Betta Bottom Siting ?

Sally2007

my male betta has been bottom sitting alot and sleeping his water is all good I do a 30% water changed everyweek and i do a 50% water change every 2 weeks hes been eating all of his food he doesnt look sick at all to me only a few days ago i found out tht his tail has been pulled on something and its been awhile that his tail looks ragged i tryed everything but it didnt seem to work so i added melafix and salt 4 days ago. is it safe to use prazi on a betta ? Anyone knows y hes been bottom sitting alot?

the best way for us to figure out what's going on with your betta would be for you to fill out the questions below. that way we have almost all of the info for a mod to help you diagnose your betta. maybe a current pic too? if you could get one. i recently had a betta that was bottom sitting for a few days and then all of the sudden he was COVERED in ich. so his behavior now could be leading up to something else more serious....i'll keep my fingers crossed for him!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,etc.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0 but it looks a lil green but not 0.25

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.6

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) api drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gallon running since feb or march 2008

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? duetto 50 power filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every week 30% every 2 weeks 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 male betta full grown

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? aqua plus

[*]Any medications added to the tank? melafix and salt

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? no

[*]What do you feed your fish? betta bio gold pellets and sometimes peas

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt", nope

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,etc. eating but staying at the bottom , sleeping most of the day

should I do a 50% water change or should I finish the melafix its suppose to be 7 days on wednesday?

HI Sally!

Sorry you haven't had a response. The moderators are either gone or super busy lately.. I'll try to help the best I can until one of them (or another member) shows up

Question, did the bottom sitting start before the melafix/salt was added?! Or after?

HI Sally!

Sorry you haven't had a response. The moderators are either gone or super busy lately.. I'll try to help the best I can until one of them (or another member) shows up

Question, did the bottom sitting start before the melafix/salt was added?! Or after?

Hey its ok i just dont know what to do if i should do a wc or not i know they say that when u put medication u should finish it for all the days. The bottom sitting started b4 i added the melafix and salt.

Okay what's confusing me is that you have ZERO nitrates. Normally when there are none that indicates a cycle crash, and you ARE seeing a slight bit of ammonia you say so that's possible.. And you changed the water a few days ago right? Do you know what the readings were before the change?

My betta bit his tail off two months ago. I let it heal with perfect water nothing else. Then he did it again 2 days ago (right after I posted that he was getting better). Everyone suggested salt/melafix and that is what you are doing. (I actually haven't added anything yet. Torn whether I want to just try perfect water again since it worked last time) I wish I could help more, but I am afraid we are in the same situation, except my betta is not behaving strangly. Just looks damaged..

However, in my opinion, a water change can't hurt... I've noticed a lot of meds say not to change the water while using them. I'm thinking of one in particular that said not to change the water for a week, but Trinket actually advised me to do daily 50% water changes, and redose the med. I don't think a water change will hurt you. I can't be sure though. I hope someone comes on that can be more help : ( Sorry about your betta.

Okay what's confusing me is that you have ZERO nitrates. Normally when there are none that indicates a cycle crash, and you ARE seeing a slight bit of ammonia you say so that's possible.. And you changed the water a few days ago right? Do you know what the readings were before the change?

My betta bit his tail off two months ago. I let it heal with perfect water nothing else. Then he did it again 2 days ago (right after I posted that he was getting better). Everyone suggested salt/melafix and that is what you are doing. (I actually haven't added anything yet. Torn whether I want to just try perfect water again since it worked last time) I wish I could help more, but I am afraid we are in the same situation, except my betta is not behaving strangly. Just looks damaged..

However, in my opinion, a water change can't hurt... I've noticed a lot of meds say not to change the water while using them. I'm thinking of one in particular that said not to change the water for a week, but Trinket actually advised me to do daily 50% water changes, and redose the med. I don't think water change will hurt you. I can't be sure though. I hope someone comes on that can be more help : ( Sorry about your betta.

Actually i dont think the aquarium has been cycled but then I dont know. Yes i changed the water on wednesday. I dont know what the readings were i didnt test it then. LoL thats was ur betta i was reading about him lol i think mines does the same thing but hes not stressed at all. i think hes in pain i mean hes always at the bottom EXCEPT when i go play with him. thanks for helping i really do appreciate it. so u think a 90% water change is good right now? I have over than 10 gallon temp water matched already set so i can do the wc should I still put some melafix in the water or just leave him with nothing ???

