Southern California Folks

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has ever been to this place. I was just browsing on the web and noticed it. It is out by LAX and looks amazing. They have a 6000 gallon shark tank. It looks like they specialize in saltwater, but they have freshwater stuff as well.

It's the Aquatic Outlet in Inglewood.

http://www.aquaticoutlet.com/companyInfo.html

Amy

P.S. Lynda, have you ever been here? I didn't see it on the list you gave me.

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has ever been to this place. I was just browsing on the web and noticed it. It is out by LAX and looks amazing. They have a 6000 gallon shark tank. It looks like they specialize in saltwater, but they have freshwater stuff as well.

It's the Aquatic Outlet in Inglewood.

http://www.aquaticoutlet.com/companyInfo.html

Amy

P.S. Lynda, have you ever been here? I didn't see it on the list you gave me.

No, I haven't been there. Maybe because it appears that they specialize in saltwater. I think I've looked at the website before though. It does look like a really nice place! Are you getting ready to get fishies?

Nope, not I. Supposedly there is a huge aquarium wherehouse in Ontario too. They say they have something like 750 show tanks, and that they are the largest in the US or something like that. I'll see if I can find it and post back here with the info if you want it.

It does look like they are more saltwater oriented, but it does say online that they offer freshwater as well. It might be a good place for aqaurium supplies as well. I'll give everyone a full review once I check it out.

Hey, Lynda. I am getting ready soon for a fish. I just rearranged our apartment so that meant doing a 75% water change on the ten gallon to move it. So far, no nitrates. So I guess, I am being hopefull when I say soon. I am looking now for a thirty or ideally a forty gallon. I am going to prespend my Christmas money. But I want the ten gallon cycled so I can seed the tank from it.

I did have the guy who is giving away the 29 gallon with the three fish I mentioned email me today and offer to let me pick it up tonight, but I kind of feel like I should really wait to get the size tank I want. I am a bit torn though. Free (and helping to get these fish in a better home) is pretty enticing.

I want to have three goldies. Do you think a forty gallon is what I should shoot for?

It does look like they are more saltwater oriented, but it does say online that they offer freshwater as well. It might be a good place for aqaurium supplies as well. I'll give everyone a full review once I check it out.

Hey, Lynda. I am getting ready soon for a fish. I just rearranged our apartment so that meant doing a 75% water change on the ten gallon to move it. So far, no nitrates. So I guess, I am being hopefull when I say soon. I am looking now for a thirty or ideally a forty gallon. I am going to prespend my Christmas money. But I want the ten gallon cycled so I can seed the tank from it.

I did have the guy who is giving away the 29 gallon with the three fish I mentioned email me today and offer to let me pick it up tonight, but I kind of feel like I should really wait to get the size tank I want. I am a bit torn though. Free (and helping to get these fish in a better home) is pretty enticing.

I want to have three goldies. Do you think a forty gallon is what I should shoot for?

Hey Amy,

If you don't want the tank, I'll take it. My new one leaks and it's going to be a while before I can get it set up, so if you don't want it and are willing to pick it up for me, I'll have my hubby drive me out to get it from you. (fish too) Unless he is closer to me, then I'll go and get it myself and save you the trip.

If you want 3 fancies, a forty is perfect. If you want three commons, you need at least a 60. 20 gal per common, 10 gal per fancy. That's what they say around here. :)

The 29 gallon with the three fish were a mix of cold and tropical right? With a big cichlid or something? Were there any fish you really want to keep? It's free? Yeah a 40 gallon would be an ultimate, end of the line, planning for the future tank for 3 goldies, but a 30 gallon is going to be a very nice home for 3 goldies for quite a while; until they start reaching the very large sizes; i.e., 5-6 inches, which is going to be several years. And free, you've not lost anything with taking it. So, you need the 40 gallon ultimately. You didn't spend a penny on the 30, soooo..... no monetary loss. I don't think I knew it was free before. Did I? Anyway, IMO, the only losing situation with this tank is the trouble you're going to have to go through to place the fish you don't want, but a free 30 gallon is a pretty good deal if you think you can place the fish.....

If you decide to take the tank and fish, see if you can get buckets to save as much of the existing water as possible and to store the filter, decorations, etc., during transport.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Hey Roni and Lynda,

I'm headed over to pick it up tonight. I will let you know how things go. Roni, we are leaning towards keeping it now that we know our goldfish wouldn't grow out of it immeditely. But if we don't you have first dibs.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Amy

P.S. Looks like I might need that driftwood from you sooner than I thought, Lynda. :rolleyes:

Hey Roni and Lynda,

I'm headed over to pick it up tonight. I will let you know how things go. Roni, we are leaning towards keeping it now that we know our goldfish wouldn't grow out of it immeditely. But if we don't you have first dibs.

Amy

P.S. Looks like I might need that driftwood from you sooner than I thought, Lynda. :rolleyes:

Ok, that's fine. But just so you know, I can trade for it if you want. I get the tank and fish and you get these.

