New Tank Leaking

::pacing and fuming and sooooo mad::

I am about ready to take a sledge hammer to this tank, and mail it back to sWalmart and tell them where they can put it!!! They won't take it back and I was informed that I have to mail the whole thing back (all of it) so they can fix it and send it back to me. They have GOT to be KIDDING! I have to pay for shipping there and back, and frankly I figure that the way my luck is going, It will have even more leaks by the time it gets back.

Currently the leak it at the very top. I found it when I took the tank outside to rinse all the vinager off. BTW, That worked beautifully. Less than 5 minutes in a 1cup V to 1-1/2 gal water and all was squeeky clean. But now, it leaks around the top rim piece. I JUST WANT TO SCREAM!!!! ::stomping feet and throwing a tantrum::

I have sealent, but I have never used it. The sealent on the tank around the upper rim is sparce in some areas and globs in other areas, and in a few places non existant (where it is leaking especially).

Do I have to remove all the old sealent first?

How do I apply the sealent correctly?

How long before I can begin the fishless cycle again?

Will sealent fix this prob permanently or is it just a temp fix?

Do you think I'd get caught if I was to burn wally world's home office down? (just j/king.... I think) ;)

I feel like I am literally at my wits end where this tank is concerned. I have just about had it. Please help me.

I have never sealed a tank before ...but I can't belive they would leave you high and dry like that !!! what &%#$#$!!!!..is it the store or head office itself ?? have you tried another wal~mart????..

The tank came with an 800 number to call if there were any probs. The only way I could return it was if I hadn't opened it.

::right now I am so angry and frustrated I am crying, so please bear with me if I seem ill tempered. It's not directed at any of you, just my circumstances.::

here is a link on how to reseal it will give you an idea..as for thinking that you are being ill tempered you are not at all :hug

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

as for removing all sealant I don't know if you need to ...maybe just in the area ..someone will know hang tight Roni :k055:

Edited by hi-d

Hi Roni,

How frustrating. I don't know if you are interested in this or not, but because you have a 29 and a 12 gallon this might just work out for you. The guy that is looking for a home for his common, a Ryukin and a chicilid is offering them with a 29 gallon tank for free. I was going to do it (that is way overstocked as you know) and I'm sure a LFS would buy back a couple of those fish. But you could set up the tank for Elvis and then try to repair the new twenty-nine for the other common and keep the Ryukin in the twelve and sell back the Chicilid (I think I'm spelling that wrong) and suddenly you would have a little more time to repair your tank and have three goldie tanks. I don't know if this is making sense, but I know that money is tight and you have been trying so hard to get Elvis a new home. I have his email and contact info...the only downside is that he is in Lake Forest in the O.C.

Otherwise, sealant should work but make sure you let it cure for at least a week.

Amy

here is a link on how to reseal it will give you an idea..as for thinking that you are being ill tempered you are not at all :hug

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107

as for removing all sealant I don't know if you need to ...maybe just in the area ..someone will know hang tight Roni :k055:

Thanx for the link Hi-D, it helped. After reading that I talked with a gentleman that ( I guess) tried to help me. He understood my frustration and told me I didn't have to do anything if I didn't want to. The prob was when they sealed it at the manufacturer, they placed the sealent on the rim and unfortunately when they put the top rim on, there must have been an air bubble right there. He said since it's at the very top of the aquarium, as long as I keep it an inch or so below the bottom of the rim, I should have no prob with it leaking. Is he right?

There is also evidence of an air pocket at the bottom corner same side. It's sealed for now, but should I be worried about that area too?

I would plead with them to take it back. It's not a good sign for a leak at the top. I am not sure if it will leak more. I am sorry you are going through this, but this isn't right. Maybe contacting the better business bureau would help you get your money back.

He said since it's at the very top of the aquarium, as long as I keep it an inch or so below the bottom of the rim, I should have no prob with it leaking. Is he right?

There is also evidence of an air pocket at the bottom corner same side. It's sealed for now, but should I be worried about that area too?

I would be worried...the problem is that when the tank will be filled with water..there will be a constant pressure on the tank..needless to say that part will always be fragile..you will also have filters and stuff on the top..god forbid..if the tension on that part keeps growing..it might develop into a crack..I may be wrong...but this is what is worrying me right now..its just me...I am sooo sorry Roni...all this is happening...but try and talk to Wal*Mart ppl...tell them you would like a store credit and not money back or any replacement..that way they still have your business and even you are not at loss..trust me it worked in my case..I had to return a pathetic bicycle after 3 months of rare use and constant repairs and without a receipt...and I asked for a store credit only...the manager was a bit angry but agreed readily..it can really work..try it...am sure you will be able to spend that much money in the coming few months at Wally...take care Hun..everything will be fine.. :hug

Roni, I have worked at wallyworld for years. Their return policy (here, anyway) is so loose as to be laughable. I have seen customers return shoes they have worn for months, food they have eaten half and more of and I could go on and on. They may not return your money if it is opened and you have no receipt, but they will give you a gift card with the amount on it. If the store refuses to help you, call their home office in Bentonville, Arkansas. Believe me, I have had to refund full prices on cakes that customers got home and ATE, then called back and complained that the colors weren't correct. Its ridiculous that they have refused to refund your money on a defective aquarium. You should call and talk to the store manager and THROW A FIT. Threaten them to call the home office and I promise they will help you. If they don't...make good on your threat and call. They cannot refuse to give you the number, but if you need it, pm me and I will get it for you. This is crazy, and it really makes me angry.

