Supervised Visitation

I got up this morning and looked in my tank to see all 3 goldies on one side of the divider, 0 on the other!!

I've had my new fish Penny seperated because I was afraid that my demekin George would be agressive with her as he was with my last new fish. Apparently, I topped the water up too much yesterday and Penny somehow got over the divider. The good news is, George is paying NO attention to her. All three of them are getting along perfectly :blink:

I'm going to leave them together today while I'm home, but I'm going out of town on Monday for 9 days and I think I'll put her back to the divided side again just to be safe. I dont' know though, if everything looks ok should I just remove the divider? (I'd LOVE to). When George was agressive with Tony it was obvious from the start, he constantly harassed him. He truely doesn't seem to care about Penny at all, not even during feeding time.

If there is a way that a fish can cross the divider, I would be more concerned about that! I have seen fish stuck (and squished) in between dividers and glass in a tank - they are so determined to get to the other side (go figure - algae is always greener?) that they squish themselves in - something shifts and that is their end.

If you truly think she went OVER - and that you can control it with proper water level, then you have no worries.

I would watch them this week. Breeding behaviour calms considerably mid-summer. None of my fish will look sideways at another right now. They are all too busy stuffing their faces and growing large for next year's spawnings....

If htere is nothing, I would guess that you are going to be ok.

(And then there are fish like my Kermit to seem to take a perverse pleasure in dismantling any other fish they can! :rolleyes: I hope your George is not like my Kermit!)

If there is a way that a fish can cross the divider, I would be more concerned about that! I have seen fish stuck (and squished) in between dividers and glass in a tank - they are so determined to get to the other side (go figure - algae is always greener?) that they squish themselves in - something shifts and that is their end.

That was my first concern Daryl, but I looked close at Penny and there's not so much as a missing scale. When I looked there is enough of a gap over the dividier for a very determined little fish to squeeze over, I think it may have shifted a bit during the cleaning yesterday becaue the gap wasn't that big before.

Doesn't George have a little bit of a criminal record though Chrissy

:exactly Thus, the divider. His current tank mate lost an eye a long time ago, but I never did see what happened. I knew they were a bit agressive during feeding so figured it happened then. THe last little fish I put in however, there was very very obvious chasing and agression by George.

Everything is still very peaceful over there (I'm literally watching them out of the corner of my eye right now), I was really scared giving them food this morning because I thought that would set George off. He's actually still chasing Fred a little (as usual), taking no notice of Penny. I'm still very very nervous though, I think I'll put Penny back this afternoon and lower the water.

edit...if anything, Penny is chasing Fred over there! He just kind of wiggles off as if to say "please little girl, leave me alone"

Good news :nana

I took the divider out yesterday and literally sat in front of the tank for 2 hours watching. It's the weirdest thing, Fred has stars, he must be a boy (right?) yet George AND Penney (who I'm fairly certain is a female) will only chase him. Penny sneaks up behind him and pokes him in the bum or side, and George does full out breeding type behavior. Luckily Fred really doesn't seem to care. But the best part is, George truely pays NO attention to Penny. I even took videos to playback and watch their behavior :rolleyes: At most he'll kind of look at her and swim over to her, but then he gets more interested in a rock and goes over to that. I seperated them again for the night, to be safe, but they're together again now and everything seems fantastic.