Newest Photos Of My Fish

Well, I cleaned the tank this morning, and thought it was the perfect opportunity for a photoshoot. Unfortunately, my parrotfish disagreed and set to work rebuilding his nest that I so inconsiderately destroyed with a gravel-vac, so no photos of him today. Maybe tomorrow if I can get him to come out (his nest is behind/under that pink thing in the bottom right corner) I'll upload a pic of him as well. But here ya go.

tank.jpg

My tank.

cat.jpg

My pic-waster (thank goodness for digital cameras). I could snap a hundred pictures of this guy and he'll blur 99 of 'em.

shark1.jpg

There's my male balashark. His girl is bein' shy in the background.

shark2.jpg

A better shot, same setup.

shark3.jpg

And finally, a black and white photo of her peering coyly out from behind the rock.

Thanks for letting me show them off :heart . Hopefully I can get a pic of the parrotfish tomorrow. I'm kinda surprised he didn't come out when he saw the camera, he always likes to swim infront of the shot I'm trying for... but I think he was letting me know how pissed he was.

Ohh they are sooooo cool!!! How big are those balasharks (I've never heard of them other than your name).. They are really awesome.. And your tank is really nice looking!! I like the bright colors.

Not sure how big they are to be honest. Darn if they won't swim up to my ruler and sit still enough for an accurate measurement :-) Na, if they're right up at the glass, they're bigger than my hand, so if I had to guess I wanna say around 7 inches, maybe a little less. The catfish would then be 6 inches, or a little more.

Chrissy, it's freshwater. Can't add any salt to it actually, cuz of the pictus cat. Eventually I'll do a saltwater tank, I have a couple empty tanks sitting around, and the 36 would make a nice fish-only setup. Actually, what I'd love to do is get a 125 and a few more balas and couple of other schooling tropicals, and then use this one for a saltwater tank with a little live rock. Its nice to dream though... :)

Hidr, I know what ya mean. At full adult size for all four fish in there now I'll be at maybe 40" (2 12" balas, 1 10" pictus, and a 5" parrot), well overstocking the 75 gallons filtered at 500gph. And the over four-foot long bowfront hardly gives them any swimming room right now. :)

BTW, its not a real blood parrot. Nope, it's a double-hybrid convict parrot or "bubblegum" parrot. He won't get much bigger than he is right now.

Chrissy, it's freshwater. Can't add any salt to it actually, cuz of the pictus cat. Eventually I'll do a saltwater tank, I have a couple empty tanks sitting around, and the 36 would make a nice fish-only setup. Actually, what I'd love to do is get a 125 and a few more balas and couple of other schooling tropicals, and then use this one for a saltwater tank with a little live rock. Its nice to dream though...

Cool :) I like seeing a nice big bowfront that is freshwater, so often people use those tanks for salt. Not that I don't like salt water tanks, but I think freshwater can be very unappreciated.

parrot.jpg

There he is! I said this before but your parrot fish really is the cutest one I've ever seen. And he looks great in front of that colorful background--neat pic. :)

I like your other fish too, though--it's nice to see such large, healthy specimens.

Vickie was looking for blood parrot cichilds that grow really big...over 8 inches in some cases...As balashark says its not a blood parrot and this one will stay small....

BTW, its not a real blood parrot. Nope, it's a double-hybrid convict parrot or "bubblegum" parrot. He won't get much bigger than he is right now.

Wow..I didn't know something like this exists...cool looking fish...

Vickie was looking for blood parrot cichilds that grow really big...over 8 inches in some cases...As balashark says its not a blood parrot and this one will stay small....

QUOTEBTW, its not a real blood parrot. Nope, it's a double-hybrid convict parrot or "bubblegum" parrot. He won't get much bigger than he is right now.

Wow..I didn't know something like this exists...cool looking fish...

Just smack me! LOL I actually read the majority of this post yesterday, then only saw Vickie's post today, so by then I forgot he mentioned that : ) I have no idea when it comes to anything other than goldfish and bettas so I am just in awe of these guys..

LOL Countrylovah, yep, if you take one of the blood parrots that you saw and a convict cichlid and breed them, you've got one of my guys. But remember, the blood parrots aren't a naturally occurring fish, they're a hybrid of either midas, redhead, severum, or red devil cichlids. Hence the 'double-hybird'.

