Red Abcess Looking Bumps?

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

OK well, I didnt worry about this too much but yesturday I saw two red bumps on my fantail trinket.. Thinking it was from another fish and it would go away I didn't worry much as I remembered when I first got my fantail Goldy she had it when I bought her and it quickly went away, well Trinket got another one, and now I noticed two on my Oranda Lilly..

I don't know if its from another fish or a parasite or what to think I need to go out and get a testing kit today then I'll repost the results later, but can anyone pleasee help me??! Should I put the two fish in QT now? They are acting normally besides this?'

lalaloreey032.jpg

lalaloreey033.jpg

lalaloreey034.jpg

lalaloreey035.jpg

lalaloreey036.jpg

PLEASEE help me! I CANT lose my Fantail and I REALLLYY CANT lose my Oranda because I love her soo much I cant! Pleasee help!!

I am wondering if it is the begining of anchor worm ...do not move them the whole tank will need to be treated ...a worm will start to grow out of the center which you can eventually tweeze out and apply peroxcide to the spot ..also daily vaccuming ,get a test kit and pick up parasite clear tabs(you can get this at wal~mart) ..test water always before adding meds ..I would like to see what others have to say .,,but water parameters are what is needed too

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Oh god forbid! Im afraid to touch my fish! That seems like a lot of work! Ughh. Well is anchor worm fatal? What is it caused by?

Are they open sores or just red bumps? They could also be a sign of internal bacterial infection. If you can (I know you said you don't like holding them :P ) can you hold one still for a good close up shot with your camera?

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I can see, bassically it looks like a blood red bump with like a little white dot in the middle. Now that I think about it, I think my other fish had anchor worm when I got him (White string), but it went away? Thats like 6 months ago too and in a different tank IDK what it is, its not like a white string or anything just a dot.. Theres one on Trinkets butt too?!? I thought it was an open sore at first but I dont know!

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

Kayla. You need to answer the questions. That will help immensely for us to understand what has been going on in your tank. We can't make a proper diagnosis before we know these things. On the surface, without facts, it does sound like an internal bacterial infection. But, with the information from the questions above, we can know that for sure. Okay?

Edited by Lynda Von G

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Lynda I need to get a test kit first, I had one but my moms kid she babysits got into them, they arnt usable anymore. I'll go and get the water tested today and report back with the perimeters. Also how can you tell the difference between an internal infection which sounds serious and anchor worms which isnt too serious?

thats what we need to figure out ...anchor worm can be serious as it leads to secondary infection...you need to get good pics of the areas ..what other symptoms are your fish displaying ..are they flashing .,darting around the tank are they bottom sitting ,is there red streaks in their fins ..you need to get water results asap anchor worm(eggs ,larva) can lay in the gravel on plants etc ..they just don't go away .

Lynda I need to get a test kit first, I had one but my moms kid she babysits got into them, they arnt usable anymore. I'll go and get the water tested today and report back with the perimeters. Also how can you tell the difference between an internal infection which sounds serious and anchor worms which isnt too serious?

I understand. Let us know when you have something for us. :) The most basic difference between an internal bacterial bump and anchor worm is that you should see a little white string-like thing coming out of the bump if it's anchor worm.

thats what we need to figure out ...anchor worm can be serious as it leads to secondary infection...you need to get good pics of the areas ..what other symptoms are your fish displaying ..are they flashing .,darting around the tank are they bottom sitting ,is there red streaks in their fins ..you need to get water results asap anchor worm(eggs ,larva) can lay in the gravel on plants etc ..they just don't go away .

But, yes. Let's hold off on worrying what it is until you've posted answers to the questions. And also yes, if you could isolate or hold your fish and take a really good picture of the area(s) in question, that would really help.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

OK, well I went to my mmm to get the water tested.. They couldn't figure out how to do that and they didnt know what an Oranda was.. So we went to Aqua hut with a new bottle of water and my Fantail, Trinket to show them.. They said it was anchor worm, all the water perimeters were in range except my PH was a littleee high so I bought a PH fixer thingyy and another bottle of something that helps heal the ulcers that are left there and gets rid of the anchor worms. So first I did a water change then I used the PH fixer thing and THEN I added the anchor worm thingy after about a half an hour. So I am REALLLY hoping that this is it and it'll help and go away eventually... But what I was REALLY happy about was they asked me all these questions about the water, tank size, how many fish, symptoms, like they wanted to help AND!! they reffered me to koko's!!! LMAO!! I just politely said, thank you very much for all your help! :D

EDIT: But Lynda I only see one bump with a little thread like string..? I menchioned that to the guy and he said it doesn't matter. Oh and IDK what flashing is? But they were rubbing against eachother as if to scratch? Thats pretty much it?

