11 Black Mollie Fry

vols

I have a 10 galloon tank with mother and father and now 11 black mollies. I knew she looked pretty fat when they brought her home Friday a week ago. I guess Thursday night is when they were born. I have a female betta in the tank which was getting along just fine with the parents. When I found the 6 fry yesterday, I thought 2 were missing (eaten) by betta so I put her back into her bowl. She never eats large items. I have to crush the flake food and soak the pellets (which she really doesn't eat well) and break the blood worms in half. She isn't really aggressive! I need to know if I can move her back to the tank and when? There are a lot of hiding places (obvisously since I never even saw 5 of them). Gravel, large glass rocks, silk, and plastic plants with a 4 holed rocked that is really bettas. She sleeps in it and hangs out there. I also have a long air stone (with low pump) across bottom that they all swim around at times. I don't believe that the parents are eating them and in fact, I think they are pretty protective of them. Any suggestions? Also, what do they eat? Do they grow fast? Will my tank handle this many fish or for how long before I take the fry and give them to the local store?

Thank you and I know there are many questions. I have been reading and reading ALL of the entries here but I am just getting more confused because many are about different fish and I think that Black Mollies are different from others and then I have the non-agressive, female betta on top of it. Please help me!

Both your betta and the adult mollies may be eating the fry. It is good that there are a lot of hiding places for them. If possible, it is best to have a corner away from the filter with dense bunches of fine leaved plants (either real or fake) that the fry can get in and out of...but the larger fish cannot. It may be that the fry are hiding in the bettas cave and seeing this, she is eating them as food or just to defend her territory. You can try putting her back in the tank and watch, but it may not work out till the fry are a few weeks old.

The fry will eat bits of algae off plants and tank decor, along with small bits of whatever food the adults are eating. If your fry are at the top of the tank they will likely take floating food. But if they are hanging out towards the bottom, they will need something that sinks down to their level. I do not alter the food fed to my livebearer tank for the fry, and they manage quite well. I feed hikari micro pellets, and omega one shrimp pellets. By about two weeks old most of my fry can manage the micro pellets in a couple of bites, and they both float on the surface and sink slowly so it feeds everyone no matter where they are hanging out.

Sometime between two and three months of age the fry should be big enough to take to the store. When they are close to half the size of the adults and you can start to see the difference between the males and females they are big enough to go to the store.

With careful monitoring of the water parameters you can probably keep all the fry in the 10 gal untill they are big enough to go to the store. At most you would be able to keep two of the fry to full grown...however, you will constantly be getting new batches of fry so that may not be a good idea unless you really get attached to a particular one, as it would overstock the tank with each new group of fry.

Thank you sooooo much for answering. I had it set up to send me emails to let me know if anyone was and it never sent anything. I just checked and found yours and I greatly appreciate it! Their are now just 8 or 9 left BUT the parents did not eat the others. I found 2 at bottom of tank. I am just loving on my betta in a separate LARGE bowl that she grew up in and put some of her favorite things in it for her. She is fine and I plan on buying another tank. I am getting crazy on this stuff but I love it! I have a 30 gallon tank with 3 goldfish in it that my son brought home for my birthday last December and ever since then it is just getting to be a crazy hobby. I love them all! I went to the fish store and they can't take the fry until they are larger so I am just going to let them take over that 10 gallon until larger and then give them away. The only problem I see is these parents are going to continue so I am not going to be able to do anything else with them. I may have to give away one of them also and get one of the same sex. Do mollies fight? Male and male or vica versa? Who knows I may just let them keep it going. Any suggestions???

I have a 55 gallon tank full of silver lyretail, creamsicle lyretail, dalmation lyretail, black, and gold fleck mollies... they make babies like NOBODY'S business... i have a batch of 3 month old fry... probably 2 month old... and some that were just recently born. (i think in between there, the babies made for snacks)...

anyway... i figure... i don't try to save any babies, i don't move anyone anywhere...

they'll eventually reach an equilibrium. that's how all of nature's systems work.

when the tank starts to get pretty full of adolescents and adults... you'll realize fewer of your babies make it.

if you try to save them all though, you'll soon find that you're going to be overstocked.

Thank you! Sounds like you have an AWESOME tank! One day! :D I know this sounds like a really dumb question but I didn't witness the birth so are the fry born as a fish or in a sack of little worm looking things? Obvisously, I have found a sack of worm looking things in my tank and need to know what this is and if they are harmful. Now that I have the fry I am scared to syphon the bottom of the tank and suck one up in the tube. How do you do water changes with the little fry running around?

One more question, please. Would my non-agressive, female betta be OK to try in the goldfish tank?

They are born as tiny fish with a complete set of tiny fins to match. :D

I have a 25 gal tank in the kitchen which currently holds all of my livebearers. I have mollies, platties, and a single guppie female thats sterile in there. I get fry anywhere from once a week to once a month, on a sort of cycle as the various adults give birth. When the tank starts to get filled up...a group of the adolescent (usually male) fish get sent to the store. For some reason I have more males that survive than females, and more platties than mollies. But the platties are larger at birth and that may give them an advantage to not getting eaten.

Enjoy your fry and the stronger, faster, smarter ones will survive. With only one adult female in your tank right now you should be able to place these fry before you get overcrowded with more. And females get along with females with no males. I am pretty sure the same is true in male only, but have never had that setup personally. One option if you want to go all female, is to keep one of your fry that turns up female and send the father to the store with the rest of the fry, that way you dont spend more money on buying a female...and its cool to have adult fish in your tanks that you can say were born in your tanks.

Thanks Liz! That is great! I actually have the mother and father black mollies. I had to move my female betta to her original home because my nerves couldn't handle it! I may just do this with the father molly because I really would like to have other kinds of fish. Thinking hard! Thanks again for your response and help!!

Dealing with worms now but being helped by a couple of others. I think they are harmless (praying they are feeding fry and not hurting them). Going to clean really good with baster, but I watched those suckers come out of the sack. I should have gotten them then but I didn't know if this wasn't more fry. Ding Dong. Oh well, I am learning and loving!!