New Fish Via Fedex!

Here they are shortly after going into the tank:

YellowFishFirstPic.jpg

I picked them up at the FedEx Express office this morning. That worked out really well. I think the people there were kind of amused by a box of fish, and knew right away where it was when I asked for it. We were home in 5 minutes, no riding around in a delivery truck at all.

The water they were in had ammonia of 8.0, and pH 6.4, so I put the fish into the tank right away. They did not seem shocked, in fact started swimming around, sometimes resting on the bottom, sometimes huddling together.

About 4 hours later, they are swimming well. My husband went into the room, probably too abruptly, and fins went flying and water went splashing. I even went quietly into their room just now, and they are quite skittish. They're 6-7 inch comets, and very strong, fast swimmers.

Given their activity level, is it still too early to start feeding them? Daryl, you did say to wait a day. And when I do start feeding them, would they be better off with peas, or with protein like frozen brine shrimp, or a prepared goldfish food?

Any other thoughts? I think they're off to a good start. :D

Oooh, they're purdy! I would almost be afraid to have a fishy mailed to me.. What if it got lost??

As far as food, I wouldn't know. I would probably just feed them regular fishy food.

Ammonia was 8? Yuck! How far away were they being shipped from?

Whooo. They're beautiful! :wub:

My common is actually pretty skittish after waterchanges and such...he seems to get more startled than my oranda.

Yay! They're amazing... Welcome new fishies!

They were shipped from Ohio to Massachusetts. I forgot about that effect of low pH mitigating the high ammonia. Thanks for the reminder, Heidi.

Yes, Anic, I was really, really nervous about getting them mailed.

And thanks for helping me welcome them, uberleslie. I didn't know the common/comet type of goldfish could be more skittish, but I guess that's something to keep in mind. :OO

So they are just going to have to go hungry another day, I guess. Well, I think they're glad to be out of a box anyway.

:goldfish::goldfish:

Edited by daryl
As requested. :)

Beautiful! They look just like the fish in your avatar! What are their names?

It is my sense that common and comet are more "wild" than their fancy cousins in the sense that they are more skittish and more easily stressed by water changes, handling, etc. In constrast, fancy goldfish are practically like dogs in that they relish contact with people and will sometimes actually seek out petting.

If you got them from Ken I am sure you will be happy with them. He is a great guy and his fish are very healthy.

:D Acupunk, you noticed the avatar. Subconsciously I must have been looking for those fish since I joined Koko's. I have been thinking that if I ever take a picture that doesn't belong in "Worst Fishy Photos", I will replace my avatar.

I did put a cover over half their tank, so they have sort of a cave to go into. They still swim all about, and have started to poke at things looking for food.

I do have other common/comets that eat out of my hand, and swarm about and nibble on me when I go into the pond. I wouldn't say they seek out petting, but they are pretty tame. Hopefully these new fish will become tame as well, once the stress of the trip wears off, and they come to realize the meals here aren't that bad. Maybe they will even come when I call them. But... what to call them... they don't have names yet. :hummm

Beautiful royal emperor fish! (once upon a time, only the emperor was allowed to own "gold" goldfish.)

Beautiful! They look just like the fish in your avatar! What are their names?

It is my sense that common and comet are more "wild" than their fancy cousins in the sense that they are more skittish and more easily stressed by water changes, handling, etc. In constrast, fancy goldfish are practically like dogs in that they relish contact with people and will sometimes actually seek out petting.

If you got them from Ken I am sure you will be happy with them. He is a great guy and his fish are very healthy.

I agree. Fancies are little, pokey, puppy dogs. They just can't swim all that fast away so they just go, "oh heck! I give up!" While the single tails know they're greased lightning so they use it every chance they get! lol! :tomuch:

Wow, they look great! Are they going in the pond or staying inside?

My comet, Ross, was pretty wild when we first got him. He slammed himself against the bag until I took him out, and was skittish at first. He has calmed down a lot now, but is still speedy. He doesn't quite eat from my hand now, it is more like trying to eat my hand! :D

They are two beautiful fish, and I'm sure they will settle down a bit when they get used to their new home. Enjoy them!