Lime And Calcium Deposits

I posted this a couple of days ago on another thread. If someone wants to join them together it's fine with me. Here is the link to the previous thread http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=71813

The prob is that I can't seem to get the heavy stuff off the bottom of the glass tank, or out of the HOB and the the scrubber looking thing that goes in front of the charcoal filter. I haven't tried the vinager because Acupunk didn't sound like it was a good idea. How do I get these deposits off? Does it matter if they stay on the HOB and the bottom of the tank or do I need to get the deposits off before I start the fishless cycle for the 3rd (and hopefully) last time?

I had a similar situation with a used tank a few years ago. If I remember correctly, I filled a spray bottle of 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water and sprayed the heck out of the effected areas then let it soak in for about 1/2 hour and then scrubbed at it. This mainly worked, but some spots required doing this twice. As for the HOB, I would soak it in a tub of vinegar and water for an extended period of time, I mean... it's plastic, I can't imagine it causing any damage. Hope that helps! :)

Edited by Desiree

The only damage that I can see these deposits causing is if they build up so much that they block the full flow of the filter. And they can, sometimes, etch glass, but, that's about it. I can't see where using vinegar would hurt anything. Just rinse it well.