Cycle Bump

After my pea soup episode and having to change and clean episode last week...I was expecting some sort of cycle crash or bump.

Levels

amm .5

nitrites .25

nitrates between 60-80 the red color is in between on my test kit

ph the same as it always is 7.4

7 goldfish, 50 gall tank (I know....got a 20 gallon getting set)

Emperor 400, In tank filter, and fluval 305 canister filter

I figured after the overgrown creature incident and reading about amount of water filtered per hour I had better get more gallons per hour and installed the canister last weekend.

Do I just go back to the beginning with everyday water changes until my ammonia and nitrites are gone? Why is the nitrates so high if I have ammonia and nitrites?

And yes I am doing a big water change as we speak 75 %....NOW WHAT?

I would just fast the fish for a day or two to get you through a small bump like this :) Plus some water changes. With the extra filter, it won't take long to bounce back. Keep checking.

Are the fish okay- nothing unusual ?

They were kinda hanging out on the bottom....which made me figure something was up. I had been giving them medigold this week since I notice white poop after the pea soup infestation. Today was there last dose.

So water changes daily :heart and fast for a couple days?

They were kinda hanging out on the bottom....which made me figure something was up. I had been giving them medigold this week since I notice white poop after the pea soup infestation. Today was there last dose.

Rather a question (for a moderator if any is nearby) than a comment: is it safe to use medigold when you have non-zero ammonia and nitrites?

Rather a question (for a moderator if any is nearby) than a comment: is it safe to use medigold when you have non-zero ammonia and nitrites?

that would be interesting to know because I have.... :hummm hmmm....

what if one of the fishies still has white poo?

White poo is a sign of internal bacterial infection, so I'd say it's not gone yet.....

White poo is a sign of internal bacterial infection, so I'd say it's not gone yet.....

Although Lynda is completely right on this in general (as far as I know), our goldies sometimes have white stringy poo without any other effects, and only for a single 'pooping'. It's possible that they have a chronic infection, we usually have the impression that they just had an 'upset stomach' (surprisingly, sometimes, goldfish can and do overeat themselves).

I'd rather you noted Lynda's comment more than mine, but I just thought it would be noteworthy to mention it.

Although Lynda is completely right on this in general (as far as I know), our goldies sometimes have white stringy poo without any other effects, and only for a single 'pooping'. It's possible that they have a chronic infection, we usually have the impression that they just had an 'upset stomach' (surprisingly, sometimes, goldfish can and do overeat themselves).

I'd rather you noted Lynda's comment more than mine, but I just thought it would be noteworthy to mention it.

That's absolutely true! If the white poop is a one-time thing, it's not really a worry, just a little tummy ache, but if it's still regular all the time, then there's still probably infection.

So it is not gone yet...should I still keep giving them the medigold or should I abstain from feeding for a few days???????? :krazy:

I know... I am nuts! But I am not doing anything before I get the go ahead!! :rolleyes:

So, give us a recap on where you're at currently. Water readings, of course. What meds, salt, etc. are in the tank, if any. What you've been feeding the last week or so. And, unless the white poop is the only unusual sign, what other symptoms are being exhibited.

Well this morning my levels

amm .25

nitrite 0

nitrates 40

Did about 10% water change

This evening

amm .25

nitrite 0

Nitrates maybe 30...its somewhere between the 20 & 40 on the color chart

Well Esteban...my poor little guy I mean girl???? Always hangs out behind the filter near the top of the tank. He is my upside down floaty guy sometimes. When I tell him no upside down swimming he turns over a goes about his merry way. But he has pretty much been like that for several months. This is thin white poop...then now it seems the color of the medigold.

Normally i feed the fish 1-2 peas in the morning and a few progold pellets at night. I may give them a little brine shrimp, salad supreme, or spirula pellets from goldfishconnection. But if I give them one of those plus the pellets I try and regulate so that they don't get too much.

I started salting the tank yesterday because of the nitrites so at .2 now

other than that...nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty tame compared to the pea soup incident.

