Anyone Ever Heard Of This Kind Before?

liz_okerson

various names have been given to the demekin goldfish aka telescope fish. Some fish with exaggerated eyes are called dragon eyes, button eyes, telescope eye, black moor, doughnut eye etc but they are really called demekins. It is my opinion that that this vendor likes to add colorful names to their fish. What matter is if you like him, then you like him regardless of his name

I have one older book - a rather odd one - that has a listing of the different shapes of the protrusions on the Demekins - most of the names listed by spider man. I think that to some, those names were important at one time.

A "doughnut eye" demekin - as described by my book - has the enlarged portion around the eye in the shape of more of a doughnut. There are elongated "stalks" for the eyes, rounded ones, etc.

No matter what - I think the advice above is excellent. If you like the fish - great! :)

Yup, that's what I was going to say. There is just a very predominant ring around the eyes that gives it the look of a doughnut and so the breeder/seller just gave it that name. People like to make up names for fish. Sometimes we have to because we do have a new breed of fish that needs a name, but then sometimes it's just because people don't know the real name for the fish. I do think that a more "romantic" name could be found however! Like, just translate doughnut to Japanese. Donattsu. That's a MUCH better goldfish name, yeah?

Regardless, as already said, it all just comes down to whether you like the fish.

Lynda, I was thinking the same thing. Why try to "spruce" up a fish by naming it after an unhealthy (but yummy) snack food? It doesn't make the fish any prettier (though it is a pretty one)...it just makes me hungry :rofl

Lynda, I was thinking the same thing. Why try to "spruce" up a fish by naming it after an unhealthy (but yummy) snack food? It doesn't make the fish any prettier (though it is a pretty one)...it just makes me hungry :rofl

Krispy Kreme anyone?

:rofl3:tomuch::rofl:tomuch: