Ugh! Pond Fishie Rant..

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Even though I don't love my wishing well fish (Commons) as much as my indoor fancies, I still love them. Well, I let the neighbor who used to own one of the fish I have (I sort of subtly rescued him) feed the fish last night, I am assuming he left the lid off of the fish food and left it on the rim of the well. Sometime last night a cat made a move on my babies splitting straight down one of my little guys dorsal fins. Thankfully everyone is OK despite being a little shaken up. BUT the hole thing of fish food fell into the well clouding up and ruining the levels of my previously perfect levels!! All my fish were bottom sitting IN A PILE so I freaked out and put them in a pitcher while I did an 80 % water change and there is still fish food floating around. I wouldn't doubt my fish are WAYY overfed and there belly's probably feel like there gonna explode. The water is soo gross looking and on top of all this, cat hair clogged my filter and I have to get a new one ASAP! All my fish are doing a little better but I still don't know if I can consider them safe. I am soo upset! This is BULL! :wall And I feel like such an idiot because I could of prevented all of this, because the cat wouldn't of even seen my fish if I remembered to turn the porch light off!

Oh no Kayla what a mess!!! And a shame that your fish got hurt...Your rant was pretty calm compared to the one I would have posted if this happened to me!!! Sorry to hear about everything. Hope you get everything sorted out fast..

Kayla, hon, don't blame yourself for leaving the porch light on. Cats are nocturnal animals and their sense of smell is incredible. He would have smelled the fish and the water both. Apparently he's been there before if cat hair clogged up your filter. Is there anyway you could make a cover out of netting or screening that the cat can't get through? A piece of chickenwire for fencing would be sturdy and perfect for this.

Hope everything clears up soon for you!

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thank you, and also for the chicken wire idea, that may be possible I'll have to see. The fish are acting a lot better despite the one who has a slashed dorsal fin, he too is doing alright. I STILL DONT HAVE A FILTER THOUGH! Ughh, I'm defiantly getting it tomorrow though, there is no way I can't get it tomorrow because I have a party going on at my house the next day. This also means I don't have any food atm which stinks because my indoor fish ran out of food too and I used a pinch of the outdoor fishes. The water is nasty looking but the levels are /OK/ not good but not bad and the fish seem OK.

I bumped my elbow on the wells corner while doing a huge water change and now have a lump on my elbow called 'water on the elbow' like 'water on the knee' but on the elbow.. Which stinks. It doesnt hurt but it doesn't look pretty either. But my fish are worth it. I've decided if anything happens to them though, I don't think I'll buy new fish, instead improve the well by adding netting and safety proofing it and let some of my indoor fish in it, because it is a two babies overstocked and thats no good, not that I want anything to happen to my outdoor fish by any means though. I just kinda numbed myself and thought it over what if because a while ago they did not look good at all and still they are acting better but I've learned that you never know with fish.

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish