Score For The Goldfish Community! Snagged A Family Member Right Into Keeping!

Woooh, so while away on vacation, for about two months(I misssss my babiesss! :krazy: ) my mother has been caring for my goldfish. I was talking with her over the phone this morning, asking how my babes were...And she has the routine down to a T! She was going, "Athena looked a bit bloated, so they didn't get food yesterday...But this morning I gave them peas, and tomorrow I'm thinking brine." I was ecstatic. Normally she won't give my tanks a second look but to say, "oh they're doing well." or "now that's a pretty setup Kelly". BUT! She was talking about them something like, but not as dramatically of course, as I would. Explaining to me about how she likes their personalities and the way they beg for food and how beautiful they are. Well I brought up the subject of how Deuce is kind of lonely in his tank, and how I'm thinking of taking him out of the 20, getting rid of the nightstand by my bed, and just putting another 40 gallon there. She loved the idea! My eyes kind of bugged out because about three months ago I brought up the subject of putting a large tank in there and she was leery, talking about how I've got too much water in there already(pshhh, it's well kept water). Then I was talking about how maybe she could pick out the fish and maybe we'd setup the 20 gallon in her scrapbook room, which she spends a lot of time in. She LOVED that idea too!

She really likes animals, but didn't give thought to my goldies. So I'm thinking I've got her hooked now and maybe she'll be doing water changes soon enough...Though I've got the feeling that'll still be my job for a while. ;) Not that I mind that or anything.

Also we have a spare room in our house that just needs to be cleared out of gym equipment - which no one uses...anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

:fishtank::fishtank::fishtank::fishtank::fishtank:

Edited by Earth!Mother

that's so exciting! now if only i find a way to go away for 2 months and get my mom to take care of my fishy for me.... :P you're very lucky ...this opens a door to so many opportunities for more fish/tanks etc...... all because now you wont have your mom's resistance! i hope you (and your mom :D ) have lots of fun with your fishy-to-be!!

It is so funny how the bug catches. When I was in high school I had a 75 gallon saltwater set up. I would have probably looked down on goldfish then with all of my exotic saltwaters. But when I went to college I had to sell the fish and my parents took the tank to their new house and set it up with fantail goldfish. They didn't really know what they were doing and I only saw the fish once before some sort of pollen got in the tank and the beautiful goldies went to fish heaven, but I always remembered how pretty they were. So now I've been "infected" as Erinaceus said (of course, that has a whole new meaning because I rented "I Am Legend" last night). Now if I could only get that 75 gallon back from years ago...

Cool! Now see? All it takes is getting a person to give fish a chance and they can't help but see, one, how cute their personalities are and, two, how truly difficult it is to take care of them. It gives a sense of pride and self-worth to know that you are doing intelligent, helpful things with and for the fish. You may be doing your mom's 20 gallon for a while, but bet is she takes it over soon enough, seeing as it is HERS! And, don't go too crazy with that spare room! lol!

what woulderful story, congrat's to you its great you've got a parent who is willing to help you out on getting a new tank set up,

but i belive its because she has seen how well you have looked after your fish to date. then relising how much fun fish can really be, then over the 2 month's she's come to see how fish have a charater

yep your mums got the bug lol

It's great that your mother's caught the goldie bug :D . I myself was 'infected' my girlfriend a short while back :exactly:) .

And now he is even planning when we 'convert' the barn to make sure we have a fishroom :D

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Hehe thats soo cool! My dad likes fish but not the work putting into them, but he REALLY loves my Oranda and he even bought a baby 'oranda' for me for my birthday even though it turned out its a fantail. He washes his hands and carresses my babies (They let you) and I have a spare ten and he talked to my mom about maybe setting it up in the living room with one big, beautiful Oranda ofcourse she said no but were working on it.. He woke up to drive me to two fish stores and spent 30 dollars in medicine and high quality food because he wants them to get better so "The cheap stuff wont help them get better," as he says and he babytalks them too.

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

Hehe thats soo cool! My dad likes fish but not the work putting into them, but he REALLY loves my Oranda and he even bought a baby 'oranda' for me for my birthday even though it turned out its a fantail. He washes his hands and carresses my babies (They let you) and I have a spare ten and he talked to my mom about maybe setting it up in the living room with one big, beautiful Oranda ofcourse she said no but were working on it.. He woke up to drive me to two fish stores and spent 30 dollars in medicine and high quality food because he wants them to get better so "The cheap stuff wont help them get better," as he says and he babytalks them too.

Definitely! You have a very special dad! Make sure you let him know that and how much you appreciate him.

Awwww, my dad talks like that to our pets too! He's more of an animal lover than my mom, but I couldn't see him taking on more responsibility than he already has with one of our puppies. My mother doesn't baby talk anything. D: She's more of that quiet admirer, but this is going to be sooooo great when i get home! It might take a while for me to finally get a tank setup in her scrapbook room with fish and all. School starts in about two weeks. ]: But rest assured kokos members, I will be all over documenting the process with pictures! ;)

If only I can get my friends into it. >.< My bestfriend is all like, "OMG IS IT PEA DAY IN THE TANKS?!" when she comes over...For some reason she always loves feeding them peas. And she also liked hand feeding my snails when I had them. o.o