I Think My Goldfish Is Dying

Guest anatanokao

Guest anatanokao

more than likely he is on the brink of death, but is there anything i can do?

he's a small goldfish, and i've had him since may 3, 2008 and i havent had any problem with him since. i woke up this morning and he was just laying on his side in the corner of the tank, but he's still breathing. i have another goldfish in the tank with him, and that ones just fine. i did a partial water change about 4 days ago, and that's the only thing that has changed in the past few days for them. for the past two days he would sit in the corner and only come up for food. today he's lying in the corner, breathing, and won't even eat.

it's a 20 gallon tank, and i've done 3 water changes of about 4-5 gallons since i've had it. i've been using it for 2 months now.

also, he's missing one fin, but he's been like that since i got him and it never been a problem. but for the past few days he would swim as if it was bothering him, like he would "wiggle" more to compensate for it.

i know lots of ppl are probably saying "its just a fish", but i really do love my fish. so can anyone tell me what is wrong with him and is there anything i can do?

HI again!

Is this the same goldfish that you are talking about in the velvet thread, or a different one? That last thing you said in that one was that the fish seemed to be doing better, but I just want to make sure which fish, which tank etc..

Just for anyone new, it's probably best that you post up current information (box at the top) with current readings.. Thanx : )

It'd be great if you'd post your params so we don't have to search for your other thread. I CAN tell you though that 2-3 wcs of 5 gallons in 2 months is not nearly enough for 2 fish in a 20 gallon.

For right now, please do a 100% wc that is temperature and ph matched. You need to be doing this once a month anyway. Don't change the filter. Just swish it out with old tank water if it is really cruddy. This will help your fish immensely right now.

Hi Anatanokao,

Do you have water tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH? If so, could you tell us what your latest levels of those are? If not, it would be rather hard to give give decent diagnosis, as most problems can be traced back to poor water quality. There's a good rule for when your goldfish aren't feeling well: "when in doubt, do a water change". The reason for this is that high concentrations of ammonia, nitrate and nitrate are really harmful for (gold)fish.

Goldfish produce a lot of waste (with which I'm most of all referring to ammonia, not just the visible waste). What your filter does is change the ammonia into nitrate and then that nitrite into nitrate. The nitrate doesn't disppear on itself though, so it's essential that you do regular water changes to keep those levels down. If you can, try to do a water chance as large as possible (as close to 100% as you're comfortable with). Take into account that e.g. & 50% water change only halves the concentrations, while it is often possible that they are five times what they maximally should be. Most members here do about one 50 to 60% water change per week to keep the nitrates down. That way your fish will be healthier, happier and better able to ward of an diseases that might be present in the tank (sometimes parasites can remain dormant for years, and suddenly become active and dangerous once the fish are feeling unwell e.g. from bad water quality).

I know that a lot of people have the "it's just a fish" reaction, but you can be sure that on this forum, you won't find anyone who talks like that. We all adore our goldies and would go to great lengths to keep them healthy and happy. It's not because there's cheap to buy that we should discard them at the first sign of trouble. Otherwise, following that logic, no-one would bother to take care of their own flesh-and-blood children either. Ask all the question you have; the more the better. You'll find everyone here that has good advice to offer will do so gladly.

-edit: Vickie beat me to it :) -

Edited by Erinaceus

Guest anatanokao
HI again!

Is this the same goldfish that you are talking about in the velvet thread, or a different one? That last thing you said in that one was that the fish seemed to be doing better, but I just want to make sure which fish, which tank etc..

Just for anyone new, it's probably best that you post up current information (box at the top) with current readings.. Thanx : )

Um help. I didn't post this?

Anatanokao, you also have another thread in Emergency about a ryukin with mouth problems. If you have another thread about velvet, are all of these fish in the same tank? Are we talking about the same fish? Its kind of hard to help you in 3 different areas.

Possibly a mod could merge all 3 threads?

Guest anatanokao
Anatanokao, you also have another thread in Emergency about a ryukin with mouth problems. If you have another thread about velvet, are all of these fish in the same tank? Are we talking about the same fish? Its kind of hard to help you in 3 different areas.

Possibly a mod could merge all 3 threads?

I DIDN'T POST THIS THREAD!! I don't know what happened, but I did not post this. My velvet problem is in my 30 and my mouth problem is in my 50.

Guest anatanokao
I am soooooooo confused... :krazy:

As am I. I posted about Velvet a few days ago and then I went to post about my ryukin's mouth problem and there is this post that I didn't post O_o I am so confused how this happened.