Lionhead

Franky

Some lines of wenned fish do not, normally, develop much oaf a wen before two years of age (about 4 inches in body size). It may be that you simply have to give it time.

Fish that have the genetic copacity to develop a nice wen can have the development encouraged by feeding them good protien. I lke to feed my young Lionhead/Ranchu frozen bloodworms everyday.

If a fish does not have the genetic makeup to develop a wen or a good wen, no amount of protien or time, though, will make it happen.

:)

Some lines of wenned fish do not, normally, develop much oaf a wen before two years of age (about 4 inches in body size). It may be that you simply have to give it time.

Fish that have the genetic copacity to develop a nice wen can have the development encouraged by feeding them good protien. I lke to feed my young Lionhead/Ranchu frozen bloodworms everyday.

If a fish does not have the genetic makeup to develop a wen or a good wen, no amount of protien or time, though, will make it happen.

I too want to encourage wen growth in my oranda and lionhead. My lionhead is still little; only about 2". My oranda is about 3" and I thought he should have plenty of wen growth by now, so I just figured he was one that would never get it, and maybe he is, but I guess now I can still hold out some hope!

My question is, if you need to feed bloodworms every day to encourage wen growth but also need to feed a variety of foods, both protein and veggies, how do you manage to feed bloodworms every day when you're only supposed to feed once a day? Is it really okay to feed twice a day? Do you just cut down the amount fed each time so that what gets fed totals the same amount that would normally be fed once a day?

I too want to encourage wen growth in my oranda and lionhead. My lionhead is still little; only about 2". My oranda is about 3" and I thought he should have plenty of wen growth by now, so I just figured he was one that would never get it, and maybe he is, but I guess now I can still hold out some hope!

My question is, if you need to feed bloodworms every day to encourage wen growth but also need to feed a variety of foods, both protein and veggies, how do you manage to feed bloodworms every day when you're only supposed to feed once a day? Is it really okay to feed twice a day? Do you just cut down the amount fed each time so that what gets fed totals the same amount that would normally be fed once a day?

You are right..you can do two small feedings..one with bloodworms...the other with veggies in small proportion..I do that..Also, I have heard Hikari Lionhead pellets help a lot..I have started that for my oranda and lionhead...but those have 53% protein so I am worried...a goldfish should not have more than 40% protein, is what I ahve read somewhere..btw Is that TRUE????

If you look at HNLim's oranda, that he has up on a thread 'Any Hope?'....tht guy really had a good wen growth in just 10 days...Mr. Lim said he uses the baby koi pellets...Am not sure if tht would work..I myself am striving...

Frankly speaking, I don't think my lionhead will grow any wen..Although he has folds of skin there...but I think its a poor breed of 'Lionchu'...although..he is just 1 inch or a bit more, so maybe too early...

Like humans, fish should be offered several very small meals per day. This will jump start the metabolism and our bodies work better. For example with the lionhead, feeding him three blood worms in the morning, a couple of quality of pellets in day, a pea or two in the evening, and then a couple of blood worms before bed is the best way to assure that the fish gets all of its nutrients. Like Daryl stated, genetics plays a large role as well as sunlight, very clean water, low stocking levels of fish, depth of the tank, all factor into its development. It is better to have the wen grow throughout the life of the fish rather then try and force growth on it. Think about a body builder who uses steroids, he/she will create very fast and large muscle growth in a short period of time, however they cannot sustain this type of musculature for very long and often wind up with health problems later in life vs the natural body builder who eats well and puts on muscle naturally. This applies to fish as well

just a quick question...will a fish develop breeding stars before theyre two? i have an oranda with little to no wen but he's got breeding stars. i'm guessing he's just got no wen in his genes and will always be wen-less but i can always hope right? :P

breeding stars are tubercles that males develop on their gills while breeding..or showing breeding signs...Also this is one way to know your fish is a male for sure.. :) ..ChrissyBee has a very good picture of her goldfish with breeding stars..many ppl mistake breeding stars for ich and start treating the fish..but its very important to know the difference between the two... :)

thanx i knew they got little white spots but i didnt actually knew the name. i feel so silly! :rolleyes:

oh and thanks for helping me all of you!hopefully my fish grows a wen. sigh! where do you get Hikari Lionhead pellets? at pet*smart? or strickly online?