100_3239.jpg

Just rescued from under the bathtub in the house we are buying. Momma went out the window. I had to get them out because the house is to be tented for termites in 2 days. Two of them are natural bobtails. No tails at all. These guys are still just weebles, but these do fall down.

Hey Roni and Lynda,

Amy

You bet! Any time you want it! I could bring it down too! Would give me a chance to see your nice loft and your tank! And kitty and doggie! :D

Oh, and I was bored and so decided to take a day trip down to that place in Inglewood. Not worth your time I don't think. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's very nice and the goldfish that they did have were very healthy looking. It's just that they were pretty "standard." Looked to me like not well bred ryukins. Very healthy, but just not the highest back. Of course, a fish like this would probably be a very good starter fish. Anyway this place was like 95% saltwater, 4% tropicals and 1% goldfish. Two tanks of goldfish is all they had. And the 6,000 gallon shark tank only had one small shark. There was a better shark tank out at the nice lfs in Palm Desert.

Seems to me that I read somewhere a while ago that there are a couple of mom & pop lfs east of downtown that were supposed to be nice, but I can't remember which. I'll let you know if I remember.

Aquarium City said they were getting in a shipment in a couple of days. Oh! And they still have Bio-Spira! I was surprised! And the guy said that they're not having any problem in still getting it..... :hummm hmm....

Ok, that's fine. But just so you know, I can trade for it if you want. I get the tank and fish and you get these.

100_3239.jpg

Just rescued from under the bathtub in the house we are buying. Momma went out the window. I had to get them out because the house is to be tented for termites in 2 days. Two of them are natural bobtails. No tails at all. These guys are still just weebles, but these do fall down.

oh my! that cutie in the middle with the half orange half black face has such unique marks and is SO ADORABLE!

too bad im allergic :cry

Amy, here's some more fish stores more over by you. I don't know anything about them; I've never been there, but it seems to me I read a review of Fumi's once, said it was pretty good....

Tong's Tropical Fish Pet and Supplies

4327 S. Vermont Ave

Los Angeles, CA 90039

Fish on the Wall

2334 Fletcher Drive

Los Angeles, CA 90039

Fumi's Tropical & Pets

4158 W. Pico Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90019

100_3239.jpg

O my such cuties :wub:

Ami,

Just wanted to make sure you knew I was j/king about the kittens. I wouldn't stick you with them. I work with a no kill shelter and they have been picked up and will have good homes. :)

Hope the tank works out well for you!!!

Hey Roni, Lynda and all,

Don't worry, Roni...I totally new you were joking. Last summer we rescued four adorable and teeny baby kittens from my garden (her mother was killed). They were extremely hard to catch and the last one gave me a big bloody fight...but they got great homes and were totally spoiled and tamed by the end. I am so glad that you are doing a great thing for those little guys. What shelter do you work at? My husband and I have a pet portrait business and once in a while try to donate a percentage of our profits (whenever we have them) to great shelters.

We did decide to keep the tank. We ended up paying $60 for the stand, but everything else was free. But it was totally gross and is way overstocked and a very long drive. I started a new thread on it with pictures. But I am always on CL and if I see another option for Elvis I will post it here or if it is close pick it up for you. You'd be surprised at how often there are freebies.

And Lynda, I would love, love, love for you to come over. Are you free Sunday? I'll be home around 12:30 and then I have to pick my husband up a bit later in the afternoon. I would love your advice on this new setup (I started a new thread). Oh and I am so glad you checked out that store. I think I am going to take the Zebra Cichlid to Aquarium City and maybe I'll pick up some Biospire for the new tank.

Thanks!

Amy

I was just ignoring those kitties. It's just plain mean that I'm not allowed to have pets.... furry pets anyway. Heck! Who knows, I'm probably not allowed to have fish either! Anyway, I came just about as close an evil person can get to buying another goldy yesterday at Aquarium City! MAAAAANNNN!!!!!! There was this cutest red and white lionhead.... but, I finally talked myself out of it saying, "I already have a lionhead, if I'm gonna break my rule of no more fish, I'm gonna get something I don't have." Now if they'd had a really nice ranchu............................. :devilangel

btw, Amy.......... how's the new tank and inhabitants? I was thinking last night, cichlids are kind of "guy fish." Is your mister gonna get attached to your new foster child?

Edited by Lynda Von G

Aqaurium City is the next store on my list to go to. That is where I might take the Cichilid. I kind of think they hate me at Oranda even though I keep going. I'm always asking them questions then ignoring their advice. I don't know why I keep asking...I guess it just intrigues me that their answers are so different from all I have learned.

The fish were totally freaked on the ride home and are doing okay. The only one really showing signs of stress from the miserable water is the fantail. They had lived for all these years in an empty tank with nothing in there, so I put in my airstone last night to give them more oxygen and they were fascinated by it.

I totally agree...they are guy fish. I am fortunate to have a guy that likes more girly things. He was thrilled with Sparrow (our Maltese) and not at all weird about him being small and fluffy. The new fish freak him out. He likes the fantail, but he doesn't really like fish that look like they come from the lake. Thank goodness he isn't attached.