What Kind Of Goldie Are These?

vickielm

I was at the hospital for my granddaughter to get a MRI last week. It was a long wait, so I went over to check out the large aquarium they had in the waiting room. There were these GORGEOUS large goldfish in there, and they looked as if they had lips!! They were fantastic and I wondered what type they were. They had long slim bodies similar to comets, and their tails weren't really long. It was their faces that were so incredible, and especially their lips, lol.

I'm planning on getting a larger tank at some point and would love to have one or two of them.

Oh gosh Heidi, that is them!! Wow. Cichlids, huh? I just KNEW they were goldies because there was no heater in the tank, or any other tanks I've seen them in.

Cichlids! :blink:

Their coloring is just like goldfish and their body style is just like goldies. They have the most expressive little faces and eyes!! They just look happy.

Sorry Franky. I was wrong. :ignore

They sure are about the most interesting looking fish I've ever seen, and they are probably horribly expensive.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Heidi! :D

Edited by vickielm

If you're interested in getting them, make sure you do your research as cichlids, especially new world cichlids, have their own set of issues, such as being aggressive and territorial thus, not many can be kept together and they need lots of space and lots of hidey holes.

Wikipedia - Blood Parrot Cichlids

Edited by Lynda Von G

yeah they need around 40 gallon tanks or more for a pair....they are hybrids..and cannot reproduce...the female lays eggs but the male is impotent..but they grow aggressive towards other fish in the tank while breeding..as the pair tries to guard the eggs from getting eaten...but otherwise they are pretty peaceful and the cutest fish..like Vickie says..their lips..it always seems like they are smiling...I had researched on them as I had plans on getting them...but I was always stuck on goldies..and right now no space for another huge tank.. :) ...Also it is said that they suffer genetically..cos they are artificially produced...so as they grow their spines can grow bad on them...and also they are said to be injected with artificial colors...which has been highly controversial...Anyways, I still love them..and would look really awesome in any tank.. :) ..

If you're interested in getting them, make sure you do your research as cichlids, especially new world cichlids, have their own set of issues, such as being aggressive and territorial thus, not many can be kept together and they need lots of space and lots of hidey holes.

Wikipedia - Blood Parrot Cichlids

Thanks for that Lynda. That was an interesting article. And SunshineGurl, I did some more reading about them last night and the issues you both brought up were exactly right. Its not the Blood Parrot that is dyed, but another kind of smaller cichlid in the parrot family.

Now how horrible is this....when the parrot cichlids are small, the slime coat is removed by a chemical process. Then they are "painted" different colors, and put in a tank for their slime coat to grow back. Because of this "torturous" process, the parrots (not Blood parrots...just parrot cichlids) have stunted growth and do not live very long lives.

Why is this legal? Its horrible.

Ahhh..this makes sense...maybe I mixed up the two...I did remember it had to do with parrot fish..but now I know its not Blood Parrot..cool thanks for correcting Vickie...yeah totally agree..it is a torture for the poor fish...there have been many petitions and stuff against it..but I think its still legal...