How Long Do These Fish Live?

Guest katie.P

aah, cool, so which 1 of these two would you say is good for begginers to go in a 10 gallon tank?
Fantails.....they are easier for a first timer :D
One reason is that Moors will need more guard tank...cause of there eyes :D

Yup, fantails are definitely the easiest of the fancies because they have the most "normal" body shape and no specialized eyes. Any gf that has unusual eyes is going to be more difficult because there is the worry that they will get the eye(s) caught on something and damaged or completely ripped off as well as the fact that they can't see as well and may not get enough food. The more unusual the gf, i.e., eyes or body shape, the more difficult it will be to take care of.

Edited by Lynda Von G

I agree, so far I have had poor luck with telescopes, then again I was having poor luck with all of my fish til I found this board.. So far my little black moor is doing okay and I hope to have better luck with her. But to make things easier for you and have a better chance of success I agree with everyone else and say fantail!!!!!!

Guest katie.P

i will only be getting 1 fancy because i have read that these need a minimum of 10 gallons and have been advised to get 1 :)

Edited by katie.P

good job kathie, just getting one fish for the ten gallon tank. A black moor will do fine so long as you keep the water conditions good and ensure that there are no sharp objects in the tank. What black moors like in vision they make up with smell. I have never had a problem with them with the exception that they can change color from black to more orange over time, still they are great fish

i agree a fantail would be easier to keep. im also a beginner, and i have a black moor in a 10 gallon. you have to be careful about what ornaments/fake plants you buy for the tank if you do because some can be a danger and cause damage to their eyes. also, when feeding, you have to watch them carefully to make sure they have eaten enough, since they take awhile to find the food you may have put in the tank 10 minutes ago :rolleyes: . it is for that reason that i put a small bright yellow plate in the tank during feeding time and put the food on the plate, so once my moor finally notices the food, he notices ALL of it instead of just one pellet , then goes off and takes another 10 minutes looking for another. also if your food gets lost in the gravel and the moor never finds it, thats more guck for you to clean up from under the gravel later! it is true that some moors have better sight than others, but i am just speaking from my own personal experience.

my friend also has a 10 gallon but a fantail occupies it. her tank is filled with random fake plants that i would never even consider putting in with my moor. also, when feeding, she just drops the food in and doesn't worry much about it. easy enough!

from my own experience, i would have to conclude that black moors call for a lot more attention than fantails. :exactly