Sterilizing Moss Balls?

lantern567

They seem like little sponges, and I would hate to soak them in something that I would be unable to rinse and remove. Perhaps bleach would be better than potassium permanganate? Then at least I could soak in water with a dechlorinator. Thoughts anyone?

No adverse affects on the fish from PP leaching into the tank water? That's what I was worried about - not being able to rinse it all out of that little sponge.

Must be "moss ball" season. My local pet store had them, too, and I've never seen them anywhere before. They were cuter than cute, so I had to have one! :)

I know just how you feel. I rinsed mine thoroughly and let them sit in dechlorinated water for 24 hours after the second pp dip. I think after rinsing and sitting the level of pp if any should be safe.

I think hydrogen peroxide "reverses" potassium permanganate. If you are concerned, you could soak them in some water with peroxide added overnight after the PP soak.

They're just another plant that can go in the water. I'm going to see how they grow. They seem to have the plant tied up into a little ball, making it round.

Interesting about the hydrogen peroxide neutralizing the potassium permanganate, Acupunk.

I had the same question. Darryl told me I didn't need to worry about the PP, so I didn't. She said to squeeze out the excess and just drop it in. Since PP is also used as a fish medication for flukes and what not, the tiny bit that did get in the tank would be so diluted it wasn't a concern. If you want, rinse it in removed tank water first, then drop it in. I did what she said and Elvis loves his new toy.

They're just another plant that can go in the water. I'm going to see how they grow. They seem to have the plant tied up into a little ball, making it round.

Interesting about the hydrogen peroxide neutralizing the potassium permanganate, Acupunk.

That's what I thought; that they tied up moss into a ball, but no, it really grows like that. I had one for a while. It didn't float like some I've seen, it stayed sunken on the bottom. Now, I don't have any specialized plant grow lights nor do i fertilize, so maybe that was why, but my moss ball eventually disintegrated and fell apart into pieces. It was fun while it lasted, but at $20 a pop, I had my fun. I don't think I'll do another moss ball.

That's what I thought; that they tied up moss into a ball, but no, it really grows like that. I had one for a while. It didn't float like some I've seen, it stayed sunken on the bottom. Now, I don't have any specialized plant grow lights nor do i fertilize, so maybe that was why, but my moss ball eventually disintegrated and fell apart into pieces. It was fun while it lasted, but at $20 a pop, I had my fun. I don't think I'll do another moss ball.

$20? wow I only pd $5 at where the pets go.