Bernie Mac Dies At Age 50

I saw it this morning too, couldn't believe it. We had just watched Mr. 3000 again last week. So sad. He had pnumonia for a while though, didn't he? Like they said on the news, Heaven is a little funnier now.

What bothers me the most is that pneumonia is cureable if caught in time. He was in the hospital for weeks - so it was not the "24" hours killer type.....so why could they not heal him? Was there something else wrong?

Pneumonia used to be a terrifying death sentence 100 years ago. It should not be, today. I know antibiotics have been grossly abused and inappropriately used rendering most ineffective - but certainly they have SOMETHING .....

Wow. In my opinion that is akin to saying he died of a cold. Just not right.

I was shocked and saddened that he died so young. Apparently he did have a previous lung condition. I read his obituary on the BBC news website, and they said the following:

"The comedian had a history of ill health and suffered from the inflammatory lung disease sarcoidosis.

He contracted pneumonia for the first time in 2004 while filming Ocean's Twelve.

Mac later told his home newspaper The Chicago Sun-Times that the disease, which had nearly killed him, had acted as a wake-up call.

"My life was slipping away. I was missing out on so much stuff with my family, and I will never do that again," he said."

The whole article was at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7551477.stm

What bothers me the most is that pneumonia is cureable if caught in time. He was in the hospital for weeks - so it was not the "24" hours killer type.....so why could they not heal him? Was there something else wrong?

Pneumonia used to be a terrifying death sentence 100 years ago. It should not be, today. I know antibiotics have been grossly abused and inappropriately used rendering most ineffective - but certainly they have SOMETHING .....

Wow. In my opinion that is akin to saying he died of a cold. Just not right.

Yeah I agree. How can a 50 year old otherwise seemingly healthy man who has the financial means for the best hospital care die from pneumonia in 2008 AD??? :blink:

The invention of the antibiotics drastically increased the average life expacancy of the human species(their pets too! :D ). There must be something more to this that we don't know about yet.

:rip: bro.