Nitrite And Nitrate

Guest Dayna_02

A nitrate level of 10 is just fine (anything below 20 is okay). A nitrite level of 1.0 is rather high though (if it it's that way, you should best do a relatively large water change; also, it might be helpful to test your tap water for nitrites). It should normally stay under 0.20 or something. Is it possible that your tank isn't cycled or that the cycle has been damaged somewhat?

Edited by Erinaceus

Anything other than zero for nitrite is a problem. How long has your tank been set up? If you have a mature filter and are getting 1.0 ppm for nitrite then you've had a cycle crash and need to fix the problem. If your tank is new you need to test every day and change water to keep nitrite below 0.5 ppm at the most. Also, you can add aquarium salt to your water to help protect your fish against nitrite stress until you can get the situation fixed.

Guest Dayna_02

my tank is still in cycle. its been just over three weeks now. and how do you damage a cycle? and i just did a forty percent water change. i was wondering if the nitrites being so high are part of their spike in the cycle? i'm new to all of this

If you only changed 40% of the water, then your nitrite is still 0.6 ppm (1.0 - 0.4 = 0.6) which is still to high.

Are you using strips or a drop test kit to test your water? Strips are unreliable -- you really need to get a drop test kit.

What is the pH of your water? Ammonia is more toxic at high pH and nitrite is more toxic at low pH.

If you are only three weeks into cycling your tank then you've still got a ways to go. You should test every day and change water to keep ammonia and nitrite below 0.5 ppm. It can take 6-8 weeks (or more) for a filter to mature, but it is such a luxury once you're done with the cycling process.

Guest Dayna_02

I have the drop test kits and my PH level is at a 7.6 which is the same as my house. i tested my house and its zeros across the board.