Is My Fish The Only One That Does This?

whitner

Lately Coco's been acting weird after he eats. I feed him Pro-Gold and peas, and after he eats he swims to the top and gulps at the surface for several mintes. It's not a gasping motion, more like he's trying to eat the surface. After a while he swims around like normal. I was wondering if anyone might understand why he does this. It doesn't seem to affect him. Yet. I hope it's nothing to worry about. I'm hoping it's just a personality trait. Does anyone else's fish do anything funny like this after they eat?

Here, I'll post this if it helps:

Ammonia Level? 0ppm

Nitrite Level? not sure

Nitrate level? 0 ppm

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.2

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature? 78 degrees F. It's HOT here in SC.

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon, running without setbacks for almost 3 months.

What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper internal 10-30 gal.

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 25%-50%

How many fish in the tank and their size? one oranda, about 6 in. long

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, sometimes aquarium salt (no salt lately, though)

What do you feed your fish and how often? Mostly Pro-Gold, once a day, sometimes peas

Any new fish added to the tank? no

Any medications added to the tank? no

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? gulping at the surface after eating

Lately Coco's been acting weird after he eats. I feed him Pro-Gold and peas, and after he eats he swims to the top and gulps at the surface for several mintes. It's not a gasping motion, more like he's trying to eat the surface. After a while he swims around like normal. I was wondering if anyone might understand why he does this. It doesn't seem to affect him. Yet. I hope it's nothing to worry about. I'm hoping it's just a personality trait. Does anyone else's fish do anything funny like this after they eat?

Here, I'll post this if it helps:

Ammonia Level? 0ppm

Nitrite Level? not sure

Nitrate level? 0 ppm

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.2

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature? 78 degrees F. It's HOT here in SC.

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon, running without setbacks for almost 3 months.

What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper internal 10-30 gal.

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 25%-50%

How many fish in the tank and their size? one oranda, about 6 in. long

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, sometimes aquarium salt (no salt lately, though)

What do you feed your fish and how often? Mostly Pro-Gold, once a day, sometimes peas

Any new fish added to the tank? no

Any medications added to the tank? no

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? gulping at the surface after eating

The 'eating water surface' behaviour is something one of our goldfish does as well. We've managed to decrease the frequency of that behaviour almost to zero by switching from flake food to pellets (they all used to be pond fish, and we had to get them un-used to food floating on the water surface). As far as I know, this behaviour is in itself not life-threatening or anything. The problem it can cause is that the goldfish swallows air, and if it already as a tendency towards SBD, this can cause it to manifest itself more rapidly.

A couple of question that might be important for more experienced members to give some advice: How much to you feed your goldfish exactly (how many times per day, and what quantity per feeding)? Have you noticed anything with regard to the poo your goldfish produced (colour, composition, does it sing or float)?

As a side note, I am curious about your ammonia/nitrate readings. Normally, in a cycled tank occupied by goldfish, you'd expect zero ammonia but at least a minimal amount of nitrate, even with the amount of water changes you do (which is as should be, so well done :) ). Is it possible that you rounded the nitrate reading downward when you judged the drop test colour? You note that you're not sure about the nitrites. Is this because the test kit doesn't contain a nitrite test or because the readings are a bit unclear? If it's the first, I'd suggest also getting a nitrite test, because you could otherwise not notice it in time if you even had a 'bump' in your cycle.

I know I can't offer anything definite of advice, but there are more experienced members who will have a much better idea about what this can be and what can be done about it :) .

Oh, and I almost forget, :welcome Whitney :D .

Edited by Erinaceus

Have you noticed anything with regard to the poo your goldfish produced (colour, composition, does it sing or float)?

Funny typo :rofl

Back on topic: does your goldfish start to gulp air after eating peas aswell or only after the progold?

Does he sometimes do it when he didn't had food?

Has your fish ever been treated for flukes?

Is their enough aeration in the tank (filter splash, bubbler?), with hot weather the amount of oxygen in the water is decreased, so it is possible that when he is digesting he 'needs' more oxygen and their just ins't enough in the water.

These are just extra Questions to find out what might be bothering him. ;)

Edited by Quasi

I have some questions that don't have to do with your fish's eating habits. I actually have some concerns about your water quality.

You said your oranda measures 6". Is that with or without the tail? Either way, that's a pretty big fish, and depending upon how much you feed him (see Quasi's questions above), there could be a pretty heavy bioload in your tank.

It's vital that we know what your nitrite level is. As Quasi mentioned, in a tank that's been running for 3 months, we would expect to see nitrate if your tank is cycled. You should double-check to make sure you are performing the nitrate test correctly, as it is the trickiest one to get correct. You really do have to shake the second solution for 30 secs and the test tube for 1 min if you want accurate results. If your tank is NOT cycled, than it's entirely possible that Coco is suffering from poor water quality.

Get back to us soon!!

My oranda also checks the surface after feeding for bits of food. Between the active filters that keep the food moving and the fact that I have plants that spread across the surface, food gets caught on these plants and he's looking to get every last scrap. He doesn't seem affected by it though. But, yes, there can be other concerns. With hot water, it could be reduced oxygen in your tank. For such a large fish, it's going to need extra oxygen too. I also agree about the water readings. With such a large fish in a 10 gallon, you should have some sort of reading on at least one of the three tests. For this size goldfish, it's probably time to start thinking about upgrading to at least a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon. In addition to Quasi's questions, what, if anything, are you doing to raise your ph from the tap to the tank?

Edited by Lynda Von G

I thank you all for your help.

