It's Taking Ages!

Guest katie.P

Guest katie.P

ok, i have only had my tank cycling for 4 days now but it seems like 4 years!!

how did you people survive with all the talk of goldish already on the board?!

getting soo impatient lol

It's far to early to be getting so impatient after only 4 days! lol! I'm assuming you're doing a fishless cycle if the impatience is setting in? I guess it's just a matter of resigning yourself to the fact that it will take a long, long time. Yeah, it's frustrating, but you can just console yourself in the fact that you know you're doing it right and making a healthy home for your future fishies. That said, I've not used One and Only, but I've heard some pretty amazing things about how fast it can get a tank cycled. And not from outside sources. From members here! So, you might want to find some online (you might have a store near you that sells it, but that's not too likely as it's not in a lot of stores). :goodluck

Edited by lynda441

I have heard a lot about Biospira...a lot of people recommend it...also having either filters, or tank decorations, gravel etc from an established tank (a known trustworthy healthy good tank..not pet store fish tank..NEVER :blink: ..)...can speed up the process...

I know its a lot of patience seeing an empty tank and when you are all exited about getting new fish.. :) ...good Luck..and good job with fishless cycling.. :)

when I cycled my 20 gallon tank...I had a goldfish already in a 5 gallon for a month....I filled half of the 20 gallon with regular tap water...and the remaining half over a period of 2 weeks with the water that I changed from my 5 gallon...put half of the gravel and a lil plastic plant from the small tank...agreed not a lot but some bacteria in there...of course I could not get the filter going for 2 weeks..but had a bubbler in there for oxygen and kept the tank open..meaning no hood...In these 2 weeks..I had a new filter pad sitting in the 5 gallon tank to collect all the bb it could..after the 20 gallon was almost full..I got my filter going there...I also put the old filter pad from my 5 gallon in there for extra help...and then this cycle continued for 2-3 weeks...I got the water tested at the pet store and they said it was good...I did a huge water change...transferred the fish and the entire 5 gallon water from the old tank..the bio wheel too...and then kept up with water chnages and testing the water myself..didnt have problems...yeah it took 4-5 weeks..but worked out well...

so, can people tel me abit more about one and only, how does it work?

Any of these boosters have the actual bacteria you find in a cycled tank. It works best when you add a full bioload of fish into a properly stocked tank. The bb booster is dormant when you buy it, and once you add it to your tank, it is very hungry, and if you only have a few fish in the tank, the excess bacteria will die off from starvation. Then when you add more fish to the tank, the bacteria must multiply again to catch up to the added ammonia in the tank.Hence you should add fish to the tank as soon as you put these boosters in there...This is what I know about Bio Spira...I don't know about One and Only...Also, I don't know if this is successful...I had a product named 'Cycle' but really no clue if it worked...cos I have always waited for 4-5 weeks before getting any fish...

Guest katie.P

so what i have is called filter start, it is basicaly a bacteria coleny waiting to be added to the tank and i have to add it every 2 days, so what you saying is that once you have a bb booster in your tank you should add fish, THATS why it says to add fish on the 7th day on the instruction bit, oh i get it now!

yeah...thts wat the suggested way is...and aquarists are kinda very positive , if followed all instructions..the tank does cycle fast...but I have heard that in the beginning the cycle does speed up..but after a few days..there is a crash...has happened to a lot of people...and people lose the fish cos the water parameters mess up big time...I have no clue why the crash happens..but its always recommended to let the cycle happen naturally...sure you can add the bb booster...but wait for as long as you would wait for the natural cycle..I did that when I used 'Cycle'...don't know if the product helped..but the cycle was complete in about 4-5 weeks..which I think is the natural course... :)

Hello Katie! I know it is annoying to wait through the whole fishless cycle process, but I have to recommend that you wait it out. Do you currently have a water test? What are your water parameters at this point?

