New Research On Molly Behavior

Male Fish Deceive Rivals About Their Top Mate Choice

ScienceDaily (Aug. 1, 2008) ? When competitors are around, male Atlantic mollies try to hide their top mate choice, reveals a new study published online... (for complete story, click here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80731135914.htm)

Well, I thought it was interesting at least. :)

It said that a male molly (A) would pick its mate from a group of females (A), but when another male molly (B) would come around, he would actually pretend to like a different female (B) to make the intruder think this other female was his first choice, and when the new male (B) would try for this second female (B), the original male (A) would swim off with his first choice (A).

It appears these male mollys are actually trying to trick each other. It shows fish may be capable of "higher" thought than some people give them credit for.

hmm interesting. so what happens when they're in an aquarium where there are constantly competitor males?

they'll never get a chance to "swim off" with their first choice female. :hmm

Aquarium soap opera? That's a good point tho. I think the study used wild mollys. I wonder what would happen if they repeated the study w/ fish kept in an aquarium and observed them over time.

Lots of interesting articles there. :) I think dominant males can segregate favourite females, in a type of bullying behaviour they chase their preferred female until she stays in a hiding place. At least I've witnessed that behaviour. When the favourite female comes out of hiding both the dominant male and other males will chase her, it's hard for her to even eat in peace.