Can A Filter Harm A Fish?

Howdy.

I purchased a stringray 5 gallon filter to replace the "tea bag" sachet filters I have been using. My tank is only 2.5 gallons with the one goldfish in it. The filter is working away and creating ripples too (Adding oxygen?), So i have stopped the air pump which has been making bubbles.

Now it appears my goldy is either staying at the top of the tank or/and (maybe its my imagination) is trying to fight off being pulled into the filter, does the filter have the strength to overpower the goldfishes ability to swim and in turn stress/tire out the fish?

I am so sorry but your filter is the least of your worries. You need at least 10 gallons for your goldfish. If you can't by a tank they go get a rubber maid to put him in until then.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I completely agree.. You have to be kidding me? Goldfish can get 10 inches, they need a minimum of ten gallons each. PLEASE get a new much bigger tank.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 21 gallon tank.

The filter and water purity is my concern for the time being, as he'll be in it for a bit longer as he is ill with white spots.