OK, well I went to my mmm to get the water tested.. They couldn't figure out how to do that and they didnt know what an Oranda was.. So we went to Aqua hut with a new bottle of water and my Fantail, Trinket to show them.. They said it was anchor worm, all the water perimeters were in range except my PH was a littleee high so I bought a PH fixer thingyy and another bottle of something that helps heal the ulcers that are left there and gets rid of the anchor worms. So first I did a water change then I used the PH fixer thing and THEN I added the anchor worm thingy after about a half an hour. So I am REALLLY hoping that this is it and it'll help and go away eventually... But what I was REALLY happy about was they asked me all these questions about the water, tank size, how many fish, symptoms, like they wanted to help AND!! they reffered me to koko's!!! LMAO!! I just politely said, thank you very much for all your help! :D

EDIT: But Lynda I only see one bump with a little thread like string..? I menchioned that to the guy and he said it doesn't matter. Oh and IDK what flashing is? But they were rubbing against eachother as if to scratch? Thats pretty much it?

Okay, you didn't know, none of us did when we all started out, but, pretty much, we don't ever take the word of fish store personnel. They are either completely without knowledge of fish in general, or have knowledge about tropicals and/or saltwater, but very few have enough knowledge about goldfish to consider their opinion valuable, especially the chain stores. Only buy your dry goods at the chain stores. And when they don't know how to test water and/or what an oranda is, I definitely would have walked out of the store and not looked back. I'm glad that the second store referred you to Kokos, so hopefully, what they advised will actually be correct. But, I would like to get the information here before confirming what they told you.

So, we really need you to get actual numbers from the place you took your water to be tested. Okay, or in range is not good enough. We need actual numbers for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. And again, because goldfish are unique, we don't want to "fix" ph until we have the numbers. There are also better ways of fixing ph than out of a bottle. Bottled fixes are temporary and may change the ph too quickly and that can be worse for the fish than just leaving it where it's at. It is also better to not buy medication or treat your fish until you have heard, from a truly reliable source, exactly what your fish are suffering from. Maybe this person at Aquahut was, but, we would just like to have the info to be sure. Because, for one thing, you treat anchorworms and bacterial ulcers with two different products and not necessarily at the same time. Yes, flashing is scratching, whether against other fish, or on the sides or bottom of the tank or decorations.

It would've been better not to treat with any of the meds you bought until you got us actual numbers for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph and until we can determine, unquestionably, what your fish have. But, if you would, could you get the actual numbers from that guy? We just can't help without them. The point of getting the numbers is to figure out WHY your fish are suffering from whatever they are. Treating the illness without fixing the problem that caused it is pointless. The fish will never get better or it will just get sick again.

Now, refresh us on the bumps. How many fish have bumps and how many bumps on each fish? You said one DOES have the white stringy thing coming out, but that's all you mentioned. What do all the bumps look like? Look closely because where you see one white stringy thing, it's very likely you'll see more.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

OK thanks for helping me. Well, the bumps look like a pimple being squeesed (lmao sorry for the visual) but it is like, bloody red in color and at the end of it there is like white little string on one of the red ones and the rest just look like a short white stuff sticking out, well I had my dad call and see if they still had the bottled water we gave them with our aquarium water inside, and the guy said yes and said the parameters: amonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=22 and my PH was 8.0 three fish have it, my black moore too now except his is just one and its not included with a bump, just the white, and my Oranda has two bumps and my fantail has three. The stuff I bought was: 'Proper PH 7.5' and 'CyroPro' And if it helps, I added two quarentined fish a few weeks ago and added new decoration too. Also, would it be better if I got rid of the sand in my aquarium?? Even though the water is chrystal looking :P

Hi Kayla.. I have a few things to add from the already great advice you have been getting from everyone.

Please don't use the Ph down products...(again, just stressing what Lynda said) I killed two bettas using those... My PH is 8.2 and it's FINE for the goldies..I wouldn't mess with the PH. Your PH should not be a problem for the goldies (some here even have it up to 8.4).