Unfortunately, my little guy was dyed. I got him before I knew anything of this barbaric practice, and ofcourse the pet store didn't say anything. Actually, the dye is completely out of him now (he was green), so depending on what day you look at him he's pink/flesh-colored or yellow, or both like in the picture above.

And apprently Kristi likes 'em better than the blood parrots. I do too. :-) I like blood parrots but they'll keep growing and growing, when they're full grown they look really round, kinda discus shaped almost, but fat. And when they get that big they get swimbladder problems, and often times they can't close their mouth to eat, and so starve to death.

Thanks sally, kissy, franky, sunshinegurl, daniel and anyone else i missed :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
LOL Countrylovah, yep, if you take one of the blood parrots that you saw and a convict cichlid and breed them, you've got one of my guys. But remember, the blood parrots aren't a naturally occurring fish, they're a hybrid of either midas, redhead, severum, or red devil cichlids. Hence the 'double-hybird'.

Interesting! : ) Thanks for the extra info. I know who to come to if I ever need tropical fish advice!!

I feel like ever since I've seen this thread, I've been seeing those blood parrots everywhere! Probably just because I am noticing them more now that they've been brought to my attention. : )

Thanks shamu and fishcrazy. :)

Always glad to help and share my knowledge of otherwise useless facts :P Parrots are beautiful fish, aren't they? The blood parrots can get pretty big though.

wow..that was gr888 info..I had no idea abt the SBD and the problems they face at a later stage...cool...parrots are very beautiful fish..I would really love to get one someday...and definitely I will turn to you for advice...beautiful tank once again.. :)

Always glad to help and share my knowledge of otherwise useless facts :P

Good because I like hearing it!! Everytime someone gives me longer explanations than needed with all the extra information, I get all excited LOL

Ready to start handing out the knowledge already? Hope so cuz:

Question: I have mostly goldfish tanks, but I have a little 5 gallon with one platy. It's been just the one fish for the last few months. Originally we got a platy and a glass cat. (Store of course said it would be fine. But I started a thread and got advice from everyone and they explained how glass cats are sensitive and the two fish really are not good tank mates). Anyway, the glass cat died within a week or so, but the platy is just great. Anyway, I've heard different opinions on how many fish to put in, and whether it's okay to put in a variety or if they should all be the same.Recently a guy at one of the better pet stores said that for MY tank, if i continue to keep the nitrates below twenty) he thinks I could add another 3 fish.. I asked if platy's can go with guppies and his answer was that there were a large variety that could go together. There were some little guys with neon stripes but I forget. Tetras maybe? Anyway.

Now, on here, most people have suggested that I keep only platies, or only guppies or only the neon guys. Not a mixture.. What is your opinion?????

Hmm, as for the fish, your petstore guy is right, lots of fish go well with platys. They're peaceful, so any of the peaceful community fish would go well with them. I think the only reason to get more platys is they like to school and feel more comfortable when they can. But if they feel the need to school, I've seen 'em school with whatever is available, mine used to try their hardest to keep up with the balas. So then it just becomes personal preference really.

The problem is, with a five gallon, there's not as much water, so not as much room for error, so it becomes more difficult to keep an eye on those nitrates and other params. But it certainly can be done. Also, there's not as much swimming room. Sometimes plattys like to school, and sometimes they want to be alone, and if you have five of 'em in there, they can't get away, so they get stressed out and if your water quality slips you'll have some dead fish.

So since you have the five with a platty, you could put another platty and have two plattys OR a male guppy or two. Tetras are a little less hearty, but the most hearty of the tetras would probably be the neon tetras (if you exclude neon tetra disease). So you could probably get two or three of those guys and they'd get on good with your platty. With each of these options though, you'd be stocked, so keep an eye on your water.

Thanks!! :)

Although I don't know that much about it, I remember reading different suggestions from others giving me very similar advice to what you have just given me..

I really love the guppies.. They are gorgeous. I think whatever I decide to do, I am going to just add one fish at a time. I have another 5 gallon that I can get cycled and use as a QT tank for any new fish.. If I just get one at a time, I can get a better idea of how many fish the little tank can handle without becoming too much of a pain as far as water changes, etc.

I think I like the idea of keeping the platty, and getting one or two male guppies.. Ever since I saw pics of Chrissy's guppies, I just LOVE them. Knowing that they should be fine with the platty, I think that sounds like the best option for me...

How can you tell if they are male or female? Is it the same way as with the platties?? Are you able to distinguish the sex in all livebearers the same way?