90g Tank

Guest Bbop

Hi all,

I am currently considering purchasing a 90g tank.

It is being sold at a great price. Hood, tank and stand.

I currently have a 20g main and a 10g hospital tank.

I have 2 goldfish. One small oranda and a small ryukin(in hospital).

My plan has been to move everyone into the 20g main.

I do want to purchase more goldfish in the future (black moor and ranchu)

Is a 90g tank easy to maintain?

Am I just giving myself a lot of work that I cannot handle?

Thanks,

Bbop

Well, I've never had a 90 gallon tank, but I've gone from a 30 gallon to a 60 gallon and I have to say there's only one difference: water changes! I think if you are going to invest in such a big tank (which sounds awesome!) that you also invest in a Phython to help with the larger water changes. Oh, and of course, make sure to get a really good filter(s) to cycle at least 10x the tank volume (ie. 900 gph). Aside from that, I think it's all relative...

Personally I prefer the larger tanks. The bigger the better, its easier to keep water quality in check, the fish will love the extra swimming space,and I agree if you get a python water changes won't be an issue. Hope you get the tank.

the one thing with bigger tanks, is floor support. depending on where you live, your floor may not support a tank that large. just something to think about. i personally like my 2 55g tanks...they're much easier for me to maintain than the little ones. i would love to have a 90g someday but for now i'll have to settle for all other ones i have. :D

i agree with the advise above. the python or an different brand will help greatly during water changes, bucketsw get really old on big tanks. with a larger tank it is....how should i put this? it is a little more forgiving if you dont keep a full weekly routine. the dilution is better and will give you a little extra time, but not much. especially if you are fully stocked. now, having say 3 or 4 goldies in the tank will be more forgiving, but, im not saying that you should slack on wc by any means. as what was said before, get the right filter for the bio-load and you should be good, with water changes of course. it will also have a more stable temperature than the smaller tanks you have now, causing less stress to your fish. but yes, make sure that the floor can handle the weight. though people normally go by water weight, which is a little over 8 lbs a gallon, i use a 10 lbs rule for myself in a felly decorated tank. thats after factoring in water, decorations and fish. so you could be reaching upwards of 900 lbs, thats not even including the weight of filters, the stand, lights and so forth. in all, i hope that you get it! and if i may ask, what ya going to pay for it? post up some pics if you do get it

i agree with the advise above. the python or an different brand will help greatly during water changes, bucketsw get really old on big tanks. with a larger tank it is....how should i put this? it is a little more forgiving if you dont keep a full weekly routine. the dilution is better and will give you a little extra time, but not much. especially if you are fully stocked. now, having say 3 or 4 goldies in the tank will be more forgiving, but, im not saying that you should slack on wc by any means. as what was said before, get the right filter for the bio-load and you should be good, with water changes of course. it will also have a more stable temperature than the smaller tanks you have now, causing less stress to your fish. but yes, make sure that the floor can handle the weight. though people normally go by water weight, which is a little over 8 lbs a gallon, i use a 10 lbs rule for myself in a felly decorated tank. thats after factoring in water, decorations and fish. so you could be reaching upwards of 900 lbs, thats not even including the weight of filters, the stand, lights and so forth. in all, i hope that you get it! and if i may ask, what ya going to pay for it? post up some pics if you do get it

We just (half a year ago) bought a house (a 1930's 'farmhouse', though that's not a really good term for it), which needed some renovation work done, the most important being the floor in the living room and dining room: there was no way the floor in the living room was going to support our 70 gal tank. After a whole lot of stressing :krazy: , the floor has finally been finished (photos will be up soon :) ), and the goldies will be able to return to their former home soon :gcar: (emoticon at Miki's request :P ).

In metric measures, it's much easier (luckily): 1 cubic meter is exactly 1000 kg, or 1 litre = 1 kg.

Hey all,

Thanks for the comments..

The price is $150 CAN.

I'm still thinking about it..

My two gf are still very young. They would be dwarfed in that huge tank..

Also,

When using a device like the python,

there is no time to let the water sit and dechlorinate overnight..

I usually let water sit out overnight and treat it with a water conditioner..

How do you overcome this problem?

I treat the whole tank with dechlorinator. After that I fill it back up with the python, making sure the temperature of the water going in matches the water already in the tank. Not use what kind of house you live in but I in a manufactured home. I went under my house and reinforced my floor with concrete blocks and 4x4s and it has held my 150 gallon fine.

Personally I prefer the larger tanks. The bigger the better, its easier to keep water quality in check, the fish will love the extra swimming space,and I agree if you get a python water changes won't be an issue. Hope you get the tank.

I definitely prefer the larger tanks. Really, they are much easier to take care of. And MUCH less worrying about ammonia, etc.

the one thing with bigger tanks, is floor support. depending on where you live, your floor may not support a tank that large. just something to think about. i personally like my 2 55g tanks...they're much easier for me to maintain than the little ones. i would love to have a 90g someday but for now i'll have to settle for all other ones i have. :D

Yes, floor support is the biggest issue. You need to know your flooring is going to handle the weight. You can help alleviate "pressure points" by making sure your cabinet sits flat on the floor all the way around vs. just on 4 legs/feet. If it does have 4 legs/feet, you can put a piece of plywood with greenboard on top on the floor under the legs. This will distribute the weight more evenly.

Also,

When using a device like the python,

there is no time to let the water sit and dechlorinate overnight..

I usually let water sit out overnight and treat it with a water conditioner..

How do you overcome this problem?

Dechlorinators make water safe pretty much immediately. If you get your water temperature matched coming out of the tank, you're ready to go. There's no need to let your water sit out. As suggested, if you're usinga python, just add your dechlorinator before or, better yet, during the water refill.

• Admin

I have a 80Gal goldfish tank. I had a 45 and a 37 gal tanks.....I have to say that the 80 gal tank is so much easier than the others...reasons:

1. water quality easier to maintain, as long as your not over stocked.

2. water flow from filters (bigger ones) dont push fish around.

3. fish seem happier in alot more water.

Now with my tank i still have buckets of water waiting for me...I do water changes of 20-30% twice a week so I dont have to use a python. Reason for me is the Chlorine in my water is very high and even amquel wont help my water...so i have to do my tank this way.

Now for filters your going to need 2 HOB's and atleast one canister or wet/dry filter to run it....this makes life alot easier :D