Guest valdeez65

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.4

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?25 gal running for 4 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Marineland Eclipse system 2

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 4 gal change

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 4 inches or so each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime for water changes

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Currently putting Melafix in to help out with the problem...

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? No

[*]What do you feed your fish? Hikari Lionhead

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Explained below...

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Below...

Hi Everyone. Last night i noticed blood at the base of the dorsal fin, streaking into the fin itself on my Ryukin. The ryukin was lethargic and bottom sitting as well as not eating. I suspect that my other fish, a lionhead, has hole in the head disease as there are white pimples forming on his wen and the next day, there is a hole in the wen where the pimple was. I checked on the ryukin this morning and found him sitting in the corner of the tank behind an amazon sword not moving aside from the gills. I assisted him to move him into the center of the tank where the water flow was a bit stronger and noticed that it looks like the dorsal fin is wasting away... I added Melafix last night to help the healing, but i'm not sure if that is going to help out much. I'm worried that there is some sort of infection in my tank that i haven't noticed until yesterday. I also have 3 live plants (just for some more background info). Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest valdeez65

I ordered some Jungle labs parasite medicated food and the bacterial medicated food as well as some Prazipro. Hopefully they get here in time!

Hi Valdeez65,

its gr8 you have all the info up there...the experienced members and moderators will definitely address the issue in some time...Until then I think for them to better understand the issue it would be really good to post some pictures..this would make it more easy for them...I really hope they get better..and I can assure you..you are at the right place for help...

I would also not use any meds or medicated food..unless someone advises...hold on...but its good you ordered it..so that you have it in hand, just in case...good thinking there... :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

• Admin

If it was me right now. I would get "Maracyn-Two" this will help with the "septicemia" that is going on in the tail and base of tail. I would like to see this fish....as I want to see the hole in the wen...

Its almost like there is a bacterial infection in your water....Did something happen to your cycle or added new fish or change anything about your tank lately?

Guest valdeez65

I haven't done anything at all to the tank aside from regular water changes.

Here is the fish with the bloody streaks in the dorsal fin (now gone, but the fin itself is too)

http://AdamSpiller.smugmug.com/photos/347243961_WimBx-XL.jpg

Here is my lionhead which i fear has the hole in the head disease.

http://AdamSpiller.smugmug.com/photos/347243994_sf4TK-L.jpg

The newest thing i have noticed on the Ryukin is that his eyes are really sunken in and more flush to his head than they were before. I won't be able to get any Marycin-Two tonight, but if he survives, i'll pick up some tomorrow...

• Admin

How long have they both been together in that tank....If you havent done one yet do a water change...30% this will help the fish out....How deep is your gravel?

Guest valdeez65

I brought them home together, so they have been in the tank for around 4 months. My gravel is about an inch and a half deep. Mostly because I have an amazon sword in the back that needs substrate. I will do a 30% water change in a few minutes. Does the Lionhead look like he has hole in the head? There was wen in that gap before, and there are 3 other locations where the wen has opened up a bit. When I got him, his wen was solid all around.

Guest valdeez65

I'm sad to report that my Ryukin has died. Any additional help for the suspected hole in the head for my lionhead would be appreciated.