Gravel, Rock Or Gravel And Rocks?

Guest katie.P

• Admin

I agree. goldfish are just messy fish, so much easier to take care of them and there needs with a tank that is barebottom or very little rocks in it....I had tanks with gravel, or just river rocks and I can tell you since I made my tanks to barebottom I dont have anything to complain about now :D

I just make sure the filters and water changes are kept up and the rest is easy :D

or a barebottom with just a few white/blue gravel decorative gems scattered...so cool...keeps the fish engaged cos they constantly look for food around them and so much easy to clean.. :) ..

I have barebottom and I love it! There are some glass beads and "U" shaped glass pieces and they love moving them around. It is so much easier to clean and no place for nasties to hide.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I have sand right now that I plan on taking out and making it barebottom with some marbles scattered. I think this looks the nicest. Tanks especially look nice if you base the decoration on a color scheme. Mine atm doesnt have one though.

Hw do u keep plants anchored bare bottom?

Or you can glue plastic plants to river rocks with aquarium safe silicone. Just be sure to let it completely cure (7-10 days or so).

Gravel is difficult to maintain is can be dangerous for your fish if you don't know what you're doing and are very careful. It is best advised to go with a barebottom with a few large river rocks.

where can you get this glue? i havent seen any shops that sell it

You can also get it from some home improvement stores. But, you MUST look for silicone that very clearly identifies that it's for aquariums and/or aquarium safe. It will not be in small writing. If you can't see that it says it's safe for aquariums, it isn't.

There are many different brands, but they will all clearly identify that they are for aquariums. Here is what they will/should look like:

mmm Aquarium Silicone

Dow Corning Aquarium Silicone

UK Aquarium Silicone

Edited by Lynda Von G

Also, there is something new I found at a few pet stores.. Fake Plants with SUCTION cups at the bottom already in place!!! I bought some and they are AWESOME!!!!!! Those suckers hold WELL, I can't even pull them off the bottom at times. There are also fake plants that have these little bases, so they sink to the bottom. Some of them you can buy the plant, then switch the bases. They are really cool!! Re-arrange and everything..

my betta tank has just 1/4th inch of natural colored round gravel...and I have a plant which has a lil heavy rock attached to it...so it just stays on the bottom without any need for gravel to hold it...

Sue, cool finding..plant with a sucker...

Also, there is something new I found at a few pet stores.. Fake Plants with SUCTION cups at the bottom already in place!!! I bought some and they are AWESOME!!!!!! Those suckers hold WELL, I can't even pull them off the bottom at times. There are also fake plants that have these little bases, so they sink to the bottom. Some of them you can buy the plant, then switch the bases. They are really cool!! Re-arrange and everything..

Sue-sue! Where'd you get the sucker plants?

Wallyworld has aquarium sealant in the hardware department that is much cheaper than the ones at the lfs or online. I have used it many times and it works very well, just follow the directions. I use plants with those bases, and I also took 2 votive cups, filled them with marbles and a plant and used sealant. Its not hard, but I also would like to know where Sue found the plants with suction cups! That would be so much easier!!

Spill your guts, Sue!! :D

LMAO Actually I believe it was actually at Pets Mart!!!! So far I haven't seen any REALLY tall ones. Just smaller or medium sized ones.. I am almost postive that's where, and if not the only other option was Pet Co. Obviously I had to spell the names funny to get them to show up but you know what I mean..

• 2 weeks later...

I thought gravel was good for your tank, to grow good bacteria on? Is that not correct? Curious why gravel is bad because I'm about to move to a larger tank. I was planning on putting the gravel from the old tank into the new one to keep/move the good bacteria to the new tank.

I thought gravel was good for your tank, to grow good bacteria on? Is that not correct? Curious why gravel is bad because I'm about to move to a larger tank. I was planning on putting the gravel from the old tank into the new one to keep/move the good bacteria to the new tank.

The most bacteria are in the filter normally. To much gravel can trap waste and grow nasty bacteria, that is why most people keep their tank bare bottom as that is easier to keep clean.

Edited by Quasi