Oranda Doing A Headstand

cometgirl

Our little oranda, Teresa, has been bottom sitting, or standing on her head, or even been upside down on the bottom of the tank a lot today. When I go into peek at her, she will get up and swim around, but her swimming seems fast and agitated.

She is currently alone in a 15 gallon rubbermaid with a penguin 150 and a topfin 10 filter. I just tested 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, pH 8.2 (same as the tap). Teresa is only 1.5 inches from mouth to base of tail.

I have been out of town for almost a month, and for the first two weeks, we had a friend come in every 2 or 3 days to feed the fish. Then my husband came home and I walked him through a couple of water changes. He also started feeding once a day. When I got back yesterday, I changed about 80%. Her water tested fine before the water change.

She is eating fine, and I gave her a pea this morning. I've also gone out and gotten fresh fish food, think that what we had (Hikari Lionhead) was getting old. I haven't given her any of the new food yet.

I'm not sure how much to worry yet, or what else to look for. Does this seem like a swim bladder problem or something else? She is definitely not floating.

Orandas in gerneral do crazy things more than any other fancy. I wouldn't worry too much if everything else seems OK.

That's good to know! I'm pretty new to fancies. She is our first and we only got her a few months ago.

I just peeked in on her and she was swimming normally. I'll keep an eye on her.

Thanks, Heidi, I feel like such a silly newbie sometimes! :rolleyes: And I always worry about the slightest change in my fishes' behavior.

But that's what I like about this place. You can ask silly questions and everyone will reassure you, rather than laugh at you! :)

Thanks, Heidi, I feel like such a silly newbie sometimes! :rolleyes: And I always worry about the slightest change in my fishes' behavior.

But that's what I like about this place. You can ask silly questions and everyone will reassure you, rather than laugh at you! :)

Don't EVER feel stupid or silly! We've all been there. It's the only way to learn. Yeah, large wen growth can offset your fish. Imagine carrying a big ol' load on top of your head and then trying to run! You'd probably topple over too! Does your oranda have particularly out of proportion wen growth or "bubbly" vs. compact?

My oranda does some bottom sitting from time to time. It concerned me at first, but he's a healthy fish. I've treated him with all the preventative treatments; salt, prazi, epsom salt, MM, just in case, but he's still fine, so I've just decided he's just a lazy boy. Quite frankly, I think if I were a fish, that's what I'd do! Heck! Sitting on the bottom vs. moving your "arms" and "legs" all the time to stay afloat?! I'll take the lazy version thank you! lol!

Thanks Lynda. :)

Actually, Teresa has no wen to speak of. She also lost most of her tail a few months ago, and it is slowly growing back. Trinket was a real star and helped us cure that problem. Here is a picture of the little darling from a couple of months ago. You can see her lack of wen, and bad tail. The tail is much better now, but still no sign of wen.

trtail2.jpg

She was swimming okay last night, and this morning she was back to head standing, and almost laying on her back at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the tank. But if she sees me, she goes back to swimming upright. I can't really get a good picture of it as the rubbermaid she is in is semi-opaque.

Hi Cometgirl,

I just went through a brutal bout of SBD with my oranda. He was a lot bigger than Teresa, but if she is sensitive to certain foods, might as well nip it in the bud right now. Do as was suggested earlier and fast her for three days, then feed a pea. When you're ready to start feeding again, look at how you're feeding. Are you soaking the pellets first? Do you squeeze the air out real well? If yes, then you might want to explore foods for floaty sensitive fish. Gel food can either be a blessing or a big NO, frozen foods like brine shrimp and spirulina or bloodworms might work well too. Try more fresh veggies and fruits but avoid gassy greens like brocolli.

Good luck!

Thanks Heidi and Luvbender. Fasting sound like a good first step.

Heidi, she doesn't seem to be fighting the current. She will do this even inside a large pvc elbow we have in the tank, where I'm sure there is not much current. Looking at the video again, it looks more like she is fighting to stay upright.

Luvbender, I remember reading about your saga with SBD and I thought of it when I saw Teresa getting vertical. I have been soaking the pellets first, but since we've been away on vacation, she hasn't had any fresh fruits or veggies.

I'll fast her for 3 days, and then try a pea. Then we will see how it goes.