Golfish Begging

goldone

Mine have been trained to know that when the light goes on, it's time to eat. Then they gather at feeding central and just get all crazy excited! But, if I put my finger in the water, they'll nibble all over it!

Yep, mine can make ALL sorts of smackin' sounds! My Common will even splash me!! ESPECIALLY if it is one of the occasions where I skip feeding them in the morning & wait til after I return home that evening.......you would think they were on the brink of starvation!!!

Yep, mine can make ALL sorts of smackin' sounds! My Common will even splash me!! ESPECIALLY if it is one of the occasions where I skip feeding them in the morning & wait til after I return home that evening.......you would think they were on the brink of starvation!!!

I thought mine was the only one that did that. It doesn't have to be feeding time, I'll just be sitting there and he splashes to get attention.

I thought mine was the only one that did that. It doesn't have to be feeding time, I'll just be sitting there and he splashes to get attention.

awesome....thts so cool...such an intelligent fish....

Yeah, Moby and Florence do that. I've had them splash water all over my glasses and actually try to eat the little cup I soak their food in! You'd think they never eat at all!

So far only one of my fish seems to get real crazy for food.. That's Malibu. She's a finger nibbler like Quasi's fish. And she will splash like crazy when the food comes..You can hear it being lapped up and it sounds SOOOO loud. She also tries her best to suck up the decorative stones. She doesn't even come close, but she nudges them around the tank and makes a loud sound.. Kahlua came THIS close to nibbling my finger today. I think she(he?) is getting braver.

Angel is my little shy girl.. She pays very little attention to food, but she is very alert when it comes to looking at me.. Most of the fish seem more interested in eating. She will totally swim and move to get me to look at HER, but when it's feeding time she is calm about it.. She's used to have a hard time finding food, but she is getting the hang of it.. But even still, she eats (ALOT) but is very slow and calm about it. Not at ALL a typical goldfish.. If you feed her, and talk to her at the same time, she won't even bother with the food. She just swims at looks at you..

Wait where did I get the Quasi thing??? I know her fish does that, and I swore she wrote that in this thread but I don't see it anywhere?? Making i am just remembering it from another thread lol Either way.

She's a finger nibbler like Quasi's fish.

Wait where did I get the Quasi thing??? I know her fish does that, and I swore she wrote that in this thread but I don't see it anywhere?? Making i am just remembering it from another thread lol Either way.

It was ME silly!

Edited by Lynda Von G

It was ME silly!

Yeah I figured that out! (just smack me lol)

I was like "ohhhhh Lynda".. LMAO Quasi's does too! I swear it.. Quasi????

:teehee:teehee:teehee

I think Quasi's probably still in beddy-bye....

Elvis does that. He has for years. I can hear him from across the room. Food time or not, I will hear popping noises from his tank all day. He recently starting the dolphin act. Shooting up and coming halfway out of the water looking just like a dolphin. :)

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

My fancies follow my hand whenever I get near them looking for food, they all swim in a school and swim to the top! My comets dont really care, once they see food they go up and eat.

my common Wizz'et started doing it at the start of the year, saying she's about 8 years old now its takin her long enough to lern how to do it lol.

but she's always been a food begger, so i think its just some other way of her getting my attention.

guess you can teach an old fish new tricks lol.

Mine have been trained to know that when the light goes on, it's time to eat. Then they gather at feeding central and just get all crazy excited! But, if I put my finger in the water, they'll nibble all over it!

I do have to modify my post. I guess I just really hadn't paid attention until last night when it was time to feed everyone. That light came on and ol' Blue gave me about 30 seconds to get the food in there and when I didn't, from the kitchen I heard the distinct sound of chomping at the water surface. So, although Blue doesn't do it just anytime to get my attention, he does do it when he knows it's time to be fed!

Edited by Lynda Von G

• 3 years later...
Yep, mine can make ALL sorts of smackin' sounds!??My Common will even splash me!!??ESPECIALLY if it is one of the occasions where I skip feeding them in the morning & wait til after I return home that evening.......you would think they were on the brink of starvation!!!

Our golfish are all "common" goldfish girls..Our oldest, Big Gold Fish Girl is 7, she is the loudest smack noise maker, and the biggest splasher (no problem dousing us if we stand too close and have no food, or social interaction ready.The middle girl, Silver Girl is 4, she is not very streamlined and might be the result of the store breeding what ever unsold adults they had, causing inbreeding. She is as subdued as she is beautiful and very very smart.Our youngest is 3, we got her as a fry hence her name Baby Fishy, she has turned into the most beautiful pure orange gold fish, who is very feisty and stood her own to Big Gold Fish Girl the minute she was big enough to join the other 2. She is now as big as Silver Girl. I just had to interrupt the post to break a WWF Fish style skirmish between the 2. The first time it ever happened in our presence. They usually get along well and look unhappy if one of them has to be in the hospital tank. All tanks are always within sight of each other. Leaving the computer screen on after the lights are off and the tank cover on is a no-no for Baby who bangs the plastic cover placed on the surface the glass lid does not reach.Using a portable electronic device with the screen facing away from the tank does not cause any reaction. Thank You fellow Kokos Goldfish forum members for helping taking care of our girls.

Edited by goldone

Ha! It's neat to hear about all the Commons and Comets!! Our oldest is a Comet, probably about 7 now, if not older. She is very adept at hucking water out over the tank rim at me. The big Common does the same. Since they live in the kitchen, next to the sink, come to the side of the tank to find out what I'm doing, and let me know that they're there, and they need to be fed. It's quite purposeful. They get a little wound up in the afternoon too, because they know they can talk me into hanging some citrus, which right now means an entire quarter of an orange off our tree....which they eat flush to the rind in about an hour!

My two large girls also Spray water out at me! Grace with her mouth and Ingrid splashes with her tail. Yesterday that did that and managed to spray my little brother who was sitting like 2 feet away lol.