Split Fin

Guest Bbop

Hi everyone.. Bbop here...I have an orange orange whose caudal fin just split on one side!!Whats going on?It doesn't look like finrot..Orange oranda..

Hi Bbop and Welcome to Koko's! :) In order to really help with the situation we'll need more information. Please answer the following questions:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt" bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Just copy and paste these questions into your reply. Thanks! :)

Hi Bbop and welcome!

I think many newcomers to the forum don't understand why we ask that you answer the questions above. There are many situations and many diagnoses for fish and the fish can have the same or similar symptoms for different reasons. Most problems relate back to the water or living conditions of your fish. Your fish may LOOK fine and LOOK happy and the water may look clear as a bell, but these outward observations can really be deceiving.

Without these readings its hard for the helpers and moderators to give you any correct advice. Its like if your car is making a funny noise and you call the mechanic. He's not going to be able to tell you what the problem is over the phone, he'll have to look at the car. While we can't physically LOOK at your fish, answering the questions above gives us a good idea of what the conditions of your water are, your cleaning and feeding routines, how long the tank has been set up and how many fish you have in your tank, etc. We're not being nosy or difficult. We just need as much info as possible.

If you don't have a water testing kit, you can take a sample of your water to your local lfs and they will test it for you. Just be sure that they give you precise numbers...not a simple "ok" or "not okay".

All of us here take a lot of pleasure in helping and take it seriously when anyone posts asking for help. We've all had problems and we all came here looking for help, and still do.

Hoping to hear from you soon! :)

My ryukin did the same thing. He has an amazing dorsal fin; it's beautiful and he's been in perfect health. Then I noticed a small split in it. I figured it was from a tank decoration because I know he and the tank are healthy. I was concerned, but thought I'd just wait it out a little bit. After only a few days, it healed right back up. Not to pat myself on the back, but that's what can happen when you keep good water. So, it sounds like you did the same! Good for you!