Gold Fish Floating

2 gold fish

1 is a reg fantail and 1 has the wen on its head I think oranda

20 gallon tank

aqua clear 70 filter

air stone

temp is 76-77

lid opened and fan blowing on the tank water due to high heat if no fan lid close tank temp gets to 81-82

water is a few inches from the top

food sinking pellets omgea one small

Prime water treatment

weekly water changes at least 40% or more

Since we have moved here the water temp has been higher then our last place I moved about 10 mins away so the water source is the same. There is ammonia in the tap water. Im out of test kits right now and have some on order.

My gold fish seem to be at the top alot more since we moved. I dont think its anything wrong they swim around as soon as someone gets close to the tank, they eat fine, no fin damage, no red marks or white marks. I have seen a swim bladder problem and this doesnt look like it. The air stone is one of those small ones and the air pump came with one of those small world filters things from penn plex,

I thought I read somewhere that if they float at the top and nothing seems wrong other wise then they need more oxygen in the tank could that air pump and air stone not be enought? is the water temp still too hight at 76-77 I can bring it down to 73 but I have to wait til payday to get another fan my hubby has to has his and thats the one that works the best on the tank.

Right now they are at the top but as soon as I walk over there they head to the bottom and become more livly if that makes sense even if I turn the light on in the room they tried to hide from it.

Well, we can't say for sure until we get your water readings, but assuming they come out fine, yes, it sounds like it's just a problem with heat and lowered oxygen levels. Your temp is a bit high, not that outrageous though, and your filter gph is a bit on the low side. The bubbler will help. Lowering the water level so that you get a harder waterfall off your filter will create more bubbles also. If you have worse problems, crossed fingers hoping not!, you'll want to post questions in Disease Diagnosis/ Treatments.

Edited by Lynda Von G

A moderator will get on here with some great advice, but until then I do think a testing kit is especially important right now so I'm glad you have one coming. Even though it was only a short move it is possible that the move caused a cycle crash.

I think you're right. 300 gph should be more than sufficient for a 20 gallon tank. Personally, I only run 350 gph on my 30 gallon. One thing, how big are your goldfish? As Lynda recommended, I agree that lowering the water level may help with increasing oxygen in the tank. My tank is running at about 80F lately and I have done this and it (so far) has worked.

You mention you have an airstone, I'm curious, is this an airstone that shoots bubbles straight up to the surface? Or is this more of a wand that is long and goes across the tank. If it's a regular airstone, you might want to invest in a tube/ wand for increased oxygen in the tank.

Also, when do you expect to get your test kit? To be on the safe side with this situation, I would recommend to increase your water changes to maybe twice per week. Since you don't know the parameters, I think this would be the best bet (although your set up sounds good!), since most problems are related to water quality. :)

Edited by Desiree

the air stone is just a blue one that you get a nnnnnn not wand or long thing its all i had on hand at the moment that will run with the small air pump. well crude just sat and watch the one with the wen on its head swim around and he looks like his swim bladder is out of wack i can post a video here in a min

How is the gph too low its an aqua clear 70 does 300 gph on a 20 gallon tank? ist the gph on goldfish supposed to be 100x so on a 20 gallon tank would be 200 gph and I have 300 gph so 100 more then required?

I'm sorry. I apologize. I misread. Somehow I got it in my head it was a 70 gph. Duh. I wish filter manufacturers would get together and come up with a universal system for numbering, i.e., that the number represents the actual gph.

for some reason I cant get the video to upload

Don't feel bad! I still haven't figured out how to get the video OUT of my camera!

Well, maybe getting the water test readings will help....

Edited by Lynda Von G

thats ok I was stressing that I was wrong about the gph.

the video wont upload to photobucket it gets to 50% and stops Ill try again in a little bit

there a pics of showing size and air stone

Like I said, I have no idea about such things, but maybe, seeing as it stops halfway, maybe the file is too large? Could that be a possibility? I don't know... first thing that came to my puny technical mind...

Lynda, you should be able to transfer the video from your memory card to your computer, then delete it from your card if you have a digital camera. I think thats how I got mine off.

And angelchelle, I have a wand that runs off of a small air pump. You can run a few things off of them if you use the connectors with the air tubes.

Well I ran to the store to see if they had any other air stones they didnt, when I get home hubby filled the tank back up and added fungus clear tank buddies from jungle labs cause it said swim bladder on the box geez and he said that there looked like some red streaks in the fins. He tries to help but goodness told him not to touch anything, should I leave it in the tank for the 4 days or do a water change now? I have to do water changes at night because my python doesnt reach to my sink I have to connect it to the water hose outside and to do that I have to go through the window sinces its hotter then heck out I have to wait til its dark to do so.

I still cant get the video uploaded its the computer its slower then slow on uploads.

Awwwh, sounds like he means well. :) Honestly, since you don't have your water parameters I would recommend doing a large water change to remove the medication in the water. Mixing medication with ammonia and nitrates can be toxic for your fish. However, if you are confident your water parameters are good (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate >40) then I think you'd be okay. Personally, I would go for the water change though. Better safe than sorry.