It does SOUND like anchor worm.. And if that is the case, Trinket helped me remove an anchor worm from my fish.. It was easy (sounds scary) but it was not hard at all.. The one Trinket suggested was Dimilin.. I have seen it in many stores in the pond section. I am going to go back to the thread where she told me what to do, and copy and paste the important parts for you. Just give me some time.. BRB

Okay this is my fish Miranda with an anchor worm:

MirandaNow.jpg

MirandaNow2.jpg

Here is the post on removal of the worm:

Tweezing out an anchor worm.

You will need:

Tweezers

Low clear colored bowl or plastic container (a large clean tupperware will do).

A steady hand

Good eyes and good light

HP and cotton bud.

Fill the container with tank water and place Angel in it.

Bring Angel up to just under the surface with your non-writing hand, tail/bottom up a little. Be careful not to cover his gills so he can breathe okay. Then with your other hand pull the worm exactly as you would tweeze an eyebrow hair. In a straight direction out from the follicle. Grip the tweezers very tightly. It makes a little pop sensation as it comes out. If you wipe it on a tissue you can see it is a tiny jellylike thing that looks even smaller dead/off. (It cannot live without a host). You may need to try several times as Angel will wriggle and you may need to let him have a break and then try again so he isn't too stressed.

Do not let the fish come out of the water because : You cannot see anchor worm out of the water!

Keep very calm. If you panic put her back and wait. Try again. You must be calm and you must know EXACTLY where the worm is before you lift her so you don't waste time grappling in the wrong place. (I have tried to pull out worms only to find I had pulled off a piece of slime coat :o you really need good eyes and memory for position)

You should really disinfect the spot after removing the worm (if you are sure you have the worm out) a cotton bud dipped in hp is best for this. One quick wipe is all it needs, just above the water level (never remove the fish for longer than 30 secs).

Good luck. Stay calm. You can do it.

Now here is a link to my thread. It has all the extra little questions and information:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=70364&hl=

FYI I got the dimlin for anchor worm on goldfishconnection. It worked great and no more achor worm...it also kills those stupid eggs! Good luck!

Yes I bought mine from GFC also!!! However, since then I have seen it some stores, so you might want to call your stores and see if they have it before you order from GFC.

Also, as Trinket explained to me, you do not HAVE to remove the worm. It helps them, BUT if you are not comfortable, the dimilin will kill them!!!! It's completely okay if you are not comfortable with it, or even if you want to wait til a moderator is on that can talk you through it. I FREAKED OUT!!! I just wanted you to take a look at the thread and get an idea of what it was like in case..

And finally: The nasty worm after removal:

EwwAnchorWorm.jpg

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thanks I may try that, it looks a lot like Miranda's thing except theres more than one on the fish and the red bump is bigger my Oranda has two on the fins like that but her fins are much longer and my fantail has one on her butt or near her butt and on the dorsal fin line so theyre tricky spots. Also, cyropro wont help?? I feel like i wasted my money.. I could return it if its not going to help? Theres a crack in the bottle so I can have a reason? Also if I have to use this 'dimlin' then i am confused what i have to do because the water has been treated with the cyropro and the directions are one teaspoon once a week for three weeks?

The anchor worm that my fishie had just dropped off after a couple days of using the dimlin. Don't be afraid of your fish :heart they are cool! Although I have a bit aprehension on ever having to do surgical procedures on my fish....they do eat right out of my hands and nibble my arms while I am cleaning the tank. I never thought they would but it is pretty cool.

Lets get past the anchor worm first! You can do it! And then chalk it up to a learning experience! :rolleyes:

I really don't know if that medicine will help.. Taking a glance at it, I see that it IS for anchor worm, and that it appears to be made by a brand that also has liquid prazi. Dimilin was recommened to me, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I am just not the one that can let you know if it is what you need or not.. The only info I have is from the experience I had. I use the meds that they tell me to use, and have very little knowledge on other meds... A moderator or member with med experience will have to let you know about that particular medication. I'm sorry : (

The good news is, most places will allow a return if it's unopened, and you don't need a reason. Just "found something else" or "don't need it anymore".

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Uh ohh I did open it though, remember I menchion I used a teaspoon of it too! Can anyone somehow tell me someone to talk to who used it or something I need to know if it works or i dont know! Umm, also can anyone show me the link to demlin on goldfish connection? I looked but i cant find it?

oops I must have missed the part where you said you used it..

It's Dimilin and it's in the medicines.. Here:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...27&catId=21

But seriously, if you have a pet CO they may have it. I have seen it there before. And in other local stores.