moving and has been without internet on and off.. Members like myself and others are trying to do the best we can to help. Unfortunately without all of the information, there is not much we can offer (or supposed to offer even).. When the moderators ARE on, they have soooo many threads to sort through. Erinaceous and myself are just trying to help get the information in a format that will save them time.

I see you have a few threads open right now. One of the major things lacking is water test results. Can you possibly get a test kit, or have your water tested? We really have to know those before we can recommend what needs to be done. Again, as you know, sometimes problems can be caused by lack of water changes.. Right now we don't know how often you have been changing your water..Or what you have been feeding your fish. All of these things can be part of the problem.

With information you've given so far, the only thing I am comfortable recommending is a large water change... The best thing for sick fish is often a large (if not 100%) water change, treated with dechlorinator and matched for temperature.. See if that helps..

I am sorry your fish are near death. I truly don't want to see them die... Good luck.