Edited by Franky

hehehe..nah nothing silly abt it..

I found Hikari Lionhead pellets at a local mom and pop store...but Pet Co carries it too..you could try Pets Mart as well..they are readily available... :) ..good luck with the wen growing.. :)

hehehe..nah nothing silly abt it..

I found Hikari Lionhead pellets at a local mom and pop store...but Pet Co carries it too..you could try Pets Mart as well..they are readily available... :) ..good luck with the wen growing.. :)

I actually JUST got back from Pets Smart. It's a brand new BIG store and they didn't have Hikari lionhead pellets.... wah! But, they had canned fish eggs! I'm excited to try feeding that tonight! mmmm.... :feedme

oh no worries at all...and I found out Pets Mart has Hikari Lionhead food online...I am very positive they have it in store as well... you ll surely find it... :) ..take care...

Oh and Franky I really love the tank decor in your avatar...cool looking tank there...

I actually JUST got back from Pets Smart. It's a brand new BIG store and they didn't have Hikari lionhead pellets.... wah! But, they had canned fish eggs! I'm excited to try feeding that tonight! mmmm.... :feedme

Oops...hmm... :( ..Franky..try looking...they could actually get it for you..since its available at Pets mart online...

but fish eggs??...awesome...your fish are gonna love it Lynda..totally...

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! I am soooo p-o'd! So, I go to open the can of fish eggs; it's like a small can of cat food with the pull back tab, you know?, but it has a plastic lid over it because it's supposed to be refrigerated after it's opened. So, I take off the plastic lid and, ugh!, some brain dead beanhead had opened the can, but pushed the lid back down like they didn't, and that stuff was soooo rotten and STUNK to high heaven! Ugh! Now I have to go back tomorrow and exchange it! Man some people! grrrrrr.... :madrant:pan:veryangry::wa

Oh! But, I did see JP Calderon from the Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency! He was with his partner and a new dog that they had adopted from the shelter and they were buying the store out of all the stuff one needs for a new doggie! And that's my brush with stardom in LA-LA land!

Oh! But, I did see JP Calderon from the Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency! He was with his partner and a new dog that they had adopted from the shelter and they were buying the store out of all the stuff one needs for a new doggie! And that's my brush with stardom in LA-LA land!

The perks of living in LA huh, Lynda! :)

Yes! He, definitely, IS A-list material! NOT! lol! :tomuch: But, he is cute and one of those guys you say, "dang! it's too bad he's gay!"

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! I am soooo p-o'd! So, I go to open the can of fish eggs; it's like a small can of cat food with the pull back tab, you know?, but it has a plastic lid over it because it's supposed to be refrigerated after it's opened. So, I take off the plastic lid and, ugh!, some brain dead beanhead had opened the can, but pushed the lid back down like they didn't, and that stuff was soooo rotten and STUNK to high heaven! Ugh! Now I have to go back tomorrow and exchange it! Man some people! grrrrrr.... :madrant:pan:veryangry::wa

Okaaaaayyyyy..... so I took back the stinky brown slime. I had no idea what to expect as to how these fish eggs were going to look. Based on the liquidness of the bad can, I figured they'd be regular eggs in liquid. Nope. So, I open the can and it's a tan/off white color. Yet another indication of how bad that other can was. No liquid, kind of semi-dry. It looks just like slightly damp clusters of sawdust. But, they are moist when you touch them and do separate into individual eggs when slightly rolled between your fingers. They are the size of tobiko, or flying fish eggs. The tiny ones. Needless to say, my fishies LOVED them! Seachem Nutri-diet Fish Eggs. Expiration date says good for one year if refrigerated. At $7/can, it's cheaper than caviar! lol!

Edited by Lynda Von G