Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR72

Mixed Breeds

Guest JR72

Just wondering is there any chance if I have a male comet and a female fancy, could they mate?

They are very very close, and getting towards 4" long.

Thanks!

Guest Shiari

Of course they can mate! They should produce some very interesting hybrids.

Guest JR72

thanks very much. I reckon so to. They are getting to that age, so maybe time to start watching a bit more closely.

they might be able to mate, what kind of fancy is that female? if it was the male that was the fancy, it would be too slow to chase the female comet and mate. If they do successully mate by good luck, you may see lots of hybrids, for example comets with two tails and the body shape of any other comet! or fat fantails without a fantail :rofl and anything in between such as a single tail but the lower half is doubled. I own two fish like that. I bought em cause there special. they have the body shape more of a shubunkin than calcio fantail too

Guest JR72

awesome,

I reckon they might because seriuosly they swim side by side all day.

I have never seen two GF like it. They feed together, graise together, its so funny to watch. The Fancy is red an white and about 4 and abit inches tip to tail end. Im thinking without being sure its the male.

After reading a bit about sexing them, i see the comet which is plain goldy colour(average colour) has a 1-2ml outtie anus(if thats right)

haha sounds funny.

So if im right its the female and has started to put on alittle weight. No where near as HUGE as the fancy. The fancy(Fatboy) is double the width and fatness of the comet, so if its going to happen he? might have to swim alittle quicker.

Thanks for the advice :P

if the fancy is so fat, maybe the fancy is the one thats the female. is it a fantail or a rykuin? does it have any hump? any wen? how long have u had those fish

Guest JR72

Also guys I have another 10gl tank with 2 other comets in it. They have had their illnesses lately but are on the recovery.

Just wondered after reading it somewhere that if they are maybe male and female, would nipping and pushing be a sign of breeding?

sorry for the silly q's but I havent looked into breeding much yet. Been to busy trying to heal them. Which I finally think has happened.

I know its probably a sign that the fish are ill, thats what the FS said, but one of these two seems very aggressive, doing the nipping, only to the front fins (male maybe cant tell yet)

and the other that was sicker, but also plumper and bigger,has a few small lumps on the tummy, (but no sign of inny or outtie) The lumps have me beat. This fish was very very ill but after lots of TLC is nearly back to normal. FS said maybe it has liver or kidney damage, I thought maybe something else is in there? long shot I know.

Any ideas?

Guest JR72

the fancy is a fantail, but is also a pig when it comes to feeding, it feeds from my hand! I cant tell if it is or isnt, with all that tail there its hard to see anything :) . Ive had the fish about 6 months. when i got them for my daughter they were about 2" long, now 4.5". so age is really unknown unless you could tell me. :)

thats a nice tank. 5 in a 29 isnt bad, theres 12 in mine! 2.5 inches growth on a fantail is alot in just 6 months, wow lucky! my fish arent growing that fast

Guest JR72

thats what i thought, not to mention his/her waiste line hahhaha. Ill do some reading on the breeding boards but was wondering if I tell if its female? I cant really tell.