Leaving On A Jet Plane!

Chrissy_Bee

My big trip to California begins tomorrow!! :nana

I'm getting excited, but also nervous. I have to leave before dawn tomorrow and fly across the continent, I'm actually looking forward to that, I love flying (not so excited about customs though!). Then I have to get a bus to my conference grounds for another 2 hours, hopefully the scenery will be nice for that part at least. I have NO clue what to expect once I get there. I don't know anybody and I think I have a roommate, so hopefully there are some fun people there for me to hang out with. If not, I'm just going to wander around with my camera .... or collapse from exhaustion, there's a 5.5 hour time difference so I'm going to be hurting at that point.

The next day I'm going on a 'field trip' to the aquarium - I've been to seaworld before but never a large aquarium like that, should be great.

The following day is my presentation day, so far it's about 60% done, I"m such a slacker! I figured I'd make good use of my time on the plane by fixing it up and practicing a little....the person sitting next to me is going to think I'm crazy for talking to myself ;)

When the conference ends (Friday) my sister is flying down to meet me and we're going to wander San Fransisco for a few days (where I'm going to another aquarium and the zoo!!!) :D

My conference grounds are 'free of distractions like tv, phones and Internet'....leave it to ecologists to book that place....so I won't be on koko's until the 20th or 21st :cry . I'm leaving my fish in the care of my bf, I won't lie, I'm a little worried! I'm going to do a major water change today, luckily my perams have been fantastic so I don't think 8 days will do them much harm. I'm going to put their food in a pill container and the lights are on a timer. I also need to get him to take care of Elaine, which means hand feeding, daily cleaning and frequent water changes. I guess everything will be ok, but there are always little emergencies for me to worry about.

Hope you have a great conference!

I grew up about 40 miles south of San Francisco, and in fact just got back from almost a month of visiting there. There are tons of great places to see, so you should have a great time. Which aquariums are you going to?

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic! I've taken my kids there before, and really wanted to go back again this trip, but we just didn't have time. Take lots of pictures!

San Francisco is great too. I lived in the City for a couple of years, and this year we took my kids up to walk around our old neighborhood. Going up and down those hills reminded me why I was in such good shape when I lived there. :D Be sure to bring your walking shoes, and have a fabulous time!

The following day is my presentation day, so far it's about 60% done, I"m such a slacker! I figured I'd make good use of my time on the plane by fixing it up and practicing a little....the person sitting next to me is going to think I'm crazy for talking to myself ;)

Make sure you put the presentation online somewhere so we can have a look at it ;) .

If the person next to you looks at you funny, just mention that you're a 'biologist'. That should explain enough :P:rofl .

My conference grounds are 'free of distractions like tv, phones and Internet'....leave it to ecologists to book that place....so I won't be on koko's until the 20th or 21st :cry . I'm leaving my fish in the care of my bf, I won't lie, I'm a little worried! I'm going to do a major water change today, luckily my perams have been fantastic so I don't think 8 days will do them much harm. I'm going to put their food in a pill container and the lights are on a timer. I also need to get him to take care of Elaine, which means hand feeding, daily cleaning and frequent water changes. I guess everything will be ok, but there are always little emergencies for me to worry about.

Miki and I are also going to be away (on a well-deserved holiday) from this thursday till the saturday after (14-23). We're going to put the food in eppendorf capsules, one for each day and each tank (Miki's mom is going to take care of the feeding). She's never done that for 10 days in a row, but she's fed them before, so I'm relatively confident that they'll be alright.

Make sure you let us know how it all went :D .

Well I'm getting up at 3am to head to the airport which is currently fogged in!!! Fingers crossed, because it's looking like if I don't get out tomorrow I may not get to the conference at all. Hopefully I'll talk to you all next week and will have some pics to share.

Ohhh! I hope you take lotsa pictures and give us a little tour when you get back! I have been to both the aquariums you mentioned, I'm sure you will have a great time! I'm jealous! :D