Least Stressing Way To Goldy When Changing Water

Hi,

What is the least stressing way to change 75% of water, I have a tiny 2.5 gallon tank (Awaiting a 20 gallon tank in delivery). I am concerned as I am having to frequently change the water and need to move my goldy out of the tank into something else, I am concerned about the change in temperature and netting him as well as this may make my poorly goldy far worse.

I aint sure, anyone got any tips and advice?

Since it is such a small tank, you could try changing 50% of the water, then change 50% again. That would give you the same as doing 75% all at once. But you could leave your fish in the tank to reduce stress, and it would have enough room to swim in on each change.

First thing, welcome to Kokos!

I was where you are now....you keep hearing all these people say the same thing..you are not alone.

When I started I had an overstocked tank that was not cycled. 2 daily water changes.

Personally I would agree with comet. you could do a 50% change then a 50% change.

My fish...well they love it when I change the water and I can't get them away from the stream of new water. Everyone says changing water stresses them out. I guess my fishies are just not normal.

Changing the water is the most important thing when you have too much ammonia! I think it would be more stressful for the fish by you having to catch him in a cup (no nets) and transferring to another container than just syphoning the water.

I am not a moderator, still too new at this. You can also search the site/discussion and find other threads. But if you haven't changed the water yet....get it done! That is the most important thing.

Good luck. You can do it. I hope your fishie is OK!

I was just checking out your other post, and it looks like you are already getting lots of great help from Vickie and Sue. I lost a couple of fish too before I found the great people here on Koko's.

Syphoning can stir up things under your gravel, but that is the very stuff you want to get out of there. The tank is probably getting cloudy from that. Keep on with the water changes, as they are really the only thing that will clean up the water for you in such a small tank.

Good luck and welcome to Koko's!

Just thought I'd tell you what I do to make waterchanges less stressful on the fish. I get a bucket and fill it with water from the tank...Just dip the bucket into the tank to get the water out. This is a bucket that has been used for the fish and the fish only, it cannot be used for anything else. I also have seperate buckets for the two tanks. Anyway, fill up the 5 gallon bucket with their water. I have a 1 litre cup that I use to scoop the fish into, then merge the cup with the bucket water...Don't like just dumping them. Athena will willingly enter the cup...Echo I have to use my hand to 'guide'. I really don't like touching them because I do think that can be very stressful. Anyway, when those two are in their bucket I throw in an airstone and move the bucket away from the tank.

Syphon/vaccuum the gravel. Then fill the tank back up with water from the hose, it's normally only a degree or two off the tank water if I run the hose for a bit. In Texas we have a problem with our water being way too hot when you first turn on the hose. =/

I add water conditioner, wait a few minutes, scoop the goldies back out and merge the cup with the tank water. Something I did not do for a long time was filter maintance, and when I get back home, that's the first chore that needs to be done because it really hasn't been in almost two months now. :wall

Make sure you use separate buckets/cups for the tanks...Or you can use potassium permanganate. Man I love that stuff! Only a tiny bit goes a long way. [:

Trinket was the one who advised me to stop using a net. It can damage their fins and I would imagine remove slime coat or stress them a lot when they are flopping around in the net out of the water. This way, the fish never has to leave the water! [:

My fish...well they love it when I change the water and I can't get them away from the stream of new water. Everyone says changing water stresses them out. I guess my fishies are just not normal.

My fish love the water changes too! I can't get them away from the stream of water! They love playing in it! I never remove my fish. I just let them remain. I feel that this is the least stressful of all. Of course, my smallest tank is 10 gallons and there's room for fish, hands and siphon. If, in your small 2.5, you don't have room to leave your fish and clean at the same time, I would suggest as the others have, to put some existing old water in a bucket, scoop your fish out in a cup with some water and immerse the fish in the cup of water in the bucket of water.

If your water is getting cloudy at changes, that suggests that you haven't removed as much gunk as you need to. Are you siphoning/vacuuming your gravel? Quite frankly, it probably would be best to just remove the gravel altogether. Are you rinsing your filter in the old water?

Make sure you use separate buckets/cups for the tanks...Or you can use potassium permanganate. Man I love that stuff! Only a tiny bit goes a long way. [:

Just a warning on PP. I think this was suggested as part of the bucket, cup and siphon cleaning maintenance, not as something that should be put in the tank.

Thanks for clarifying Lynda, if that advice had been taken wrong it would've been devastating to a fish...and owner. :(

PP is for sterilizing the buckets and cups so you do not transmit disease and parasite from one tank to another. You should thoroughly rinse the bucket out with water that has been dechlorinated before adding fish. I usually do the PP soak, rinse it well, fill it back up with water, very heavily dechlorinate that water...Overdose the dechlorinator by about 10, because I'm extra paranoid, and dechlorinator really doesn't cost me too much...Then let that soak, dump it, dry it, and it's ready for use on a separate fish tank.

The whole process normally takes me 45 minutes, but I'll be busy doing tank maintanence while the buckets soak.

PP is great for many things, really. You might want to use it for incoming plants, as it is less harsh than bleach. I do think people use it on tanks, but not tanks with fish in them. I don't know the actual process, but it's for sterilization. When I sterilized my tank it might've been better to use PP instead of bleach. I really hate the smell of bleach. PPs odorless. But it does stain skin and clothing very very very easily. My hands are all brown by the time I'm done.