Hi newbie!! I feel like all day I've been saying "well I am not entirely sure but Trinket told me that...." or something along the lines of it..

So here it goes again! Trinket told me that higher nitrates can cause a fish to flip and/or be floaty... I see that you had nitrates that were between 60-80. And now they are getting lower... Maybe you could try one larger water change. Maybe 50% and then take the readings again? Assuming your tap water has no nitrates, that should bring them down to about 15, and maybe will help??

Trinket said some fish are sensitive and even a small amount of nitrate can cause the flip. Maybe this helps? : )

We went through the whole esteban issue a couple months back...pretty sure he/she has SBD. I know when my nitrates get higher than the fish like it...they act different. I did a 75-80% change yesterday and 10% today. I will be up tomorrow morning early with a 50%.

Mostly I was worried about the white poop. And with the cycle bump about fasting or contuing the medigold.

Yes when the nitrates get into the higher range my other fish have shown flippy flops, upside down swimming and with 90% water change they are just fine.

Esteban however is always the same. The peas seem to help a lot, but with antibiotics no peas. :( They love peas!

It seems everything I do....anything I do....she is still the same.

Thank you though!

This morning

amm .25

nitrites .25

nitrates 40

doing a 50% water change

still white poo hanging out in the water. unsure if it is from just one fish or not

Looks like you had a bump in your cycle, but it's coming back pretty quickly. Keep up with the water changes; at least 50%. Keep those nitrites and nitrates low. You might consider some nitrifying bacteria to speed up the recycle.

It's interesting to hear that your fish has the brown poop when you feed the MMs, but white at other times. What are you feeding when it's white?

I have been feeding them the exact same thing for the past week. Just medigold.

But with the infestation of the fish tank I thought he might have caught a bug or something. Actually I am surprised that all of them survived let alone didn't get sick somehow! I was so scared when I walked into an entire tank pea green in texture and color!

If all I got was a cycle bump..yippee! But the very thin white poop worries me? And yes it is weird....!

I want to feed them peas! Do you think I can? Or should I wait for the cycle to kick back in?

Good morning. It is Tuesday.

amm .25

nitirites 0

nitrates 15

Is this how this is supposed to work? Why is there ammonia? Shouldn't I be getting different numbers, I am confused. Why is there amm but no nitrites? Why are the nitrates lower?

Ok....quick question here. I have an API drops test kit. It has happened a few times...but when I test sometimes there are two different colors in the test tube...a color ring at the bottom and then the rest of the tube just looks washed out, but clearly a color on the card.

If I go by the color ring my amm is 0 (yes!) if I go by the washed out color it is .25 (boo)

Which is it?

nitrites 0

nitrates 40

salt .3%

What is up with the color ring? Is my testing kit bad? I have had it for 6 months...who knows how long it was on the shelf before, but it shouldn't go bad that quick should it?

I've had my API test for three years and it's still fine.

The weird colors you're getting are likely due to light refracting inside the tube... glass, cylinders, and water can make things look strange. Have you tried getting better lighting in which to view it? Put the tube against a white background and shine a light directly at it. I usually hold it up to the window (natural sunlight). Sometimes you have to hold it a little off of the card to see it accurately.

Hope that helps.

Agreed. It's the light refraction that makes the color at the bottom look deeper. The glass is bending there, turning from vertical to horizontal, so it's going to change how the color looks. You go by the color in the entire tube itself, not by the "ring" at the bottom.

If you're getting ammonia readings with nitrates, it means that your cycle had a bump or a crash. So, it means that you're going to need to do daily testing and water changes to keep the ammonia, and subsequently, nitrites down until you can get the tank cycled again. It shouldn't take nearly as long to recycle as the original first cycle took.

Ok! So I am keeping the nitrites down, have .25 amm, and nitrates. Just keep doing water changes until it goes away? Will an ammonia removing rock bag mess with the cycle? should I take it out until the bump has been ground into nothing!

Thanks guys for the info on the light, I thought I was going nuts!

Edited by newbiefishgirl