My fault, I meant that I wasn't sure about the nitRATES, and that there is 0 nitRITES. I'm sure there are nitrates in the water, I just haven't invested in a kit. I know, shame on me. Money is a bit tight right now. THe place I worked went out of business, so instead of working 2 jobs like I did before, I'm down to one.

I never considered the heat as being the cause for his strange behavior. Now that I think about it , he started to act that way when it began to hit 100 degrees outside. Is there anyway to keep the temp down in his tank?

He does gulp after he eats peas, but not like he does after he eats the pellets. And sometimes, not often, I'll catch him doing it when he's not eating. But very rarely does his do it. That's what led me to think it may have something to do with the Pro-Gold. But I don't know, that heat theory seems to fit...

A little more detail about the tank: Yes, it's a ten gallon. I would LOVE nothing more than to get him a roomier tank, but my parents (particularly my mother) won't let me, yet. I still live at home so I still have to abide by their rules. Pish. I have explained to them several times that I need a bigger tank, but you know how parents can be. I'm saving up for a bigger one, anyway, not matter what they say.

There is also a bubble wall, a couple of fake plants, and a rock.

As for his poop, I haven't seen much, so I'm thinking he may be constipated? What poop I do see has air bubbles in it but that's from him gulping at the surface, right? :unsure:

I use API's PH Up to raise the ph. We have well water and it's EXTREMELY soft.

Yes, he's been treated for flukes.

I think I've answered all the questions, but let me know if I missed one.

Again, thank you, guys!

Have you noticed anything with regard to the poo your goldfish produced (colour, composition, does it sing or float)?

:rofl:lol1 I saw that, too Quasi. I am mentally picturing fish poo going lalalalalalaaaaaaaaa!! :D

So very sorry, but that was too funny of a typo to pass up! We're laughing WITH you though not AT you, LOL!

Welcome to Koko's Whitner!

Edited by vickielm

As for his poop, I haven't seen much, so I'm thinking he may be constipated? What poop I do see has air bubbles in it but that's from him gulping at the surface, right? :unsure:

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think this may be a sign of bacterial infection or stress. I know this is gross, but... when you do see your fish's poop, what color is it? Is it short? Or long and stringy? (Does it sing? Just kidding!) If your fish appears constipated you may want to give him a big meal of peas or spinach. That will get things moving, so to speak. And, honestly, who can miss ATOMIC green pieces of poo in the water...

I use API's PH Up to raise the ph. We have well water and it's EXTREMELY soft.

Hmmm, I from what I understand, the only things that work well for raising and maintaining PH is Goldfish Connection's Buff It Up or crushed coral. From what I gather, other products are not as reliable and can often mess up your PH and cause it to fluctuate.

Edited by Desiree

:rofl:lol1 I saw that, too Quasi. I am mentally picturing fish poo going lalalalalalaaaaaaaaa!! :D

So very sorry, but that was too funny of a typo to pass up! We're laughing WITH you though not AT you, LOL!

Yeah, no offence taken, it made me chuckle too when Miki pointed it out to me :D .

If you can look at his gills. Make sure there nice and pink inside...dont want them pale looking or any white inside :o

I don't know how to copy your comments but I will try to learn BUT I wanted to ask a question about KOKO's comment above. Is this for ALL fish? I am asking because of a female black mollie or mollly which ever is correct.

Welcome to Koko's Whitner!

It's Mr. Hanky The Christmas Poo! :tomuch::rofl3

Okay, I'm sorry! Now to be serious....

With regard to lowering your water temperature, the easiest thing would be to find a clip on fan. Those, however, aren't the easiest to find. So, the next best thing would be to rig up a regular little desktop fan so that it blows onto the top of your water. Yes, you'll need to remove all or at least part of your cover, which could be a problem if you have jumpers or cats. But, this will significantly lower your water temp.

Lowering your water temp and seeing whether this behavior continues is one way of ruling things out.

Edited by Lynda Von G

• Admin
If you can look at his gills. Make sure there nice and pink inside...dont want them pale looking or any white inside :o

I don't know how to copy your comments but I will try to learn BUT I wanted to ask a question about KOKO's comment above. Is this for ALL fish? I am asking because of a female black mollie or mollly which ever is correct.

As for a quote hun, just hit the quote button at the end of a persons post:D

Yes all fish should have pick gills hun, never pale. But it might be very hard to look at mollies or even there guppy friends :(

I did a test yesterday. I managed to lower the temp. of the water from 78 to 73. My method of doing so was probably not very safe (i used a frozen bottle of water) and the temp. went down within 30 minutes. Then I fed him to see if he would do the gulping. He did, but not as much as before. Then I fed him peas, and he didn't do it at all. So I'm thinking it's the Pro-Gold, but who knows?

*UPDATE*

Since feeding Coco his peas I hadn't noticed him pooping. But today when I changed the water in his tank there was so lots of poo and I got excited! LOL. It means his bodily functions are working again! But I don't just give credit to the peas, I'd also added epsom salt to his water, hoping it would help. Looks like it did!

He still gulps though, but not too much like before.

Oh, there are definately nitrates. That was a typo, I meant 0 nitrItes. The nitrAte level is 10 ppm. I can't tell how his gills look, really. I try to catch him to get a proper look, but he doesn't like that so much.

• 1 month later...

Ohh good : ) I was actually just now reading this thread for the first time, and I saw that you wrote back recently, and I kept thinking there was a good chance that it ended up being the temp because the weather was starting to change.. lol Glad things are back to normal : )