Ok,

I need some more advice. I talked with the Wal(not)smart people (the store, not all the people) and they didn't have another tank at the store where I got this one. I called around and found a store that did 20 minutes away. I took the old tank back and they gave me the new one. I even had her open both of the ones she had there so I could see the rim. One of them, the bottom seal was really bad, so I rejected it, the second, tho the sealent around the bottom and sides was really good, the top rim was as bad as the first. AT first I wasn't willing to take either, but I decided to take the second one and I would run the sealant around the top and be done with it, so I took the new one and went home.

This morning I pulled it from the box and if it wasn't for the prozac, probably would've had a really good cry. Here are pics of some of the prob areas. The glass on both sides and on the bottom is not square. The sealent is outside the glass as well as inside and there is a couple of areas where the glass doen't even meet together, it's just sealent keeping it closed. Is this going to be a prob?

Right side 100_3245.jpg

Left100_3242.jpg

Bottom2.jpg

100_3250.jpg

I know this last one isn't that good, but you can see what I am dealing with. I am tired of the fighting with the store because it's not their fault completely. It's the company that makes this aquarium, it's Aqua Cultures fault. Plan and simple. Do I trust this tank or do I take it back and go to Petsgo and get a 32 gal Eclipse and fight with JC about it?

Let me know asap please.

As a general rule, I don't buy anything from Wallyworld because I honestly do not trust the quality of the products they carry. I am very wary of these problems you've been having... Roni, if you even have a shred of a doubt, take it back! Don't risk your fish, your flooring, or your sanity!

I'm no fan of Eclipse systems, either, because everything is built in, so there's no room for upgrades, etc. Have you looked into used tanks? Or considered spending a little more and going for an All-Glass Aquarium brand? I find AGA tanks to be built pretty well.

I will send the Tank Fairy your way ASAP. :P

OMG!! I would totally freakout !!!!!...I would call the company that makes the tank plus scold Wal~mart for their very poor Quality crap!!!!!!!!!...Roni I'm so sorry this is happening to you ,it must be so frusturating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...have you tried other places ..sometimes petstores have them on sale ..I would even look for a used one ..I cannot belive the crap that Wal`mart is pushing !!

OMG!! I would totally freakout !!!!!...I would call the company that makes the tank plus scold Wal~mart for their very poor Quality crap!!!!!!!!!...Roni I'm so sorry this is happening to you ,it must be so frusturating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...have you tried other places ..sometimes petstores have them on sale ..I would even look for a used one ..I cannot belive the crap that Wal`mart is pushing !!

So, both you and Joy say No! Okay, good enough for me. Since I don't have the receipt it will have to be store credit which does me absolutely no good for getting another tank. :( Now I think I will cry.

Elvis is just going to have to be happy in his little 12g with 2x week wc. I can't afford to spend any more money. Thanx girls. Luv ya.

You'd be surprised at what you can get by being pushy. Tell them what crap their stock is, and demand your money back in full. You said you put the salesgirl through her paces and made her open up a few of them before selecting it? Tell them that, see if you can find the girl-- she'll remember you.

Roni in the end it is your choice ..if you feel that you can fix it up or work with it maybe keep it ..it is just not right for a store to sell this garbage ..and expect you to deal with it ..you spent money on this and it should just come right out of the box without issues ..is that not what wal~mart wants to sell ?? not only does it pose damage if it leaks ..but it is connected to filters and pumps that is ran by electicity it poses a DANGER risk ..I know that is extreme ..but it is possible !! would wal`mart want to pose a fire hazard with their product that they supposedly stand behind ??

Roni, as discouraging as it is, I would take it back . Those gaps would worry the crap out of me. They really should refund as this is just not right at all. I'd make a real fuss at the return desk and make sure any nearby customers heard me so they know how shabby their customer service is. Who knows,they might just give you the refund to hush you up. It's worked for me before,lol.

(just don't get arrested,rofl)

Don't mess with the customer service clerks. Either go to the store and ask for a member of management, or call the store and ask for the STORE manager. Stand your ground and tell the member of management or the store manager that you WILL call home office. Nothing gets their attention more as Home Office DOES take customer complaints seriously and it looks bad on the store itself.

This is ridiculous. You may not get another tank there, although why would you WANT to, but I wouldn't let them keep your money.

Roni,

I feel so guilty that I waived the offer of that 29 gallon under your nose briefly and then kept it, but I promise, promise, promise I have my eye out for Elvis and I will try to send the tank fairy your way.

I agree that you should raise bloody22 with the store manager. You should push for your money back. You need a new tank for Elvis and because they have essentially "stolen" your money you can't get it. It is time for a fight. If you can get cash then you can go and get Elvis a new and better made tank.

The used ten gallon I got from a friend looks pretty patchy like the Wallyworld one you have. I can say that it has help up and has never leaked even though the sealant has peeled in places, but I didn't pay for it.

BTW, Aquarium City has a used 55 gallon with a really nice wooden stand for $60. See if you can get your money back and you could get Elvis a huge home!

Amy

Roni,

I feel so guilty that I waived the offer of that 29 gallon under your nose briefly and then kept it, but I promise, promise, promise I have my eye out for Elvis and I will try to send the tank fairy your way.

I agree that you should raise bloody22 with the store manager. You should push for your money back. You need a new tank for Elvis and because they have essentially "stolen" your money you can't get it. It is time for a fight. If you can get cash then you can go and get Elvis a new and better made tank.

The used ten gallon I got from a friend looks pretty patchy like the Wallyworld one you have. I can say that it has help up and has never leaked even though the sealant has peeled in places, but I didn't pay for it.

BTW, Aquarium City has a used 55 gallon with a really nice wooden stand for $60. See if you can get your money back and you could get Elvis a huge home!

Amy

That's okay, see http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=71916 for the whole story. Elvis and I are good now, and my tears are for happiness and joy instead of disappointment and frustration. Love and kisses to all!!!!!