Love You Butters R.i.p

I bought butters my little red cap as a baby. He was so tiny and had no wen to speak of- just some light coloration. He was my first goldfish and I kept him in a bowl for about a week before I started researching goldfish care. I bought him a 3 gallon eclipse and some ornaments and he had a lot of space. I loved him so much- he was my little buddy. I would practice my speeches with him and do my homework at the foot of my bed while he stared at me. It didnt take me long to realize that he was lonely and needed a friend in his tank. I went to the fish store and after 5 minutes was the proud owner of a beautiful baby black moor and a new 10 gallon tank. I was worried about him though, he wasnt acting right at the pet store- I was hoping i could nurse him back to health. When I put him in his new tank, butters the oranda noticed he wasn't doing well. (I now know I should have never put a sick fish in my populated tank.) Butters took a real liking to him- I would wake up and they were side by side asleep. Token wasnt eating one day and Butters my smart little man actually grabbed some flake, went to him underneath, and spit up food for him to eat. He kept doing this until his "child" ate. He was such a smart fish!

It broke my heart when token passed away. I couldnt imagine what kind of pain butters went through. He loved token. It was my fault- I bought butters a sick fish- Ive never forgiven myself for that.

Butters lived on and I decided to get him a baby pleco not as a friend but because I had algae problems on my rocks. That decidion cost butters his life. The pleco was heavily diseased and died soon after purchase. I left on a one day vacation the morning of the plecos death. When I got back, butters had Ich all over and half a tail.

I medicated him, but it was just too late. Im sorry buddy, I love you and ill never forget you!

I wanted to have so much fun with butters as he grew. When he got bigger I would bring him to goldfish shows and I would get him a female oranda so we could have some baby orandas. I was always hoping that he would be my best friend for years to come. I blame the pleco and myself for not quarantining him.

Mustloveoranda- R.I.P Butters

You can think of this as a painful learning experience. Now you can do more reading and learn about the proper tank size for goldfish (ten gallons per fancy), about the proper quarantine procedure, about the growth of fish (common plecos get huge) and about the proper tank mates (plecos are usually not great tank mates for goldies as they can suck off their body slime and kill them).

Because you care you will learn so much more and when you are ready for a new friend in your ten gallon, you will be an amazing fish keeper.

RIP little Butters.

I'm soo sorry that you lost Butters. You must feel so sad right now, and I can see that you are blaming yourself. Like Amy said, it's a sad hard lesson to learn, but you loved Butters soooo much and now you have more information.. I hope you hang around this board, and keep learning and that in time you can get a new fish. I understand how you feel. I lost my goldies my bringing in sick fish without quarentining them, and I lost them ALL... I felt so mad at myself and disappointed. But I joined this board, and read and learned and now i have 5 new goldies that are (knock on wood) doing really well. I still miss my others, but having new ones and seeing them healthy takes away the pain a lot.. RIP Butters. :rip:

RIP Butters...that is such a beautiful story to a well learned lesson...I am sure you will be a very good fish keeper...and very successful with your future Oranda...and you will find just the right one...Of course you will always remember Butters...but he ll be very happy up there to see that you would take very good care of your future fish..Cheer up...I wish you good luck...

rip.gif Butters....the awesome lil baby oranda...Swim free...