Am I Crazy Or Morally Wrong?

I've been in the process of cycling a small tank to house one fancy. I've been keeping my eye out for a larger tank on Craigslist. Someone posted an ad that they have have three very large fish (about 5 years old & about 8 - 10 inches) that have outgrown their tank (they are currently in a 29 gallon). This person has a common, a fancy (he thinks a Ryukin) and some sort of Cichlid (he isn't sure). He is willing to give them all away with the tank. He wants them to all go to a home together, though I did try to explain that this is a really bad combination of fish together.

So the question is if I go pick them and the tank up would it be wrong to find homes for the common (I know someone with a great indoor pond for this guy) and the Cichlid (maybe my LFS?) and keep the tank and the fancy?

I'm not sure how I feel about this, though I love the idea of a larger tank and hopefully a handsome goldfish.

I think you need to consider the possibility that these fish will have compromised health as a result of being kept in too small a space with poor water conditions (almost certainly the case). Sometimes fish can tolerate these kinds of conditions for years and then crash "all of a sudden". Poor water conditions can cause irreversible harm to a fish if they've been kept that way for a long time. You would hate to get the fish and get attached to it and then have to struggle with lots of health problems.

Hi Aquapunk and everyone,

You bring up a good point. I can't imagine that they are that healthy. If he is right about the size that is thirty inches of fish in a twenty-nine gallon. I can't believe they even grew to be this big.

So would I be helping at all if I find homes for the common and the other guy and then keep an eye on the fancy and see what his health is like? Or is it better to just wait and buy a larger tank when I can afford it and start fresh?

A part of me is torn because I have a couple of goldfish that I would really like and I have no idea what these guys look like at all. But that seems sort of silly.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks guys!

Amy

Sorry for the double post...I just thought of one other thing. It is kind of weird that he is planning to give them all to me with the same tank (won't they still be too big for it in my house...of course they will be). I told him I had a ten gallon so he must know that I am planning to seperate them, but even that isn't enough space. Are LFS usually unwilling to take big fish like these? I can't imagine why he wouldn't have done that.

some lfs just dont have the capacity to take a large fish like that at a moments notice....but if you have an active craigslist you probably will find the cichlid a good home that way. or you can keep them until a lfs has room for them or finds a good buyer for you. but this is coming from the bleeding heart that buys the sickest looking fish at w-mart...lol. i would still go for it. even if you dont want them in the end, you'll have most likely placed them in good homes where they'll be well taken care of.

Thanks for the advice. It seems that I'm not hearing back from the guy now, so we will see what happens. If I hear back from him I think I am going to do it, even if I end up finding them all new homes. It is probably for the best rather than imagining that poor Ryukin trying to get food from that fast Common and that poor Common being crammed in with two other fish.

On the one hand, I have had to turn my head a few times on deals like this. Fish, coming with the tank. I knew that the whole setup they were coming with was wrong and that I didn't have the facilities to deal with them and I just wasn't willing to accept the work to make things right like you, but sometimes, you do just have to walk away from things. We do it every time we walk into a fish store and don't buy all the fish.

On the other hand, if you do hear back from him and do take the whole setup, you MUST seperate the fish and you MUST get them proper housing. People love cichlids and if an LFS won't take him, I'd bet you wouldn't have too much trouble re-advertising him on Craigslist and finding him a home that way. And sending the common to a pond would be the greatest life anyone could give a common! That's like retiring to Club Med! Whoo-hoo!

The last thing is this. Settling for a fish you may not have wanted. The ryukin. If you had your heart set on one specific type of fish and only have room for one more fish, filling that space with a fish you didn't really want may not make you as happy as you should be after getting your "dream tank." I like ryukins, so I probably wouldn't be disappointed with this.

Did I give an answer. No.... just doing my libra best to balance things out and look at both sides. Okay, if it were me, to be truly honest, I don't think I'd take it. It would be more work than I was willing to accept.

Thanks, Lynda for your Libra balanced advice. I haven't heard back from him today so he may have found someone else. I was starting to kind of lean against it. I could probably find a used tank (without fish) for $50 (I'm leaning towards something not larger than a 40 gallon after our recent earthquake...imagining all that water on the floor and flopping goldies scared me), so maybe I just should be patient and wait. I just hope that someone that knows what they are doing picks them up. If something changes and I get things worked out and of course I provide/find proper housing for these guys I will post pictures.