Inveraray Jail,scotland

Blue

Well me and my dad traveled to Inveraray today to visit the old jail that is now a tourist attraction. So am gonna share my pics with you guys :D

first up the airing yards where prisoners got to spend 1 hour a day exercising. Thats the scary prison warder he made me jump creeping up on us :lol1

InverarayJail001.jpg

Warders office

InverarayJail025.jpg

jail matron showing how you wash your clothes in the Old Jail

InverarayJail004.jpg

View through jail window

InverarayJail015.jpg

handcuffs and leg irons

InverarayJail024.jpg

InverarayJail023.jpg

more pics to follow in a min

restraint jacket for violent offenders

InverarayJail022.jpg

male inmate i thought this guy was a dummy till i saw him move :lol1

InverarayJail020.jpg

courtroom

InverarayJail005.jpg

eww jail toilet

InverarayJail019.jpg

old jail uniform

InverarayJail028.jpg

still more to come folks

kids in jail

InverarayJail007.jpg

all these pics were taken in the new prison which was next door to old one

male inmate exercising in gallery he has pet rat with him :lol1

InverarayJail029.jpg

inmates bath they were only allowed bath once every two weeks :o

InverarayJail010.jpg

crank wheel used as punishment for people sentanced to hard labor

InverarayJail021.jpg

kept best pics till last :lol1 they coming up

Ok heres where you guys get a laugh :P

young male offenders up to age of 16 could be given a whipping as punishment under 14 they could get up to 12 strokes of birch over 14 they could get up to 36 and it was on bare butt to :o

InverarayJail014.jpg

an heres the funny pic me testdriving the equipment my dad put me up to it :lol1

Book in background is record of all boys who received a whipping as punishment.

InverarayJail013.jpg

me having a snooze in a jail cell :lol1

InverarayJail027.jpg

hope you enjoy this bit of scottish history :)

Edited by Blue

Very cool! So whipping was ok...as long as you were young enough.... :unsure:

I'm going to Alcatraz next week during my trip to California, I'm excited about it. (My friend didn't even know what it was!). I'm not a huge history buff but seeing places like that remind you of how far things have come...even though I know today's prisons are far from nice!

chrissy the whipping was given insted of jail time so you just ended up with a sore butt and sent home :)

I'm going to Alcatraz next week during my trip to California, I'm excited about it. (My friend didn't even know what it was!). I'm not a huge history buff but seeing places like that remind you of how far things have come...even though I know today's prisons are far from nice!

I don't know Chrissy ,that hammock bed with a poofy cushion looks pretty comfy. :rofl ...Alcatraz will be SCARY!!...I hope you have fun !!

I don't know Chrissy ,that hammock bed with a poofy cushion looks pretty comfy. :rofl ...Alcatraz will be SCARY!!...I hope you have fun !!

It was comfy hi-d :lol1

hope you have great time at alcatraz chrissy dont forget pics :D

Edited by Blue

some of them but the guy outside airing yards the matron an the male inmate is human rest are wax people some look scarily real

theres a online guided tour of the place you can find it here

http://www.inverarayjail.co.uk/

few more pics :)

this one shows how small the restroom in the jail was

InverarayJail006.jpg

a prisoner being transported to the jail

InverarayJail030-1.jpg

prison cow which supplied all milk for prisoners oatmeal

InverarayJail009.jpg

female inmate with child inmate was only allowed keep baby till it was a year old then it would go to inmates family or place in poor house till woman was released.

InverarayJail002.jpg

Its way laws were in Scotland at the time men women children insane jailed. one of cases mentioned at the jail is off a 10 year old boy who stole 12 pounds of cheese from a store he was sentanced to 20 days in inveraray jail on april 17th 1851. from 1854 children who commited petty crime would get short jail sentance then put in a reformatory for 3 to 5 years or from 1866 to an industrial school for 3 to 5 years.

Kids here dont go to jail these days they are placed in a secure unit and once they turn 16 are placed in a young offenders institution ( jail for 16 to 21 year olds)

Edited by Blue

prison cow which supplied all milk for prisoners oatmeal

InverarayJail009.jpg

female inmate with child inmate was only allowed keep baby till it was a year old then it would go to inmates family or place in poor house till woman was released.

InverarayJail002.jpg

It's nice that you kept the lactation themes photos together. :P

Very cool virtual tour. Thanks for sharing. :)

:rofl I never noticed Daniel but your right I just realised what I did :rofl Edited by Blue

A little scary. It looks so sad and tight a place to be a prisoner. Makes me realise how we take our freedom for granted.

Fantastic pics tho Frazer, they were an interesting learning tour for me :)

Well, although I dream of a trip to Scotland, I think I'll not visit the prisons! lol! I too, am part Scottish. I am a Burns, descendant of Graham. The Burns tartan is white, brown and black and the Graham tartan is blue and green.

Anyway, great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Lynda Von G

The pictures are great!! That place looks interesting to visit, but the dummies kinda gave it a cheesy feel! I would have liked it better without them. Just creepy old jail and silence.... ooooooooh.

OOOOH Alcatraz! I wanna go!!! Then again I like anything old/abandoned.. (When I was little my grandmom lived in this really really crummy town and I would make my dad drive slow so I could see the ruined homes. He was like "we can't stop here! We'll get SHOT!" oops..

I've been watching this show on prison life, Lock Up. It's soooo strange to see how daily prison life is, and how scary the older prisons are!! It's a good show. It gets repetitive, especially if you watch a bunch in a row like I did.. But it's REALLY interesting.

I agree, I'm not really into history, but I am interested when it comes to going to older buildings.. Old forts, ghost towns, old prisons, abandoned hospitals. All of this is fun.Actually I was talking about this on another thread today with Amy...

Again, I stress this is why I have no friends.. Let's see. HOBBIES -Goldfish, abandoned buildings and country music.. LMAO

I know what you mean countrylovah about the dummys but supose it only way they can depict life back then as I couldnt see kids spending day in a cold damp cell bare foot. As you could feel the damp in the two jails. Glad I wasnt born in those times specially with fact they could whip boys bare butts for something as trivial as taking an apple of someones tree without permision.

They only ceased whipping boys in Scotland in 1948 so it hasnt been abolished for that long. Amazing what I learnt yesterday surprised myself really then I learn better from visual and verbal learning anyway. :)

It's so strange to hear some of the different practices.. I can't imagine that! Guess you'd have to be PRETTY hungry to steal that apple!!! lol

I agree, I learn better that way too.. Right now I am addicted to the Traveler IQ Challenge on facebook. I don't think I've even looked at a map since high school. I was always great at memorizing but the info didn't stick.. I used to cram for tests in History or Geography, get an A, then it went straight back out of my brain. (Finals were always a pain for that reason.Math & Science I was better at.. I actually LEARNED that. Again I was more interested in it). Anyway, when I first started the game I could barely get the United States stuff correct. And now I am learning where all these countries I've never heard of are! And it's because it's in a game format..