On No Dropsy Again!

Jeana727

I noticed Buster (who had a really bad battle with Dropsy back in June) was acting a little "droopy" yesterday. Today when I got home I see that it is Dropsy.....again. Poor Little Guy! I had to switch some fish around, but I have him by himself in the 29 gallon tank. I added some salt & Maracyn Two. I dropped in a few MetroMed pellets......JUST in case he might eat something.

OH I HATE TO SEE HIM LIKE THIS A G A I N!

Anything else I need to do? Everyone jump in there! I am very attached to Buster!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! I know how relapses feel! Sounds like you're doing everything just right though (as long as the salt is epsom salt). Here's wishing you and Buster the best!

What is the GH of your water? A few weeks ago I was doing some in-depth reading on other goldfish forums and came across some info that suggested that it is important to bring the calcium level of your water up when you have sick fish, especially with dropsy. This particular site said that the calcium content of goldfish blood is 250 ppm and that you should try to approximate that in your water when your fish is ailing, particularly if they are having problems with fluid regulation (as in dropsy). If your GH is low, you can add liquid calcium chloride (you can buy at the LFS -- it is used for reef tanks) to gradually bring the GH up to 14 degrees (approx. 250 ppm).

Hopefully Trinket will be by soon to comment on this advice. I have never used this approach before myself, so please don't go on what I am saying without some additional input.

Good luck!

(Yes It's Epsom salt)

Poor thing looks like a little orange Blimp! I am going to test the GH in a minute. I don't know if he has eaten at all but I hope he will. He looks so miserable! :(

Ok I have added a heater, gonna get it to 80 degrees. But, Darn it, I have EVERY kind of water test EXCEPT GH!!! Crap!

When he got this terrible thing awhile back I really feared I would loose him. Somehow he pulled thru. This time again I fear the worst. He just looks SO terrible.

I really appreciate all the well wishes! I am going to try to think positive!!

Edited by Jeana727

Just got home from work. He's very swollen. No I have not SEEN him eat any of the Metromeds :( I put a bit in this morning & just dropped in a little bit. I am hoping he has eaten some. Poor lil' guy just looks pitiful.

OH no I am sooo sorry!!!!

The only thing I can think while waiting for someone to come on with more help is to try to hand feed him the metromeds.. There is a thread somewhere (I'll try to find it) where Pixie suggests lifted the fish's mouth just above the water line and trying to give him the MM. Even if he spits it out, maybe SOME will get in.. I will try to hunt that down. Come on Buster, eat!!

Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought of force feeding. It was easier than I thought. I just reached in a gently picked him up, no fighting on his end & I had pre-soaked 3 pellets. I think at least two pieces got in! I hope it will help, but I am afraid little Buster will need a miracle.

For dropsy Jeana Metromeds. The medigold have that kanamycin which is very harsh on the kidneys. Kidneys are impaired if there is dropsy :(

Whew! Good, that's what I started him on! I was reading around and thought elsewhere said the opposite! So I came back to the REAL source of good information to get the RIGHT ANSWER! Gee, I would have croaked if I had started him on the wrong thing! I really want to give him the best shot at getting better. ((Dang it says that RIGHT ON THE LABEL.....well, it just scared me when I was searching!!))

I did a little tank cleaning for him too.

Edited by Jeana727

He is still holding his own. He's as fat as he can be. Right now, surprizingly, he is kind of swimming around. He was just staying in one place just looking pitiful. I will feed his three more pellets this evening. MAYBE that will help! I appreciate the suggestion of hand feeding!! I have the tank at 80%.

I am hoping cleaning the tank was a good idea. I felt it would help in at least two ways: A) fresh water B) Remove any eckies that might be in there.

Anything else I might do?

((Oh crap!)) I salted the tank this morning after I cleaned it! I forgot there is a Mystery Snail in there! Do I remove him and put him in another tank?? Would he take "germs" or whatever over to the other tank.......the other tank IS where Buster was to start with. Advice needed! Do you think if he's still ok he is ok staying in the salted tank??

Edited by Jeana727

Well, I tried to hand feed Buster this evening but he was having none of it! :( He still allowed me to gently hold him & I began TRYING to feed him. I am pretty sure I got ONE pellet in but he locked his mouth shut. I tried to out wait him I would hold him under the water then pull him back out for a secound or two to try to put in a pellet but he just would not take it.

FRUSTRATING!! Although handling him doesn't seem to worry him too much I just didn't want to add stress to his already pitiful situation so I put him back in the tank.

((Right now he is swimming around in the tank! Come On Buster!!))

I'm so glad he is swimming!!!! Thank god SOME of the food went in.. Maybe it was enough to get him up and going, and then maybe soon he will start to eat them on his own???? C'mon Buster!!!!!

I hope he keeps improving.. fingers crossed. GOOD LUCK! : )