Quality Of This Fish?

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I am considering bidding on this little guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-5-Lemon-Head-Panda-O...86.c0.m14.l1318

But I am also thinking does it appear he is atleast decent quality? I don't want to waste my money..

EDIT:

Also, do you guys think that these little guys are going to change color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Pair-Snow-Wht-Lionhe...86.c0.m14.l1318

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

Nowhere do I see a size given - is that 4-5 inches TOTAL or BODY?. For a $20. Oranda, that one is not bad. I fully expect that all the black will be gone within 6 months - and you will have an orange/white fish - mostly white.

I doubt that those Lionhead will change color. They should remain white (or yellowish depending on sunlight and food). They do seem to have suspiciously large wens for such little fish. That sort of conformation always alerts me...... Tiny fish with large wens can be head sitters or "danglers' as they swim. It also makes me question their age - the wens are heavily developed for such a small fish. Does this mean that the fish is actually quite a bit older than it's size would lead you to believe? If that is so, how much more will the fish develop/grow? (The backs are not so great, either) For $10@ fish, though, you may get a fish that pleases. It depends on what you are looking for.

JMO

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Eeek thank you, I already have an Orange and white Oranda and I'm looking for something different now.

I don't understand, what is a head sitter? Like swim bladder disease?

They've been bread for form, not function :P

People have bred fish to have certain traits, like huge wens, when it's not exactly what nature intended. Often it's not a problem, but sometimes things go too far and you get issues. The same goes for fish with very compacted bodies, that's why many fancy goldies develop swim bladder problems, their organs don't have room to grow due to their body shape.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Aww! Thats no good! I guess all you can do is provide them with good homes.. Its not like theyre going to be like re born normally.

For these prices, they are going to be average lfs quality fish, which are fine by me. I'm not looking for show quality fish. Oh sure, that would be nice to have a really beautiful fish, but I can't afford those fish and the average lfs fish is beautiful enough for me.

Another thing to worry about in getting a fish with a big wen right off the bat is that it's going to grow over the eyes more quickly. So, you are either going to need to deal with a blind or semi-blind fish or find a vet who will be willing to cut back the wen. The wen should be in proportion to the size of the fish. So, considering that the panda will likely lose its black and wen is rather large and the lemon/whites won't lose their color and their wen is smaller, I'd go with the lemon/whites IF you are prepared to take two and if you do choose to bid.

I do want to give advice for bidding if you do choose to bid. Don't bid now. Bidding early just artificially drives up the price. And it's going to drive the price up past your ceiling. Also, when people start bidding too seriously, it becomes about beating the other person and just winning, and not about the item you're bidding for anymore. You need to watch and wait. Let others determine your bidding. And don't bid out of emotions and the need to feel like you need to "beat out the other person." You need to watch to get an idea of how many different people are bidding and how regularly they bid to get an idea of how willing they are to win regardless of the price. If there is a lot of action by others and they're driving up the price beyond what you can afford, walk away. Don't find a reason to justify bidding beyond your limits. If, by the end of the bidding, say less than half an hour to go; I prefer to wait until about 5-10 minutes before the bidding ends, and the price is still in your range, enter your highest bid and wait. Remain calm. This is strategy and it's the best way to either save your money or get what you want without entering into an aggressive bidding war.

the others are correct about big wens in very small fish, this can be an indication that the fish may have been exposed to steroids. I am especially concerned with the oranda. If you look closely you will see a fish with a very long body and and very large wen. Does this fish have the mass to carry such a wen. I would not purchase such a fish. The white lionheads would be a better choice. As far as show quality, you determine what that means to you. If you have a fish that you think is beautiful, who are we to challenge you on it. The fish may not win any trophy's but it is beautiful to you. Lastly, I never buy a fish that I cannot see swim. See if the vendor can send you a video of the fish. Good luck

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Im not looking for show quality fish by anymeans, just beauties for my living room that most likely wont change color. I don't know, I don't want a fish thats just going to sit on the bottom? Fish steroids? Never heard of that one. Thanks for all the advice Lynda and Spider man haha :D

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

Thanks for all the advice Lynda and Spider man haha :D

And Chrissy and Daryl and Alain.

this is a bit off topic..but did anyone read this?

Sorry no return on live fish, however fish are guaranteed live and healthy. Any DOA claims must be made within 2 hours of arrival via email with photo proof of the dead Fish with chopped off tail fin. If a Fish should not arrive alive, it will be replaced or a credit issued toward your next purchase, less the cost of the shipping. Payment must be received within 5 day after the auction ends.

is the chopped off tail really necessary? how come a picture of the dead fish isn't sufficient? i would be horrified if i received a dead/dying fish, and i had to chop it's tail off just to prove it has died :unsure:

I see a lot of places have that requirement. I guess it's the sure way to tell it is indeed dead and not just anesthetized. They probably had too many people claiming the fish arrived dead when in fact they were just fine.

Guest christinemariep

Although I understand why, I was disgusted at the tail chopping too! That's creepy--but I can see that the seller is trying to avoid getting ripped off.

Guest christinemariep

I forgot to mention, since I was distracted by the tail chopping, that those lionheads are so adorable. What sweet, chubby l'il faces.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Hehe yup! I don't know if im going to go through with it though after reading this.. lmfao.and yes, thanks Lynda for correcting me thank you everyone

Well, you still have 12 hours to think about it!