Actually i dont think the aquarium has been cycled but then I dont know. Yes i changed the water on wednesday. I dont know what the readings were i didnt test it then. LoL thats was ur betta i was reading about him lol i think mines does the same thing but hes not stressed at all. i think hes in pain i mean hes always at the bottom EXCEPT when i go play with him. thanks for helping i really do appreciate it. so u think a 90% water change is good right now? I have over than 10 gallon temp water matched already set so i can do the wc should I still put some melafix in the water or just leave him with nothing ???

Tricky tricky. I would hate to misadvice you....

If it's never fully cycled that could be your provblem right there... If you didn't test your water before the water change, it is quite possible that you had high ammonia, which would cause the bottom sitting. Then IF there is ammonia, and you added medication, that might have not have helpful. (I know melafix is one of the medicines that is generally safer though, but who knows)

I'll tell you what I would do. But I can't say for sure that it is what you SHOULD do... I would do a large water change and then do daily water testing... See how that cycle goes... Do daily water changes based on your daily test results, that will keep the ammonia and nitrite down.. If you can get your tank cycled, and make sure there is zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and the nitrates start to show up, then we can rule that out... And work on figuring out what the problem is. If it were ME, I would leave him without the melafix and salt.. But that's just me.... Others might suggest melafix and salt, so again, don't take my word as the only method...

Tricky tricky. I would hate to misadvice you....

If it's never fully cycled that could be your provblem right there... If you didn't test your water before the water change, it is quite possible that you had high ammonia, which would cause the bottom sitting. Then IF there is ammonia, and you added medication, that might have not have helpful. (I know melafix is one of the medicines that is generally safer though, but who knows)

I'll tell you what I would do. But I can't say for sure that it is what you SHOULD do... I would do a large water change and then do daily water testing... See how that cycle goes... Do daily water changes based on your daily test results, that will keep the ammonia and nitrite down.. If you can get your tank cycled, and make sure there is zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and the nitrates start to show up, then we can rule that out... And work on figuring out what the problem is. If it were ME, I would leave him without the melafix and salt.. But that's just me.... Others might suggest melafix and salt, so again, don't take my word as the only method...

I rather take ur word than anyone word becuase no one is helping me and i know u have betta's also. I have him for 3 yrs now and when my sis bough him he was fully grown i really dont knwo what to do and I cant afford to lose him. i had check the water b4 and there was always 0 ammonia so i think the tank is cycled but then there is no nitrate to back that up. ok so im gonna take ur advise and do the 90% water change and see what happends from here i just hope not treating him for the full 7 days are not bad :) Thanks sooo much for ur help

What temp is the tank at? He may need more heat . Sometimes a boost in heat will help. If it gets too cold they tend to get sluggish. how old is the betta and you mentioned red streaks on him . If so he may have an infection such as septecemia

What temp is the tank at? He may need more heat . Sometimes a boost in heat will help. If it gets too cold they tend to get sluggish. how old is the betta and you mentioned red streaks on him . If so he may have an infection such as septecemia

My tank is 82 to 84 F and any more than that will boil him lol....Yea hes about 3 yrs old nah I didnt mention any streeks on him my goldies had streeks but not him :)

My 3 1/2 year old was doing that and had even lost his appetite and some color. I started using bettafix and salt and he perked right up. His tail started growing back in. I adopted him from some college students and he had an odd looking tail at the time and I thought he was just a mixture tail type . But not only did he perk back up after the bettafix and salt but his tail grew back in. And yes that temp is fine

My 3 1/2 year old was doing that and had even lost his appetite and some color. I started using bettafix and salt and he perked right up. His tail started growing back in. I adopted him from some college students and he had an odd looking tail at the time and I thought he was just a mixture tail type . But not only did he perk back up after the bettafix and salt but his tail grew back in. And yes that temp is fine

how long did u use betta fix and salt for b4 the tail was growing back.

And i just wanted to also note that there is 0 ammonia in the tank i tested the water 3 times then i also tested my goldies aquarium that is well established to see the results soo yea im soo happy my betta tank is cycled i guess my eyes was playing tricks on me hehehe...

It is a slow process. I think it took about a month for his tail to grow back in. I had to permanently keep him on melafix and salt due to his age. I kept him perky and his tail grew back in really well.

It is a slow process. I think it took about a month for his tail to grow back in. I had to permanently keep him on melafix and salt due to his age. I kept him perky and his tail grew back in really well.

i heared if you use melafix for along time it can damage the fish. is that true? his tail is ragged but his tail didnt drop off so what do u think i should do? i will get pics soon.