Help With New Penguin 350?

Guest Moose

Guest Moose

Hi. (:

I just got my Penguin 350 yesterday (yay!), and I put it in today but... It doesn't appear to be working. I put some gravel and such into the tank to cycle, so there's gravel laying around in bags, bare bottom, but it doesn't appear to be..filtering...? There's water coming out the top, the biowheels are spinning, but I don't think it's sucking. I don't feel any suction... There is alot of dirt just laying on the bottom, from the gravel I put in from an established tank, the filter is right over the dirt... Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm used to cheap filters and am totally lost. All I can think of is...Is my water level too high? Does it have to be level to the ground? Is my impellor in wrong? Should I unplug it until I can figure out what's wrong?

Thanks for reading. (:

Edited by Moose

It is most decidedly filtering - it is filtering the water that goes through it....

As far as the heavy waste the has sunken to the floor, unless the fish swish it up with their tails or such, generally, a filter cannot suck it up. If you place the filter intake grate all the way down to the bottom of the tank, resting, basically, on the bottom glass, you will get a bit more sucked up, but, by and large - large debris will not be taken up unless it is suspended in the water.

If there is water being sucked up into the filter and sent out over the biowheels, the filter is working splendidly. You say this is stuff from your gravel - smallish rock pieces. Remember - even tiny sand is heavy - and does not float, no matter what. It usually takes more suction that you get in the average gravity syphon to get small pieces of rock, goldfish "teeth" and other heavy debris.... a standard filter (or even an outstanding one!) will not do the trick.

You should be able to tell that your filter is working. Take a look at the blue floss on your cartridge - I will bet that you will find some mulm there already!

:)

Guest Moose

Thanks for the answers. Doesn't matter now anyways. Figures the tank will stand full outdoors for 2 increments of 48 hours, one refill in between, and as soon as I get it inside it dumps 20 gallons of water into my floor. There goes my hopes of having goldfish. Splooooooooosh.

Guest Moose

Nope. I don't have that much money. I check craigslist and freecycle daily. And there's never anything there. The leak is right in the corner. I don't know if I should trust sealant or not. Not like I got all excited over finally getting a decent aquarium set up after months of research and waiting. Nope. Not at all.

my 29 gal actually had a tank leak not too long ago (maybe last year)... and i patched it up with aquarium sealant... :)

and as you can see it's got my neon tetras and white cloud mountain minnows in it just fine. :D

i say give it a shot... aquarium sealant is what 3-5 bucks?

definitely better than waiting to buy a whole new tank! ;)

that's my :twocents