Need Some Help

Guest julieann75

Guest julieann75

I had posted a couple of weeks ago when our fish surprised us with our first batch of fry. We have them in a tank and are cleaning out the bottom and doing the partial water changes as well as checking the PH levels daily. We started out with 74 and as of Wednesday they will be 3 weeks old. Here's the thing...all of a sudden we are starting to loose some of the fry. The ones that are dying on average seem to be the ones that are much smaller than the others or they seem to have had something wrong with them (ie extremely bent backs). Someone suggested to us that this is an unfortunate reality they referred to as "natural selection", but I wanted some other opinions to make sure. Also we seem to have a few unaccounted for. Granted its hard to try to keep count when they are all over the tank, but still it seems like the overall number shrunk. Do the larger ones pick on the smaller ones and could that be what is happening to the smaller ones? I've never seen them attack each other at all, they usually stay grouped together in groups of 5 or 6, but then again during the week we are at work so I can't say for certain what goes on during that time. There is no filter set up yet because we heard to wait until they are at least a month old and frankly I'm still concerned that some may get pulled into the filter. We've follwed the suggestions about water changes and checking the PH levels etc. The most they have had to deal with is a broken up algae wafer that created a mess in their tank while we were at work but it didn't seem to bother them since they were all over the larger clumps it. I think they loved it. From our best count we found 14 in the last week that didn't make it, and we seem to have a few missing, but the rest are swimming all over and looking quite healthy. Some are beginning to get more color to them and others still appear mostly white, but considering our calico (the mom) is white with orange and red and one of the fish with the breeding stars is all white I'm not terribly concerned about that right now. Any thoughts?

yes there are die off periods ...it is mother natures way you will lose sick looking fish and healthy looking ones as for coloring ,some certain colours show early while others don't ..that I would not worry about at all I wil find a link that Daryl has helped me and gave me lots of info on fry

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...ic=68418&hl=

post # 2 Daryl explains die off periods as yours are happening at 3 ..I would think these # 's are a loose time frame

It is hard for us humans to except, but that is nature's way. That is why a fish lays a thousand eggs, just so that 10 will survive to adulthood. When humans intervene, many more can be saved than would live in nature, but there will still be large numbers that will not make it.

Edited by PHYLAL

Indeed.

There are periods when quite a few die off. Its more likely if you can rule out

- Left over food starting going fungusy

- Not too vigorous a water change (that day or before)

- PH / Ammonia / Nitr(a|i)tes within acceptable parameters

- Not being attacked by larger ones (even if they don't eat them, I've seen ones die from shock/force of being attacked)

The periods I've noticed when they die off are usually

- When the tail goes inbetween from a pad to a proper tail [on some of mine, it has appeared like a point at the end]

- When they get the large belly (like they are going to explode)

- When they get too 1/2 to 1 inch (where organs weren't developed enough to handle size of fish)

For me these vary on time depending on how many you have/size of tank, as that will heavily impact all three stages.

Edited by fry