Sign in to follow this  
Earth!Mother

...castor Oil In Treatment For Constipation?

"DEAR GOLDFISH LOVERS, MY NAME IS DAVID BRUNY AND I HAVE SOME VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF YOU CONCERNING GOLDFISH CONSTIPATION; THERE IS A CURE FOR YOUR FISH IF YOU SEE THEM FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN.THE CURE:GET A SMALL GLASS(LIKE A SHOT GLASS) AND FILL IT WITH A LITTLE CASTOR OIL SOAK A FEW GOLDFISH FLAKE FOOD FLAKES IN THE CASTOR OIL THEN WITH A TWEEZER PICK UP A FEW OF THE FLAKES AND FEED THE(CASTOR OIL SOAKED FLAKES) TO THE AFFLICTED FISH (NOT TOO MUCH NOW) JUST ENOUGH TO GET THE OIL IN THEIR SYSTEM. I DID THIS FOR MY PRIZED RYUNKIN AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!!.PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH ALL FISH LOVERS.THANK YOU DAVID BRUN"

I found this on an aquarist website when reading about goldfish constipation, the advice sort of...well shocked me. I might be biased because I had an incident with castor oil when ill, which now makes me cringe and gag at the thought of oily substances. Really, now I hate foods with oil or grease. But anyway, I found the advice odd because goldfish are supposed to avoid fatty substances, right? Wouldn't this go for oil? If it works, it works, and has anyone tried this? Athena gets constipated at the drop of a hat, and I've been looking for ways to...err, unclog her if she gets backed up badly. Anyway, castor oil doesn't exactly taste like heaven so I was also thinking there might be a problem in getting them to eat the pellets, who knows.

-insert my gagging sound here-

Castor oil is for people. *hears Charlton Heston screaming Soylent Green is PEEEPLE!!!*

I can't see how it would work for fish, and I wouldn't use it. I never understood the thinking of some people about that.

Wow...well I like taking castor oil every weekend..it keeps my system clear and nice...but goldfish???Nooo..I would never try that...I think castor oil is for people, like Vickie said...and I totally agree...wow...but it makes me think..would it work??..I will never try it though..

Good for you Sunshingurl, the stuff works but man...it gave me the burps, and I felt sicker after taking a couple tablespoons full! I was quite the baby about those burps and the churning; but I can't handle stomach pains for the life of me, lol.

You know I started looking it up and there are a few websites that say this works...None of them were breeders or veterinarian websites, or really anyone who you know...you'd probably value info from. But they said it works...Who knows if it really did, right? :blink: I'll link you guys to a few of the sites if not just for discussions sake. It makes me wonder, if this is bad for the fish, does information/advice get passed around often that's pretty bad for fish?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/constipation.php

"RE: Fish swimming on angle

Brought to you by

* Posted by woeisme z6 NJ (My Page) on

Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 8:27

Peas work, if they dont eat that epsom salt added to the water will flush them out. Also saturate there food with a few drops of parafin or castor oil. I wonder if haveing "sacrificial" ( or sacrifishal) plants would work in a bigtime herbivore aquarium like a goldfish's. Keep the sturdy plants like java's for decor and raise a more plalatable plant or plants in a seperate tank and just drop them in for feasting. Worth a shot I guess."

Link to site.

Something notable as I'm looking this up, I'm finding more people who say it doesn't work rather than people who say it does.

Good for you Sunshingurl, the stuff works but man...it gave me the burps, and I felt sicker after taking a couple tablespoons full! I was quite the baby about those burps and the churning; but I can't handle stomach pains for the life of me, lol.

hehehehe...2 tablespoons??wow..thts a lot..I just do 1...and I put it in some warm water..and drink it with my nose closed (just shut the nostrils by clipping it with fingers...)...drink some plain warm water..and wenever you get that sick burp shut ur nose..trust me you wont feel the taste at all...thts just a tip my dad gave me..cos I cudnt take it at all...LOL

You know I started looking it up and there are a few websites that say this works...None of them were breeders or veterinarian websites, or really anyone who you know...you'd probably value info from. But they said it works...Who knows if it really did, right? :blink: I'll link you guys to a few of the sites if not just for discussions sake. It makes me wonder, if this is bad for the fish, does information/advice get passed around often that's pretty bad for fish?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/constipation.php

"RE: Fish swimming on angle

Brought to you by

* Posted by woeisme z6 NJ (My Page) on

Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 8:27

Peas work, if they dont eat that epsom salt added to the water will flush them out. Also saturate there food with a few drops of parafin or castor oil. I wonder if haveing "sacrificial" ( or sacrifishal) plants would work in a bigtime herbivore aquarium like a goldfish's. Keep the sturdy plants like java's for decor and raise a more plalatable plant or plants in a seperate tank and just drop them in for feasting. Worth a shot I guess."

Link to site.

Something notable as I'm looking this up, I'm finding more people who say it doesn't work rather than people who say it does.

This is good information..but again...I would really not try it...EarthMother and I feel so sick...I wonder what it wud do to our babies...

Well, first, I don't think castor oil can be considered "fatty" as it's a vegetable oil. That said, I put stock in how well written something is. Forgive me if it sounds elitist, but if you are educated enough to know whether a treatment is viable, you should be educated enough to write it well. Both excerpts are poorly written. Additionally, they come from people who, apparently, keep goldfish in conjunction with other fish, and from what I gather, in some cases, in WITH other tropical fish. And some aren't even posting on dedicted goldfish websites. And one of these excerpts suggests using parafin. That's wax. A solid wax, not a liquid anything. That concerns me a lot.

We have highly knowledgeable people here who dedicate themselves to goldfish and who have been on here for years giving advice. I should think that if any of these treatments were useful or beneficial, they would've been suggesting their use. Thus, I, personally, don't believe I would follow any of this advice.

I agree with Lynda. I've never heard anyone here advocate the use of cod liver oil or castor oil for constipation of fish. What I have seen them recommend are peas and possibly a grain or two of epsom salts placed in a pea so the fish would eat it.

And parrafin for crying out loud? I shudder to think of what that would do to the insides of a fish!!

DEAR GOLDFISH LOVERS, MY NAME IS DAVID BRUNY AND I HAVE SOME VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF YOU CONCERNING GOLDFISH CONSTIPATION; THERE IS A CURE FOR YOUR FISH IF YOU SEE THEM FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN.THE CURE: GET A SMALL GLASS(LIKE A SHOT GLASS) AND FILL IT WITH A LITTLE CASTOR OIL SOAK A FEW GOLDFISH FLAKE FOOD FLAKES IN THE CASTOR OIL THEN WITH A TWEEZER PICK UP A FEW OF THE FLAKES AND FEED THE(CASTOR OIL SOAKED FLAKES) TO THE AFFLICTED FISH (NOT TOO MUCH NOW) JUST ENOUGH TO GET THE OIL IN THEIR SYSTEM. I DID THIS FOR MY PRIZED RYUNKIN AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!!.PLEASE SHARE THIS INFO WITH ALL FISH LOVERS.THANK YOU DAVID BRUNY

I wrote this Article in the 1990's and I stand by it today.