What A Surprise!

Guest julieann75

Guest julieann75

Well here I was yesterday asking about why some of the fry were dying off and what happens this morning??? More eggs in the adult tank!!!! When I had first posted here a few weeks ago I had noted that we hadn't been expecting this first batch of fry at all so we had no idea what to do with them. I've had goldfish the majority of the last 14 years and never once did we have this happen so I'm just shocked. She just laid eggs exactly 3 weeks ago today and now they are all over a plant and across the bottom. Don't get me wrong, we don't mind in fact I am actually excited because I was sad to see some of the smaller ones from the first group die, BUT we had no idea that a second batch of eggs would come along so soon. I was curious of anyone can tell me roughly how long this actually goes on for just so we can make some decisions here.

One thing is clear until all of this is done, we have to move mom out of the tank, she has two males with breeding stars after her constantly and a third one who has no stars but is chasing her as well (I'm guessing that one is reducing our egg count since that one was caught eating several of the eggs from group number one). We missed seeing the actual spawning the first time but as opposed to the video of spawning behavior that is pinned here, there are three after her and they are essentially cornering her and almost crushing her against the gravel, the wall or one of the tank decorations and I'm worried about her being seriously hurt. I believe they sell breeding tanks at a local store so that is where I am heading after I am done with this an I'm thiniking we can put one male with her to see what we get as far as the eggs but I dont want to leave her where she is right now and I'm not quite sure after she lays these eggs how long I should leave her there. I'm essentially concerned if we put her right back in the tank that this will happen again and depending on what time of day it happens we may not be home to get her out. I hate putting her in a small tank for an extended time but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It really depends on the individual fish and the living conditions for the past year. Some fish will spawn once, release all of their eggs, and be done for the entire year. Others once a month, or once a week. My fish last year spawned once a week, always on the same day, for 3 months before stopping. She did not however release a ton of eggs at once, usually between 10-30 at a time. This year the same fish spawned twice so far, both much larger groups of eggs and has seemed to stop.

So your fish may stop after this, or they may continue untill the weather starts to cool down. From what I have seen of breeding behavior, the males will usually not chase a female unless they still have eggs to give up. Of course there are probably the exceptions to this that think "if I bug her enough she will give in" no matter if the female still has eggs or not.

Indeed. With my pond fish I'm upto my 6th batch since May.

If its in a tank, you might be able to help stop it by controlling the room temp.

Eg no heater, less light, windows + doors open