Bamboo...

is there a difference between the bamboo you buy from a tank at a lfs and the bamboo you can buy in (usually) chinese looking pots that are dry? because the dry bamboo only needs water and sunlight to survive. and i was wondering if it was okay to put these into my fish tank, and if i did, would they need special plant food like the other aquatic plants.. or would it be fine in there without any food since water and sunshine will always be there?

this has been confusing me for awhile.. :unsure:

Guest Danicole

The lucky bamboo? It isn't aquatic. Even though they sell it in the plant section(like a lot of other things like mondo grass!) it will eventually rot underwater. It can't grow that way :(

The bamboo you usually find in stores is called lucky bamboo and like others have said, it is not aquatic and it will rot underwater.

I just wanted to share that my boyf planted his lucky bamboo in a Whisper internal power filter. He filled the filter with gravel and planted it in the top. Now he doesn't have to water it, it doesn't rot, but it still helps decorate his fishtank!

Here's a pic:

P1030472cropped.jpg

The bamboo you usually find in stores is called lucky bamboo and like others have said, it is not aquatic and it will rot underwater.

I just wanted to share that my boyf planted his lucky bamboo in a Whisper internal power filter. He filled the filter with gravel and planted it in the top. Now he doesn't have to water it, it doesn't rot, but it still helps decorate his fishtank!

Here's a pic:

P1030472cropped.jpg

Now this is a cute idea! But, no, live bamboo is not an aquatic plant. It can live in a boggy environment, but not completely underwater. The chain stores that sell live bamboo as underwater plants is yet another sign that they have no clue as to what they are doing. You can get fake bamboo, however, that looks really good.

so basically there is no aquatic bamboo?!?!

i feel deceived....yet another reason not to trust people at the LFS!

all lies! :krazy:

...anyway...so that filter idea looks cool too..

and the fake bamboo is nice as well, but it looks like it could be a possible danger to my moor's eyes.

aw darn, i was kind of excited to put bamboo in my tank!

edit: lynda, are the leaves/roots pointy enough to damage a telescopes eyes?

Edited by justkeepswimming

so basically there is no aquatic bamboo?!?!

i feel deceived....yet another reason not to trust people at the LFS!

all lies! :krazy:

...anyway...so that filter idea looks cool too..

and the fake bamboo is nice as well, but it looks like it could be a possible danger to my moor's eyes.

aw darn, i was kind of excited to put bamboo in my tank!

edit: lynda, are the leaves/roots pointy enough to damage a telescopes eyes?

Aquatic bamboo, no. Liars, yes.

The fake bamboo leaves are silk, so they shouldn't pose a problem. The roots are very soft and rubbery. I'd say the sharpest thing on these, and even that, it's not sharp, would be the top of the stalk.

• 4 months later...
Guest pearlywhirly31

Hmmmm. I never knew that bamboo isn't aquatic. I bought one at Pets mart when I first got my tank a couple months ago and it's been perfectly fine. Hasn't rotted or anything. I wonder why. Maybe my water's different or something. That's strange... :unsure: Maybe it'll start to rot soon, hope not. I love it. :heart It's so pretty! ;)

Nice place to grow bamboo! I had to do a double take, I htought it was just sitting on the tank lid or behind the tank itself....Then on closer inspection I was like....wait....its in the FILTER! how cool! One questiong....is the tank by a window? Other wise how does the bamboo get sun?