Although I do recommend the use of bottled beneficial bacteria, I think they only really help in the later stages of cycling, and in x2 or x3 the dose recommended.

Check out this thread, it documents what I referred to as the Fishless Cylce from He**... but than again, I'm not a very patient person...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=70017&hl=

Hope that helps!

Guest katie.P

well, i have done a ph test, that came out as 7.5 i need to get some ammonia and nitrate tests and i havent done a nitrite cuz it says to wait till later ?

Okay.... I would strongly recommend getting the API Master Test Kit; it's a drop tester and is considered far more accurate than any test strips, etc. I would also recommend starting up a Water Quality Log or Journal to follow the progress of your cycle. :)

well, i have done a ph test, that came out as 7.5 i need to get some ammonia and nitrate tests and i havent done a nitrite cuz it says to wait till later ?

Your ph is good. Perfect even. Ammonia is the first thing that will show up, so you do need that test first. So, you need the ammonia test now. Nitrites show up next, so that is the second test you'll need. If you can't afford a nitrites test quite yet, you will need to get one when you see your ammonia dropping a little. The nitrates is the last thing you need to test for. And, again, when you see your nitrites dropping, that's when you'll need to get the nitrates test. When these things start to drop and when the next one spikes can happen pretty fast. Just in case you didn't know, make sure your tests are drop tests as they give much more accurate readings.

I'll get back with you on your question about One and Only.

You have a choice on how to get that cycle going, either by adding store-bought ammonia, or fish.

I find it easier, and certainly less work and less stress (and maybe even faster) when I've just used the ammonia and do a fishless cycle. You can add a fair amount of ammonia and really give that cycle a push. When you use fish instead, you have to be really careful to keep the ammonia low through water changes, to be sure not to harm them. But with ammonia from a bottle, you just add the ammonia, and levels can be higher, and I don't worry about changing water all the time. I read on here, though, be sure it's pure ammonia, and has no additives in it.

And yes, a beneficial bacteria product may be able to help, certainly can't hurt, so go ahead and add it! And once you have your test kit, and you start testing for nitrites and nitrates, you can also tell how far along you are in the cycle. The beneficial bacteria feast on the ammonia, and create nitrites. Once you start to measure nitrites you are getting someplace. Then those good bacteria feast on the nitrites and convert them to nitrates. Once you measure nitrates, you're really getting somewhere. Once you measure zero ammonia and zero nitrites, and you're registering nitrates, you know you're cycled. Testing all along the way helps with knowing where you are in the cycle.

Then, do a 100% water change. So as not to upset the beneficial bacteria, and be sure to add dechlorinated water, pH and temperature matched as best you can.

Then, FISH! :D

Good luck!

Here's a link to Dr. Tim's website about One and Only. I want to add a few caveats to what Dr. Tim says.

First, you don't need to use the specific product, AquaCleanse, to remove chlorine, chloramines, etc. That's his product and, of course, he's going to recommend that one. You can use any dechlorinator you choose, but you DO need to use dechlorinator when adding new tap water.

Next, when he talks about adding fish at the beginning, this is for a cycle with fish, so you don't need to add fish as he suggests. As you know, I'm sure, we here prefer the fishless cycle. Sometimes we don't get a choice, but when we do have a choice, fishless is the best way to go.

Third, when he says that One and Only makes water immediately ready to add fish, he is ONLY referring to the hearty fish, i.e., minnows, danios, that are typically used in a cycle with fish. A goldfish is an extremely sensitive fish and cannot be included in this general statement.

I have heard that One and Only really speeds up a cycle, but there is no replacement for patience, close monitoring and testing.

My first tank never did cycle, had to replace it before it finished. It was too small. Second was the 55g, it took a month to just get ammonia because it was so big and my fish were so small. Once it came I used BioSpira and still took another month and a half. I used Cycle as well. Ammonia will go away fairly quick, Nitrites take for ever. All in all it took me easily 2 1/2 months.